Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unity or UE4?

drgames

Scholar
As a very small team, what is the best game engine for a an isometric RPG 3D ? Unity or UE4? Or do you know something more appropriate?

Inviato dal mio A0001 utilizzando Tapatalk

drgames

Scholar
What is wrong with unity? And UE4 is hard to master?

Raapys

Arcane
UnrealEngine also has garbage collection.

Anyway, I don't have any real experience with UE, but I have tried it out a bit. I'd say for most things they're fairly similar, but Unity has more features as a game(not graphics) engine and a lot more documentation/resources/examples you can use. Also, the multiplayer shooter roots in UE are still very noticeable; the editor and even the C++ classes all seem to be built around game modes, rounds, levels, etc. I think it's actually just in the last year or so that they made an officially supported way of persisting data across levels. There's also the compile time problem; with Unity, it's always a matter of a second or two, but with UE I seem to be encountering compile times of 10++ seconds regularly, even with almost no custom code in the project and only tiny changes made since last compile. It makes tweaking and experimenting very tedious.

Other than that, they're both fairly easy to work with. The Unity component stuff is perhaps a tad more intuitive than UE's components, but that could just be my limited experience with UE speaking.

Unity really just has one big problem, engine-wise, and that's its lack of multithreading in the engine itself. UE has one thread doing the graphics and another doing the gameplay. Unity uses one thread for both tasks, and so Unity games always end up CPU-limited in terms of performance.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
UnrealEngine also has garbage collection.

Can't be as bad, as the results aren't as bad. They must do things a better way.

BTW I found this on GC and why they are not using it in Swift.
https://www.quora.com/Why-doesnt-Ap...ent-method-of-garbage-collection-like-in-Java

Regarding Unreal C++ being slow, last year when I tried it, it was 20 seconds to compile. Tried it again this year and it was around 5 seconds to do the same thing, so they have changed something. Last I heard C# is coming to Unreal, JavaScript is already working, they have SkookumScript and they have that visual programming abomination which is instantaneous to compile.

Unity really just has one big problem

Their other big problem is their development environment feels cheap compared to Unreal. The horrible bright interface is deliberate to make you pay up for Pro. The Tornado Twins said, when they left Unity for Unreal, Unity nickle and dime you for everything, whereas Unreal supplies everything you need to get going and its top quality. What was the last straw for me regarding Unity, is their contract regarding assets. Everyone in an online team must own their own copy of each asset used in the project. With Unreal all you have to do is send them an email, telling them about the shared asset and your team members. So compared to Unity management, Unreal management are paladins. Either way mega engines are not my concern anymore so IDC.

Last edited:
If you wanted to replicate how Pillars of Eternity did their environments, would it be possible to do it in UE4?

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If you wanted to replicate how Pillars of Eternity did their environments, would it be possible to do it in UE4?

First, you must hire their team of veteran artists and then we can talk engine.

Any 3D engine can pull it off

As a very small team, what is the best game engine for a an isometric RPG 3D ? Unity or UE4? Or do you know something more appropriate?

Either Unity or Unreal 4 can work.

The Blueprint implementation really help shorten the time and staff needed to make something in Unreal 4 which is a huge boost for UE4 in the indie market.

Last edited:

Mustawd

I don't know shit about engines, but there is a dev on here who kickstarted a game that used UDK. And he's having issues because it has no true orthographic view.

Just my two cents. No idea if Unreal has orthographic view.

Anyways, I think this is great advice:

If you seriously have to ask, you might want to try to make a smaller project in each and see which fits your workflow better.

-Iceblink engine doesn't have isometric view, but it's got some great functionality to get a prototype going.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!

I vote neither. Make 2D game. Learn to make your own engines.

https://hero.handmade.network/episodes

Omega Syndrome re-release pl0x :(

I don't know shit about engines, but there is a dev on here who kickstarted a game that used UDK. And he's having issues because it has no true orthographic view.

Just my two cents. No idea if Unreal has orthographic view.

Anyways, I think this is great advice:

If you seriously have to ask, you might want to try to make a smaller project in each and see which fits your workflow better.

-Iceblink engine doesn't have isometric view, but it's got some great functionality to get a prototype going.

Iceblink engine is great. It's too bad most people outside of the 'dex don't know about it. Come to think about it, even within the 'dex it's not that well-known.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Omega Syndrome re-release pl0x :(

I found some source for it on some old CDs, but the last few releases are missing. The old exes won't start on my PC, so it will need a rewrite. I'll have to see how I go with HMH.

Konjad

⛏
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Unity isn't going to be free since 2017. Therefore it's not only going to be shittier, but also more expensive than UE4.

Perkel

Arcane
If you have huge team of professionals and want best of the best graphics then UE should be your choice.
If you want to quickly build a game at low cost alone or with few people then Unity should be your choice.
If you build 2D game then neither of them is proper tool as both suck at 2D

Both have advantages and disadvantages.

As for graphics currently with Unity 5 it is a wash but performance is slightly on UE side currently which matters for AAA games that want to push best graphics they can.

As of hurrduur unity performance sucks !. It only sucks because Unity is used by amateur devs more than UE thus shitload of games produced by those amateurs do not have proper optimisation, hell LOD is even black magic for some of them.

On other hand if you have team that knows how to code you get something like this which is mostly constricted by CPU power (due to city simulation not graphic rendering):

Z4EQuUd.jpg

bylam

Funcom
Developer
Another alternative nobody talks about is either Stingray or the free Amazon engine (formerly Crytek engine). Oh yeah and Crytek engine.
To be honest, design your game first, then figure out the engine that has the most features to match what you want to implement.

Perkel

Arcane
I think it is insane currently to create game on engine for which support might die next day.
Crytek had severe finantial issues and lost ton of people from core developement side (mostly to Star Citizent developer), their situation seems fine for now but creating games is usually 2-5 year process which means that this can comeback.

Similar situation with Amazon engine. For now they claim they want to make it proper alternative but Bazoos next week can shift focus and cancel whole thing or make changes to it so you would need to drop it completely.

Viata

Arcane
Oh didn't know that. Only that it was based on Fallout engine. Guess I learned about it too late.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom