Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unreal Tournament 3

kingcomrade said:
Especially when you can see it in the hands of other players it looks silly and undersized.
No one wants to hear about your penis, kc.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
P.S. kingcomrade have you played the old UTs? I just got the impression from your OP that you were new to the series, if this ain't true then nvm.
I've owned every UT game including the original (which I played first). Ut3 was installed by a friend and you don't need a CD to play it. I will be re-installing UT2k4.

Jas, yes I actually do think it looks better than Crysis. Also, the game does not seem like it was coded by frat boys. The ut3 engine is actually very nice and you can get some great performance out of it.
Also - arrows on the ground that show you what is the shortest route to flag and to base in CTF. What the fuck?
Um, ut2k4 had that too
Graphics are good? Well no.
kill yourself
kill yourself

DefJam101

Arcane
kingcomrade said:
Also, the game does not seem like it was coded by frat boys. The ut3 engine is actually very nice and you can get some great performance out of it.

I meant the menus and the lolfail dialog in the 'campaign'. -But mostly the menus, if you have played the old UTs you should know the standard that was expected of a UT game. These menus look like they belong on ESPN covering a game of water polo. Not enough options, not enough organization, too many cheesy photoshop effects.

The engine is quite nice, as with every Unreal Engine.

MaskedMartyr

Liturgist
DefJam101 said:
kingcomrade said:
Also, the game does not seem like it was coded by frat boys. The ut3 engine is actually very nice and you can get some great performance out of it.

I meant the menus and the lolfail dialog in the 'campaign'. -But mostly the menus, if you have played the old UTs you should know the standard that was expected of a UT game. These menus look like they belong on ESPN covering a game of water polo. Not enough options, not enough organization, too many cheesy photoshop effects.

The engine is quite nice, as with every Unreal Engine.

I keep wishing they would go back to the old UT interface, but UT3's interface is just fucking horrible.

It takes forever to find the options you're looking for, and you can't just quickly start a match, you have to go through 20 fucking menus before you even get to the match options.

I actually like the bloom in this game, its slightly under control and not blinding, but the game just looks kind of bland, theres a lack of color.

I mostly play UT for the mods ever since UT2k4 because overall the core game is just getting worse. Adrenaline was the best idea ever made and I raged when they got rid of it. They retained the slow gameplay of UT2k4 while removing its tactical factors, so its like taking the worst of both worlds. Seriously, side-dodges what the fuck? It makes rocket dueling even quicker and less skillful.

Originally UT3 was meant to be a revival of UT99 but I guess they fucked up big time.

the unreal 3 engine is very nice, as are the textures on max or w/e. And its gonna get even better with gears of war 2 (actual water effects, more interesting physics, etc).

Im pretty sure the UT goes in good/mediocre cycles. ie ut (good) -> ut2003 (mediocre) -> ut2004 (good) -> ut3 (mediocre) -> ???

Of course, Im more of a quake fan myself. not really a better straight up death match game out there. :twisted:

Also, Quake Online looks very interesting: http://pc.gamespy.com/web-games/quake-z ... 676p1.html

Wyrmlord

Arcane
kingcomrade said:
Sniper.jpg
What's the point of fancy graphics in a fast-paced multiplayer shooter?

"I lose myself into the beauty of this world...until I get blown up with a headshot from a stray bullet."

It's difficult to reconcile admiring all those large trees and canyons with fragging people while rocket jumping. Nobody is going to pay attention to it, so all the effort put into these graphics is wasted. Why not use it for a singleplayer game?

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
What's the point of fancy graphics in a fast-paced multiplayer shooter?
What's the point of not having fancy graphics in a fast-paced multiplayer shooter?
It's difficult to reconcile admiring all those large trees and canyons with fragging people while rocket jumping.
What? Why is that difficult to reconcile? I don't even understand what that is supposed to mean.
Nobody is going to pay attention to it
Who is nobody? You?

Actually, a lot of people are saying that the UT3 engine is merely mediocre
I don't understand. It looks great and runs well. What's merely mediocre mean?

Wyrmlord

Arcane
All I am saying is, are you going to be looking at all the pretty scenery while playing the game? It's all about fragging and capturing the flag, and in the middle of that, would one stop and look at how pretty everything looks? I just somehow doubt it.

deuxhero

Arcane
I stayed away from that game after complaints it was made for consoles rather then PCs, so were my reasons not that far off?

MetalCraze

Arcane
kingcomrade said:
Um, ut2k4 had that too
ut2k4 had a flying "spray" or something that showed only the approximate direction to the flag/base and a radar for a few seconds. It was dark and small and in a such fast pased action as UT2004 it was hard to notice it.
in UT3 those big white bloom-shiny arrows lead you straight to the destination through the best route.

kingcomrade said:
It looks great and runs well.

I still don't understand what good did you find in it.
Everything is covered with bright shiny bloom and if you will turn bloom off everything will look quite mediocre. Besides the size of maps is smaller than the one in UT2004.

deuxhero said:
I stayed away from that game after complaints it was made for consoles rather then PCs, so were my reasons not that far off?

when you try to start a server on PC there is an option that says "disallow keyboard and mouse" or something.

Destroid

Arcane
jesus christ, who would voluntarily set aside mouse and keyboard for a controller to play an fps >_<

DefJam101

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:
DefJam101 said:
F YEAH!, in an m-rated game???

The word 'fuck' has lost most of its meaning a long time ago.

No, I mean they don't actually say "FUCK YEAH!" in an M-rated game. They literally SAY, "F Yeah!"

As in: EFF YEAH!

It sounds fucking retarded.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Sony refused to approve UT3 with a word "fuck" for PS3. That's why they had to cut it out. Actually it was known even before the game release that they will cut all harsh swearing out because they wanted to make the game a PS3 exclusive.

don_tomaso

Liturgist
Wyrmlord said:
All I am saying is, are you going to be looking at all the pretty scenery while playing the game? It's all about fragging and capturing the flag, and in the middle of that, would one stop and look at how pretty everything looks? I just somehow doubt it.

Campers doesn´t move that much, maybe the graphs are made for them?

Herbert West

Arbiter
Well, I consider UT3 engine to be a good one. Requirements are very reasonable for the level of detail it can display and its popularity among devs is a good sign that dev tools are also user-friendly. Licensing model is also great and enables upstart studios to afford one of the best engines.
CryEngine2 is of course better. It's a few steps ahead and it has pioneered at least one technique that's very important for realistic lighting- ambient occlusion. And it has implemented that in a very clever way. Upgraded version of UT3 engine will have it too and it will influence the visuals considerably.

The one thing that's so obvious in most UEngine3 games like Mass Effect or UT3 for example is the weird post-processing that is in essence a somewhat blurry bloom that spills on everything and makes it fuzzy. Fortunately, it can be toned nearly all the way down.

About silicon knights- they had some issues with tech support and cooperation with Epic and they weren't fond of the version they got. As far as I know, it's the only dev that's not satisfied with that engine, and it has been in high demand.

P.S. UT3 isn't exactly the most brilliant of games based on UE3. It certainly isn't superior to UT2004 and doesn't have nearly anything new- it's a remake, in essence.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
ut2k4 had a flying "spray" or something that showed only the approximate direction to the flag/base and a radar for a few seconds. It was dark and small and in a such fast pased action as UT2004 it was hard to notice it.
in UT3 those big white bloom-shiny arrows lead you straight to the destination through the best route.
They made it bigger, gosh that sounds like a legitimate complaint. If you want to hate the game for no reason just say so, don't try to bullshit your way into it.
Everything is covered with bright shiny bloom and if you will turn bloom off everything will look quite mediocre.
How did you turn off bloom without reducing other settings? There's no option for it, liar.
Crysis on low settings perhaps
No, it looks better than Crysis. Crysis is visually boring. The entire game's scenery besides at the end consists of plants.

MetalCraze

Arcane
kingcomrade said:
They made it bigger, gosh that sounds like a legitimate complaint. If you want to hate the game for no reason just say so, don't try to bullshit your way into it.
I've stated many more reasons why I dislike UT3.

How did you turn off bloom without reducing other settings? There's no option for it, liar.
so have you heard about "editing INI files"?

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Comrade Hamster said:
Actually, a lot of people are saying that the UT3 engine is merely mediocre. Silicon Knights probably has some harsher words for the version they got.
Alot of people are saying alot of stupid shit. You can always find a bunch of monkeys claiming that every other game looks like shit.

As for Silicon Knights, who gives a shit.

Jeff Graw

StarChart Interactive
Developer
UT3 sucks.
UT2004/2003 sucks.

UT GOTY is the only one worth playing.

And whomever thought up the stupid idea of "double jumping" should be shot.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
kingcomrade said:
No, it looks better than Crysis. Crysis is visually boring. The entire game's scenery besides at the end consists of plants.

if by the end you mean the second half that starts with you flying in under bombardment, taking out a ship. Then fighting a glorious tank battle and entering an alien vessel which spits you out in world turned to a frozen wasteland. Doing battle in said wasteland and flying out of there in a vtol to land and fight on and fight over an aircraft carrier...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom