Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Unique/interesting RPG ideas you have

RPGs without magic. Dungeons & NO DRAGONS. KCD, Western RPG, WW2 RPG, modern warfare RPG, Expeditions series, real world or realistic worlds without fantasy races etc. We'll see unique & interesting stuff once devs give fucking fantasy(&syfy to a lesser extend) a rest.
Well, Cyberpunk 2070 will be coming out any year now, and if there is no hint of the Interlock system in the game, finally Cyberpunk will be superior to Shadowrun in both system and setting!

Guys, you have to admit that most of the Shadowrun setting is "a wizard did it!" or "a dragon did it!", and that the faultlines along which the world fragments are largely imaginary 70s-80s new age bullshit. Cyberpunk 2020's writers at least had a grasp of the subject matter they were speculating about.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
A game based around a split-second decision where you play as a nerve ending.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Unique/interesting ideas you have

Don't know about interesting, but imagine a game that could be likened to an 18+ noir version of Zootopia that mixes David Lynch style stream of consciousness, David Cronenberg style violence, B.A.T. 2 and the original Fallout gameplay and RPG sensibilities.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Realistic distances between distances/objects... why are some goblins hanging out just 15m down the road from these knights?
It's so you can PLAY the game without looking for goblins for 30 days of real life time, like it would've been in real life.

It's called gamification.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Well there was this idea of a game like TES Oblivion, but with a major difference:

That the events (Oblivion gates and creatures coming in) happen regardless if you act upon them or not. So if you hang around for too long doing every shitty quest (as many sandbox players do), and ignore the real threat, simply more and more creatures enter the world. These creatures then will literally conquer and destroy the world you are in... eventually leading to a situation that cannot be won anymore (imagine you have to retreat more and more, but the hordes are so overwhelming, that it comes to a last stand in a castle and you finally die...)

Some kind of "evolving gameplay" or so. And even if everything is peaceful in the beginning, there would be a constant feeling of an incoming threat and doom. That would be the kind Elder Scrolls Oblivion I'd like to play, not some boring sandbox where nothing really matters.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
there would be a constant feeling of an incoming threat and doom
Personally, I didn't like Fallout 1 timer. Puts pressure on me, and I like to play at a slow pace, exploring every nook and cranny instead of rushing through the game, skipping everything that I guesstimate to not be critical.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Yeah, I understand that. That's probably the biggest problem... to implement a "timer" in a way it doesn't put you too much under pressure. Especially because, as you said, people like to explore in different pace. The timer could be either too early for some, and too late for others. Maybe there's a healthy middleground... or a solution like different difficulties, and depending on the difficulty things happen earlier or later.

laclongquan

Arcane
I miss finding laz0rguns and stuff in fantasy rpgs, ala early Ultimas and Might & Magic. Maybe a Hickman-esque rpg where all the holy/magic artefacts are just pieces of advanced technology.

Sound like wand of force

anyone remember that game messiah? where you'd play the little angel in diapers who had to possess his enemies souls or some shit to kill them and progress

well, something like that but less shit (the game wasnt that good, especially in retrospective) and where possessing NPC's have a real tangible effect on the environment and other NPC's to complete quests and such. there'd be certain advantages and drawbacks of possessing certain people and the actions you'd take with him/her. there should be some moral backdrop to the main story in which you gotta save God or something (similar to Dogma) but you'd have to choose between either being a goody two shoes towards the human race and maybe not save God or bring the fucking pain and make hell on earth in order to save your maker

AND THEN IN A SHAMALAYAN TWISTS ITS ACTUALLY THE DEVIL OH NOES

Parasite Eve3: the 3rd birthday, where the MC do something similar to that.

Swigen

Arbiter
You and a group of friends living in a small town set in motion a chain of events that lead to you being the only ones who can SAVE THE WORLD!! Also along the way you have to do a bunch of bullshit menial tasks for random strangers.

Also you can buy sexy costumes or xp boosters for real $$$.

flabbyjack

Arcane
Sorry but I'll keep my ideas to myself for when I retire and make cRPGs with my wife helping me.

Planning on making several prototype games to build up my exp and see what is actually fun or not. As a programmer I have a good idea of what features would be feasible to implement and what would not.
Update: Wifey says she wants to make games presently, rather than wait. JRPG Maker here we come!

Apostle Hand

Liturgist
Batshit Crazy
rpg set in medieval italy. your country is being invaded by enemy forces. now you must learn sword fighting properly, and read instructions by famous medieval swordsmen. you are son of nobleman.
in meantime, lots of witches and heretics are performing demon summoning rituals. your friend inquisitor is sent out to investigate matter. plague rules everywhere.
when you defeat enemy invaders, princess congratulate you and allows you to be her personal bodyguard. you fell in love with her but she soon dies from curious disease.
then you ask aid from powerful alchemist magician. he summon powerful demon who asks from you to sell your soul to him, and then he will bring back princess to life.
princess comes back alive, but you are acussed of consorting with demons, and must escape with princess from the country. you arrive in hungary and with help of your demon master you make powerful connections with black magicians and other fiendish creatures. your next task is to take revenge on your former country. this rpg could be left unfinished.

Falksi

Arcane
Stealth based Assasin's Creed type action-RPG, where you have to avoid combat & detection completely, and you're task is to rape your target.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom