Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

UnReal World: first time player advice?

dagorkan

Arbiter
I've actually played one game of this once before last year though I was kind of wandering around aimlessly trying to catch a ton of fish to trade in the village in exchange for some proper equipment... I burned some of the fish, others rotted and I couldn't find any more, I ate a raw fish and fell sick and progressively things got worse from then on. Lasted exactly four days

So I'm starting again, same tribe (Seal hunter people) and I seem to have some excellent stats apart from Strength. I have a phobia of people (demosphobia?) and a skinny physique, now I'm in the starting location. I chose to start in Spring hoping that gives me slightly higher chances...

Are there any basic things I absolutely need to know to survive? Fun things to do, warnings of what not to do?

Here's my stats screen...

urw01.jpg

Last time I think I over invested in weapon skills, even taking some points in sword skill though I never got my hands on anything more than a stone fish knife. I'm guessing Survival has high priority as well as Ritual (took a wound staunching one), fishing for money and cookery not to get sick. What else? Weatherlore? Do I need foraging if I'm going to stick to the lakes where hopefully I'll have access to all the dried fish I can eat?

edit:
I remember actually that I did put my weapon skills to use, melee is pretty cool. Starving and ill I came across a peasant guy and attacked him, almost killed him too but I was almost dead myself so I ran away, died shortly afterward.

The Dude

Liturgist
Putting some into climbing can be a good thing. Climbing trees is an excellent way to scout, and I don't thing there's any animal that can get you if you climb a tree. Personally I always put a point or two in timbercraft to cut down on tree cutting time. Physician can be useful too, since you will eventually be injured in one way or another.

dagorkan

Arbiter
Good ideas, now what's fun to DO in UnReal World? I've played two dies and now have a nice supply of 40 roasted lamb chops (found a stray lamb). I'm thinking of trading some for better weapons and heading off at random... to build a shelter and find more food to keep from starving..

The Dude

Liturgist
It's pretty freeform so you could just try some of the missions if you want structure.

Some random suggestions:

Slay a whole village and claim it as your own.(You probably won't make it without a ranged weapon.)

Clevemode: Build a cottage with associated buildings. (They have to be connected.) Stockpile all sorts of foods and supplies. Then build a fence with traps lining the outer side. Then clear all vegetation in a 10-20 square zone around the fence. Finally: Bunker up and wait for the forest fire (unsure if you can start one yourself)shooting anyone that comes within your "zone". Alernatively you could engage them in conversation and spew random bullshit in the chat box.

Don't trade for *anything*. Make everything yourself. This is pretty hard though and maybe should come later.

Make a full suit of multilayered clothing.

Don't settle anywhere, just roam the map trying to explore as much as possible. This is pretty hard but also pretty satisfying.

Build a trapfence. Build a V-shaped fence over most of a map. Put lots of traps in it. Profit.

There's a lot to do really, and it's like most freeform games in that you have to set your own goal if you don't wanna follow any of the missions.

dagorkan

Arbiter
Hmm, the missions are supposed to be for registered users only and I can't remember if in the end I did register. I thought I did.

LCJr.

Erudite
I haven't tried this for awhile, how's the interface these days? More mouse driven or still keyboard heavy?

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Keyboard heavy.

What I learned:
Spears, followed by swords are the best melee weapons, of course if your tribe has poor skills in these you should avoid them. Don't know how good are those new axes, the new battle axe may be as good as a battle sword. Javelins can be easily made and they do a lot of damage in melee.
No one can cross open pits except you, you can create a safe zone.
Always hide.
Survival and fishing are good for survival. Foraging is useless.
You can wear multiple clothing/armour on the same area, but try not to overload yourself.
Cook your mushrooms before eating them.
Dogs are good for protection, get 2 of them, your can unleash them in battle and they *may* charge threats.

The killers for me are boredom and impatience. You can survive hiding behind pits and drinking milk but where is the fun in that?

dagorkan

Arbiter
Where can I find 'spruce twigs'?

Also is there an easier way to collect firewood? I need about 30 branches minimum to start a fire just long enough to cook a fish, or I can use a log but 50 branches is better. Takes me a couple of hours each day to collect that many, combined with fishing I don't have time for much else. Probably spend the next day just collecting a huge pile of wood.

And what do you need to smoke meat? I assume my semi-burnt lamb chops won't last all that long.

The Dude

Liturgist
Where can I find 'spruce twigs'?

It was a long time since I played the version you are playing, but in the latest you just have to use survival->collect branches/twigs on a spruce. I'm pretty sure it was survival in earlier versions as well. Also took me no more of an hout ingame time to gather around 50 branches with the same command. Best way is to cut a log into firewood though, much better staying power as fuel.

I think you need a heated building to smoke stuff, another solution is to dry food, although that takes a long time (30 days or something.)

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You only need 20? branches to start a fire. Takes less than an hour, I never had a problem with them. Alternatively try cutting small trees, 1 slender trunk is enough to start a fire. You can also burn spoiled food.

You can try building a cellar before starting a building, food lasts longer in cellars. Better yet, find a village, buy a cow or sheep, then you have milk. Also get nets, passive fishing is easier than active fishing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom