Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant Pre-Prototype Thread

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Unity... why does it always have to be unity... :decline:

I doubt we'd see as many Kickstarted games if it weren't for Unity - it might be flawed, but it was crucial in the process of allowing crowdfunding to become a viable business model.

It's a crutch, All the unity games i have played have had performance problems, and in a, i suspect, seamless first person rpg of the scope of underworld, it might prove problematic.

Unity seems to be the only affordable solution at the moment - as I've said before, it's not ideal, but if it makes creating games like Torment, Shadowrun, Pillars of Eternity or Underworld (just to name a few) possible I'll take it, warts and all.

When i see the work that Styg has put into his Underrail engine, different time frames i know, and how feature packed and smooth it is, cant help but think we are loosing something with all these unity games.

But yeah, time = money, and these projects usually have a lot of first timers you cant afford to train up or have develop a custom engine with your senior staff.

The Great Deceiver

Trickster
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Unity... why does it always have to be unity... :decline:

I doubt we'd see as many Kickstarted games if it weren't for Unity - it might be flawed, but it was crucial in the process of allowing crowdfunding to become a viable business model.

It's a crutch, All the unity games i have played have had performance problems, and in a, i suspect, seamless first person rpg of the scope of underworld, it might prove problematic.

Unity seems to be the only affordable solution at the moment - as I've said before, it's not ideal, but if it makes creating games like Torment, Shadowrun, Pillars of Eternity or Underworld (just to name a few) possible I'll take it, warts and all.

When i see the work that Styg has put into his Underrail engine, different time frames i know, and how feature packed and smooth it is, cant help but think we are loosing something with all these unity games.

But yeah, time = money, and these projects usually have a lot of first timers you cant afford to train up or have develop a custom engine with your senior staff.

Yeah, Unity simply makes most sense from pragmatic standpoint, I reckon.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
...I think I may actually fund my first gaming-related Kickstarter with this one.

*INB4 'I was doing KS before it was cool.'*

What I'm concerned about is the KS roadmap - it looks a lot like a DLC roadmap to me.

4249 said:
The KS video shows a lockpicking minigame :(

That doesn't look like an obnoxius-looking minigame, it actually requires some skill and effort instead of just clicking around.

Top lel moment of the video was the one-eyed octopus trying to eat the player, as it hints at...relations...between Lurkers and Gazers. (Come on! It gets lonely in the Abyss! "Hey there. Float here often?")

sser

Arcane
Developer
Unless the engine has made huge advancements I can't possibly see Unity running well in a game like this. I will back it in spirit.

Not that I would back any KS anyway, but it's the thought that counts.

PowerTorment

Io-Interactive
Patron
Developer
Unless the engine has made huge advancements I can't possibly see Unity running well in a game like this. I will back it in spirit.

Not that I would back any KS anyway, but it's the thought that counts.

Unity is unity - no radical changes there. Unity is not an engine for AAA-games. Those engines kick ass but require extreme manpower and money to utilize. So it is about choosing the right engine for the job.

For example at Ubisoft, the Assassin's Creed games are made on different variations on the Anvil engine - but using teams up to a 1.000 people (I know some of them so I am not kidding). And still Ubisoft chose to use the Unity engine for Might & Magic X: Legacy. A game with a much smaller budget; and Unity just made more sense for them that game even though they actually owned a much more powerful one.

It seems like if you want a high class CRPG these days with a proper engine you to play Witcher games or Elder Scrolls games. Kingdom Come looks promising in that regard but we will have to see.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

2012/13 Roguey probably would have backed this. However, 2015 Roguey is older, wiser and extremely reluctant to give money upfront to wishful thinkers. Though it is nice to see that they didn't even bother to include an estimated release date that would inevitably get broken.

Also we’re using tools, like the Unity Engine
:what:

For your sakes, I hope they don't make that co-op stretch goal. The mod tools goal might even be too much.

Mustawd

Wasn't this type of game already made years ago and called Arx Fatalis?

Besides, how is this supposed to be different from an ES game in presentation (e.g. first person view real time RPG)?

Not saying it doesn't look cool, and I admit I haven't played the original Underworld games. It just seems that the isometric KS RPGs (WS2, POE, TToN) were all scratching that old Fallout/Torment/BG/IWD itch.

I guess I'm just not seeing the appeal of the FPS view/RT RPGs as something that hasn't already been done recently.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted

2012/13 Roguey probably would have backed this. However, 2015 Roguey is older, wiser and extremely reluctant to give money upfront to wishful thinkers. Though it is nice to see that they didn't even bother to include an estimated release date that would inevitably get broken.

Also we’re using tools, like the Unity Engine
:what:

For your sakes, I hope they don't make that co-op stretch goal. The mod tools goal might even be too much.

Been a while since I saw a Roguey post. I could never get truly mad at this guy.

Not saying it doesn't look cool, and I admit I haven't played the original Underworld games. It just seems that the isometric KS RPGs (WS2, POE, TToN) were all scratching that old Fallout/Torment/BG/IWD itch.

I guess I'm just not seeing the appeal of the FPS view/RT RPGs as something that hasn't already been done recently.

Basically, there's another itch in desperate need of scratching that you are unaware of: the Looking Glass itch.

"Wasn't this type of game already made years ago and called Arx Fatalis?"

Yes. Exactly. Years ago. Lol, this guy.

Mustawd

Answered my question

K thanks. Should probably put those games on my to-play list once I finish the ROA series.

EDIT: Also, probably my own bias showing in that question. Much more into turn-based games with isometric or FP view.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Answered my question

K thanks. Should probably put those games on my to-play list once I finish the ROA series.

EDIT: Also, probably my own bias showing in that question. Much more into turn-based games with isometric or FP view.

Go in with an open and patient mind. It pays off.

Last edited by a moderator:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Besides, how is this supposed to be different from an ES game in presentation (e.g. first person view real time RPG)?

Arx Fatalis is older than IW2 and ToEE

Mustawd

Arx Fatalis is older than IW2 and ToEE

Derp. Thought it was more recent. I'm gonna pretend I didn't ask that question.

Nyast

Cipher
On the GOG stream some of the devs of Underworld: Ascendant came to answer fan's questions, I compiled a short list. Unfortunately I haven't logged the beginning, in one of my questions I asked if the dungeon design was going to be complex/non-linear like in UU1 & 2, or if it was going to be streamlined / more linear, and the answer was that it'd be non-linear and pretty old-school.

As for the rest of the questions:

Nyast: @timstellmach Any thoughts on the magic system ? Rune based or something new ?
Timstellmach: Nyast The magic system is only in concept phase now, but we always get lots of favorable comments about the rune magic system.

Judasiscariot01: @Timstellmach I understand the magic system is in the works right now but would Arx Fatalis provide any inspiration for the magic system?

Timstellmach: @Judasiscariot01 I'm of two minds about the rune-drawing thing they did in Arx. Comments from fans would be interesting.

Koshirro: @timstellmach that lockpicking minigame in the kickstarter trailer looked really nice. was it just for that chest or is that how the lockpicking works in the game?
Timstellmach: @Koshirro That lockpicking minigame was something I threw together to have a playable example of what a lockpicking minigame might be. The code I used supports swapping in pretty much arbitrary mini-games, and I like to experiment. But that one did turn out pretty well, yes.

Suvum: @Timstellmach is ascendant made for old school players or "skyrim" generation
Timstellmach: @Suvum We're hoping to have something for old school fans and new players alike. I've learned a lot in the past 20 years about how you can have accessible learning curves with deep systems, and without hand-holding.

Nintondo_man: @Timstellmach has much thought been put into the melee combat system as of now or is that something going in much later? guessing it isn't a major component which is fine but still curious since most modern first person melee games have been a bit crummy
Timstellmach: @Nintondo_man We're starting from the strengths of the melee in the original games (for the time). Like multiple melee forms, and emphasis on movement and maneuver. And yes, given the minimal focus on melee in most first person games, there's lots of room to do interesting stuff.

Koshirro: @timstellmach do npcs react to lightsources? like some monsters only lurking in the shadows?
Timstellmach: @Koshirro One example of that in our design is the Haunt, which has quite different behavior sets in light and shadows.

Nyast: @Timstellmach Will there be quest compass/direction hints or indicators on the automap ? Or will you have to figure out everything by yourself ?
Timstellmach: Nyast We're not in favor of quest compasses. It's more narrative work to support players who forget where they were last time they played, don't keep notes, or whatever, but we prefer to not emphasize out-of-fiction UI like that.

Gilded_coprolite: @Timstellmach The kickstarter shows a destructible bridge. I assume the world in general will not be destructible. How much of that kind of interaction are you expecting in Ascendant?
Timstellmach: @Gilded_coprolite Destructible elements are still an active prototyping area for us. It's a fertile area for surprise and improvisation, so it's a priority for us.

Sector3600: @Timstellmach what does OtherSide Entertainment think will be the biggest challenge after getting funded?
Timstellmach: @Sector3600 From my point of view, it's navigating the innovation process. Trying to do something new comes with uncertainty. You have to think harder about your process.

Mrstarker: @Timstellmach Have you guys thought about voice acting? Is it feasible at this level of production?
Timstellmach: @Mrstarker Yes, we've talked about voice acting, but we don't have firm conclusions yet.

Sector3600: @Timstellmach where the stretch goals so far already planned out or will it require more design/testing to work everything? Also as this is self-publisher per se will you plan in enough time to get the components in play for release? Basically I am interested in the game state at release minus any major bugs that some game designers seem to forget about when for example getting green lighted or funded. I am not question your team's professionalism. Just wondering about the planning.
Timstellmach: @Sector3600 I'm not sure I understand the question. The stretch goals we've announced are based on pre-planned scenarios for various funding levels. We have softer plans for further stretch goals if it comes up.

Sector3600: @Timstellmach I guess a better way for me to ask what is be in game and a possible DLC?
Timstellmach: @Sector3600 Ah. We're not planning on content DLC yet. Perhaps if we saw a natural episodic structure that would otherwise take us past our planned ship date or something.

That's all I have to report for now
-Nyast

Multi-headed Cow

I'm really on the fence about this. On one hand, Ultima Underworld and Looking Glass (Possibly my single favorite developer, even beating Valve. I even liked Flight Unlimited and I'm not big on flight sims). On the other hand, looks like they're not going to crush their stretch goals though it'll probably get funded, and after Brian "You can do anything at zombo.com, anything at all" Fargo I'm more hesitant to go for Kickstarters.

I probably should just go for it and hope for the best but I dunno. Nothing's felt particularly close to UU (Arx being the closest but still not cutting the mustard) so I'm not sure it's even worth hoping.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
I have been getting cynical thoughts today as well.
Fuck it I say, just back it. They deserve that chance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom