Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unicorn Overlord - Tactical RPG by Vanillaware

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Not really good news if topping the charts doesn't even give you a million.
That really depends on how much it cost to develop.

Not really good news if topping the charts doesn't even give you a million.
That really depends on how much it cost to develop.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it cost under a million to make.

When they were doing 13 Sentinels, George Kamitani said something about wanting to do something with a smaller budget than Dragon’s Crown, which was their biggest budget game. And Dragon’s Crown cost 100 million yen, which at the time was around $1,000,000.

I’d guess it more than made it’s budget back with the 500,000 units they sold in less than a month.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron

When they were doing 13 Sentinels, George Kamitani said something about wanting to do something with a smaller budget than Dragon’s Crown, which was their biggest budget game. And Dragon’s Crown cost 100 million yen, which at the time was around $1,000,000.

I’d guess it more than made it’s budget back with the 500,000 units they sold in less than a month.

Not including the costs of music and voice-acting. Vanillaware's staff must subsist on peanuts ramen.

Not including the costs of music and voice-acting. Vanillaware's staff must subsist on peanuts ramen.

They probably do OK. 44 people. Make something that cost, let’s say it does cost a million, that cost a million dollars and sells 500,000 in less than a month for (at least in America) $59.99. That’s not bad.

wolfbane

Novice
Completed this game just a few days ago. I really thoroughly enjoyed it. I tried the demo when it first dropped and I almost uninstalled when I saw it was a real-time auto battler lol. I was expecting Fire Emblem (of which I am a major fan). I decided to give it a bit more of a chance and ended up falling in love with the game. I think I did nearly every quest you can, save for a few treasure hunts. The interaction with the overworld was great, and every continent was fun and exciting. Standout continents are Elheim and Palevia. True Ending was pretty awesome, and I really enjoyed all of it. The battle map design did seem to get a little repetitive towards the end but, to be fair, I went out of my way to do every single battle in the game. The overall plot was fairly generic, but it worked well for me and I was engaged for the entire run of the game. Overall a solid 10/10 game for me, and I would love to play sequels. The Bastorias arc felt almost like a different game haha, but I still enjoyed it. This was my first Vanillaware game, but you can bet it won’t be my last. I’ve gone and bought a few of their other games and I’m excited to play them.

Reinhardt

Arcane
melisandre and virginia(well, their class ability to dual-wield) buffed in new patch. also you can refight awakened amalia outside of arena in each region. she's not alone anymore, instead she fields full party consisting of national troops.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've been progressing slowly but steadily. In the northern continent, all +units maxed out, so not enough slots for all recruited characters. Getting some of the star iron weapons + some of the special weapons from the fights at gates. My most useful units are in the lower 30's, while I have some units in the lower twenties. In the coliseum, I'm at seventh place. Yesterday, I did some online gifting, and it went pretty well, except for one fight that I lost to the person who was ranked 13th in the world. Having lost, I still feel like my unit did decently, but I was just outleveled and outgeared. I won't spend much time on online figting, but it's fun to pit your tactics against the ones of other units.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Unicorn Overlord has turn-based combat in which characters' actions are determined by a set of conditional statements laid down by the player beforehand, along with a real-time battle component during which the individual units engage on contact with each other resulting in that aforesaid turn-based combat, and these battles themselves are initiated as part of a still-broader layer. Meaning that it is drastically different from the action-based gameplay found in Dragon's Crown, Muramasa, or Odin Sphere, as well as the tower defense combat of 13 Sentinels.

Of course, at least three of those earlier games have good gameplay in their own right. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom