Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unofficial Arcanum Patch DRAMA

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Claw said:
Also:
Gentle_Giant said:
Это меня вообще убило
If only.

LOL.

In my experience, even though I've never had problems communicating with Russians in real life (except one ticket lady at the subway, once), they're just...weird on the internet. I've seen many overreactions and overt defensiveness from Russians online. Too many.

Is that racist? I don't think so, I think it simply comes from communication problems.

Anyway, it's so not worth it, Drog. There's too much community support here just to cave in to a bunch of Russian MAFFIOSI (lulz, Abramovich get off the internetz)

I like what dagorkan is saying. Adopt this as a Codex project, get some members to put their shoulders behind it and give this man a private forum to work on. Codex poweru!

TheLostOne

Savant
We haven't seen any assaults here yet. If it comes though, I agree. Give him a sub-forum, but maybe give mod powers to someone more active with a vested interest in seeing the mod succeed. That way Drog won't have to waste his time deleting angry spammers.

Jason

chasing a bee
First, if this project is to be continued here (and I really hope so, since I can get this many bug reports only here), then I should have guarantees of peaceful working conditions. That is, the staff here would have no tolerance to offenders of my project if they dare to come here.
Sorry, that won't work. As Claw said, suppressing dissent isn't a Codex tradition. Vicious spammers will be dealt with harshly, but anyone should be allowed to come here and express their opinion on this project or any other (within reason, of course). If it becomes a problem, the argumentative posts can always be moved to a separate "drama" thread for folks to argue in while this thread (or a new one) can be used for strictly bug reports/tech talk/suggestions.

Regardless, nearly everyone here wants you to stick around and keep banging away on that patch. I'm hoping to re-install Arcanum myself soon.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Drog Black Tooth said:
WITHOUT ANY EVIDENCE (TIMESTAMPS/CHECKSUMS) THE WHOLE RUSSIAN COMMUNITY IS AGAINST ME..

Well, now they don't need any evidence to hate you. You don't think that after all those "fucking russians, communist pigs" rants you provoked they will change their attutude to a more positive one, do you? :)

dagorkan

Arbiter
After skimming the pages that DU saved it appears the story is not as straightforward as it appears. I think what got them angry (they didn't start off angry) was how Ander Vinz started posting about this patch (calling it an English Grand Fix, is that how patch is translated? - otherwise similar to how their own patch was called) on several Russian sites apparently before contacting them. They seem to think that they should have been informed having worked on the only other patch for Arcanum (though much smaller in scale than this one), not as a territorial thing but because it would interest them or even that they might help. Unfortunately I think they took it as a deliberate slight.

I don't know what else they said or what went on behind the scenes, Babelfish is not very good but from what I can decipher and guess at it's fairly understandable where they're coming from. Seems like bad diplomacy to me. What do other Russian members think?

Well, now they don't need any evidence to hate you. You don't think that after all those "fucking russians, communist pigs" rants you provoked they will change their attutude to a more positive one, do you? :)
Drog didn't provoke anything, this is the Codex a lot of us are racist by nature.

edit:
The most important thing of course is that the patch goes on, I don't mean to stir things or cause more trouble

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
dagorkan said:
After skimming the pages that DU saved it appears the story is not as straightforward as it appears. I think what got them angry was how Ander Vinz started posting about this patch (calling it an English Grand Fix, is that how patch is translated - otherwise similar to how their's was called?) on several Russian sites apparently before contacting them. They probably think that they should have been informed having worked on the only other patch (though much smaller in scale than this one), not as a territorial thing but because it would interest them or even that they might help. Unfortunately I think they took it as a deliberate slight.
Ander Vinz was collecting bug reports on several Russian forums. But when I gave him the link to that thread with allegations he flipped out and started insulting back. However, the Russians started insulting me immediately, with out any evidence ("aha! you fixed the same bugs, so you stole it from us!"), so I understand Ander Vinz's feelings. Those Arcanum-Club folks also gave me a bad name on fallout.ru and, I think, it's because of them my patch got taken down on ag.ru (I think it's the largest pc gaming site in Russia).

Lurkar

Scholar
Who cares if you pissed off the Russians? They're sub-human anyways. Also, of course they're going to hate you, they're ruskies and you're Japanese (apparently).

Also, the Tessara thing was a bit different. She blatently stole - not used as a bug fix, but Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V - some of Wesp's stuff, and then SHE was the one that drama'd all over the place, even putting insults to Wesp in her own damn patch. Essentially, she stole from Wesp, and then tried to discredit him immidiately afterwards. Wesp was too busy looking confused and trying to figure out WTF was going on, and even tried talking to Tess's programmer to work together on things.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
Drog Black Tooth said:
I may continue the work, if people stand up for me. I can't do it all on my own.

Here are some points, that I'd like to bring to your attention.

First, if this project is to be continued here (and I really hope so, since I can get this many bug reports only here), then I should have guarantees of peaceful working conditions. That is, the staff here would have no tolerance to offenders of my project if they dare to come here. And I hope people at Terra-Arcanum will do the same.

Second, this project got immense popularity in many communities. I need people who will speak for me on many different forums. For a start, I need a Russian person, who will explain to everybody on major Russian gaming sites what this project is all about. I think, Lestat may be up for the job, he may PM me if he's interested. Also, I need a person who will speak for me on many English speaking communities as well (such as Gamebanshee, RPGWatch, GameFAQs, IGN, etc). This person will answer all questions about the patch and collect bug reports. Actually, several people may do this job, so anybody's free to PM me on this one.

Again, this is the first time I actually ask for something, but I'd like to think, that a project of such scope should be a community effort, not a one man's heroic deed (which will only waste the said hero).

Get the fuck off your high horse and man the fuck up. Don't expect people to suck your cock because your giving them something they want, if you make it then cool but were not going to drown you in love and praises to get it. Seriously, don't waste our time as its obvious you just an attention whore who wants to be loved. Arcanum is pretty good like it is so you can kindly fuck off.

POOPERSCOOPER said:
Drog Black Tooth said:
I may continue the work, if people stand up for me. I can't do it all on my own.

Here are some points, that I'd like to bring to your attention.

First, if this project is to be continued here (and I really hope so, since I can get this many bug reports only here), then I should have guarantees of peaceful working conditions. That is, the staff here would have no tolerance to offenders of my project if they dare to come here. And I hope people at Terra-Arcanum will do the same.

Second, this project got immense popularity in many communities. I need people who will speak for me on many different forums. For a start, I need a Russian person, who will explain to everybody on major Russian gaming sites what this project is all about. I think, Lestat may be up for the job, he may PM me if he's interested. Also, I need a person who will speak for me on many English speaking communities as well (such as Gamebanshee, RPGWatch, GameFAQs, IGN, etc). This person will answer all questions about the patch and collect bug reports. Actually, several people may do this job, so anybody's free to PM me on this one.

Again, this is the first time I actually ask for something, but I'd like to think, that a project of such scope should be a community effort, not a one man's heroic deed (which will only waste the said hero).

Get the fuck off your high horse and man the fuck up. Don't expect people to suck your cock because your giving them something they want, if you make it then cool but were not going to drown you in love and praises to get it. Seriously, don't waste our time as its obvious you just an attention whore who wants to be loved. Arcanum is pretty good like it is so you can kindly fuck off.

Agreed.

Grump

Novice
Drog Black Tooth said:
dagorkan said:
After skimming the pages that DU saved it appears the story is not as straightforward as it appears. I think what got them angry was how Ander Vinz started posting about this patch (calling it an English Grand Fix, is that how patch is translated - otherwise similar to how their's was called?) on several Russian sites apparently before contacting them. They probably think that they should have been informed having worked on the only other patch (though much smaller in scale than this one), not as a territorial thing but because it would interest them or even that they might help. Unfortunately I think they took it as a deliberate slight.
Ander Vinz was collecting bug reports on several Russian forums. But when I gave him the link to that thread with allegations he flipped out and started insulting back. However, the Russians started insulting me immediately, with out any evidence ("aha! you fixed the same bugs, so you stole it from us!"), so I understand Ander Vinz's feelings. Those Arcanum-Club folks also gave me a bad name on fallout.ru and, I think, it's because of them my patch got taken down on ag.ru (I think it's the largest pc gaming site in Russia).

There is no need for special subforums, racial wars, banning, PR, spokespeople or any other stupid shit being bandied about here. There are plenty of people who hate me in RL to the point where they're willing to deprive me of my financial livelihood and I'm still able to be here playing and talking about a game. I think you can handle some people on an obscure Russian site flaming your semi-anonymous online persona.

Fez

Erudite
Drog, if you carry on with the patch effort then people here and elsewhere will be very happy for it.

You'll find that the folks here are often used to a lot of back and forth when it comes to these sorts of insults. It takes a lot to bother most people and even more to get sympathy. Hence some people will not seem sympathetic to anyone being insulted in such a manner as in that situation they'd fire back at the accusers with something rather than give in to the bully.

Ignore those who decide to get their panties in a twist like those Russians. The effort you've done so far has been appreciated and it would be more than welcome if you continued. It's been good to see these patches happen and you know people here were happy to see it done and want more. Simply ignore the hooting and hollering that goes on in the background elsewhere. Why should you worry what they say or think?

puppyonastik

Augur
Keep on patching away, Drog! You have the respect and support of the majority here and will continue to have it as long as you don't back down just because of someone or some group's bitching. You've done a fantastic job so far and I'm damn sure you'll continue to do so. If you just ignore these motherfuckers and keep on trucking they'll eventually shut up soon or later if their bitching has no effect. In fact they can't do a single thing about it. You are the only person who has the control in this situation. If you really give a shit about fixing the game, continue on and we'll help you.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
I'm pretty much sure that this project should be turned into a well organized community effort.

Seriously, don't waste our time as its obvious you just an attention whore who wants to be loved. Arcanum is pretty good like it is so you can kindly fuck off.
Then fuck you. I thought that I'd get a bit of support in return for my work. You just want it done and don't care what effort it takes to be done. I bet you pirate your games as well.

Simply ignore the hooting and hollering that goes on in the background elsewhere. Why should you worry what they say or think?
Those Arcanum-Club folks also gave me a bad name on fallout.ru and, I think, it's because of them my patch got taken down on ag.ru (I think it's the largest pc gaming site in Russia).
I value my reputation.

There is no need for special subforums, racial wars, banning, PR, spokespeople or any other stupid shit being bandied about here.
I wouldn't have brought those points, if I didn't see many people posting in this topic. I was hoping people would offer me their help.

EDIT: I might just as well set up my own forum. Or maybe, somebody is willing to host me? PM me if you do.

BillyOgawa

Scholar
Ignore the douchebags, soak up the praise. This recent crisis has seemingly rallied the pro-patch base. If you restart the work you'll likely get more bug reports than ever before.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
I'd also like to add, that I'm not on a high horse, in fact maybe I'm just overserious about this project. I want this game fixed and polished, and I want it done right. I apologize, if this seems demanding.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
Drog Black Tooth said:
I'm pretty much sure that this project should be turned into a well organized community effort.

Seriously, don't waste our time as its obvious you just an attention whore who wants to be loved. Arcanum is pretty good like it is so you can kindly fuck off.
Then fuck you. I thought that I'd get a bit of support in return for my work. You just want it done and don't care what effort it takes to be done. I bet you pirate your games as well.

Simply ignore the hooting and hollering that goes on in the background elsewhere. Why should you worry what they say or think?
Those Arcanum-Club folks also gave me a bad name on fallout.ru and, I think, it's because of them my patch got taken down on ag.ru (I think it's the largest pc gaming site in Russia).
I value my reputation.

There is no need for special subforums, racial wars, banning, PR, spokespeople or any other stupid shit being bandied about here.
I wouldn't have brought those points, if I didn't see many people posting in this topic. I was hoping people would offer me their help.

EDIT: I might just as well set up my own forum. Or maybe, somebody is willing to host me? PM me if you do.

I actually don't really care about your project since I rarely play mods but even if I did care about it, I probably wouldn't play it out of the principle that your a faggot who wants your cock sucked. Ya, I totally pirate my games and that definitely relates to the argument at hand. I'm guessing you plan to charge money for the patch soon?

Your ONLINE REPUTATION is off to a good start. Dr. Drog Black Tooth Mcgee.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
Drog Black Tooth said:
I'd also like to add, that I'm not on a high horse, in fact maybe I'm just overserious about this project. I want this game fixed and polished, and I want it done right. I apologize, if this seems demanding.

Shut the fuck up.

Fez

Erudite
Drog Black Tooth said:
You made me chuckle.

Get lost, now I see why you're a dumbfuck.

See? Now all you need to do is apply that attitude to anyone else and any other incidents and you are golden. No problems. :wink:

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Poweru?

Hmm... Codex Crystal Power Makeup!
And then we transform into modders in sailor uniform. :lol:

dagorkan said:
I think what got them angry (they didn't start off angry) was how Ander Vinz started posting about this patch (calling it an English Grand Fix, is that how patch is translated? - otherwise similar to how their own patch was called) on several Russian sites apparently before contacting them. They seem to think that they should have been informed having worked on the only other patch for Arcanum (though much smaller in scale than this one), not as a territorial thing but because it would interest them or even that they might help. Unfortunately I think they took it as a deliberate slight.
Actually, I rather got the impression they took Ander Vinz's posting of links to other patches and as evidence that Drog copied fixes from those patches. They feel affirmed by Drog's statement that he did indeed use fixes from Da real Asrudin's pack and apparently by Ander's posting on their forum.

Drog didn't provoke anything, this is the Codex a lot of us are racist by nature.
I don't think our hate is race-specific. We're just hating on Russians because that's what's presented to us at the moment. We also hate: Interplay, Oblivion, Todd Howard, Matt Peckham, the editor of the Escapist whose name escapes me, etc.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Drog Black Tooth said:
I don't think we're going to have any problems. It looks like Gentle_Giant's done some md5 checksum's and other comparisons and come to the conclusion that the mods, while they fix the same things, are in fact different.

Gentle_.Giant said:
It seems that I was wrong… RLY! and this is not a joke!
That shit happened coz changelogs of my Grand Fix and Drog Black Tooth's patch are very, very similar.
I've undated some PRO and MOB files from Drog's DAT resource archives again and looked "closely" through files. I've discovered this thing: we did exactly same fixes (edited same offsets from prototypes, for example), but entire prototypes are different.

WE DID THE SAME FIXES, BUT OUR FILES ARE DIFFERENT!

and you should ask Me why I accused you in plagiarism thing? I thought than it was a real plagiarism and I was very upset about it. Of course, I'.ve got some authority on this forum... and other russian modmakers were upset too, especially when they compared changelogs of GF, thorn'.s patch and Drog'.s project.
All bad things comes from misunderstanding. I'.m really sorry…

Oh... and I did not forget about my racist insults! I'.m sorry about my words… But I'.m Not Racist At all; I don'.t like Hitler or neo-nazi... My words about subhuman and other "white power" shit were something like evil and angry jokes. Evil jokes of that kind called "trolling" (from the word "troll") and "kashchenizm" (this can'.t be translated) in russian language.

Sorry, again. I hope I don'.t spoil your life… or else. Keep on modding and don't give up!
So, get back to work Drog.

Also, we apparently crashed their forums yesterday from all the guests and I got called a pancake by John Asimov... or at least, that's what babelfish says. And they watch Deer Hunter. Also, for the record, I'm a South Australian and there are no convicts in South Australia. So your Ruskie convict jokes don't work on me! HAHA!! TAKE THAT!

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
I fucking lol'd.

The guy is pathetic. Or maybe just a kid.

Considering protos. They are ALWAYS not the same. Some parts of them are generated randomly. You have many things yet to learn, GG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom