Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Moonspeak Undertale - friendship/genocide RPG

Wasn't there a point early in the game where your main character (a kid) is also flirting with the anthropomorphic cow mother she has? And then you kill her?
No, she blocks the MC's path because she thinks he'll die if he leaves and there's a tutorial fight where she's holding back, and if you're a dick you can keep attacking and kill her for real.

The flirting bit are those conversations but her reaction is :?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Wasn't there a point early in the game where your main character (a kid) is also flirting with the anthropomorphic cow mother she has? And then you kill her?
No, she blocks the MC's path because she thinks he'll die if he leaves and there's a tutorial fight where she's holding back, and if you're a dick you can keep attacking and kill her for real.

Just to point out why I like this game so much, some more details here:

She holds back more and more the lower your health gets. It's actually very difficult to die in this fight, you essentially have to be throwing yourself into the attacks on purpose, even though they're difficult to dodge and do much more damage when the fight starts.
If you've slain every monster you can up to this point, you instantly kill her with your first attack, resulting in a unique dialogue.
I've you've convinced her to surrender and THEN attack, you also instantly kill her, getting a different unique dialogue.
If you kill her and then reload because you feel bad about it, an NPC remarks upon what you did.

If you flirt with her you get called out on it for being a creepy weirdo at the end of the game, aside from her original reaction.

S.torch

Arbiter
It's true that there are more than a couple hidden or not-so hidden details in the evil or alternatives routes in Undertale. But these are not the way the game is intended to be played; but the true pacifist route who also happens to be the canonical route and the canonical ending. It features more details, interactions and secrets about the characters and the world, as it is logical. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Undertale is intended to be a classic and lighthearted JRPG.

Which is why trying to convince people that didn't wanted to give the game an opportunity saying things like 'but you can be evil too!' is mostly pointless. You have to go out of your way to get the evil route, playing in tedium that involves grinding and metagaming. Not to mention that it gives you a bad ending.

You either appreciate Undertale for what it is, or you don't. But giving the game an opportunity and enjoy it is a decision you can make on your own.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
But these are not the way the game is intended to be played;
That's just horseshit full stop. There are SO MANY details in the 'neutral' route it's bigger than the other two routes combined. Separate endings depending on who lived and died, unique dialogue for having slain individual random encounters, and so on. The game was clearly meant to be played blind so you'd get honest, logical consequences to the things you do. You don't code up a dozen scenarios for how the first town will look and various dialogues inside depending on who is alive it if you never intended anyone to see any of that. Full genocide is certainly out of your way, but anything short of that is certainly not.

S.torch

Arbiter
Separate endings depending on who lived and died, unique dialogue for having slain individual random encounters, and so on.

Which amount to a couple of dialogue lines each time you get to the ending and a few more of individual interactions travelling the overworld. While in the True Route you get the entire section of the laboratory, with new lore pieces, enemies and puzzles; new interactions with the main characters (Undyne, Papyrus, et al.); the actual final boss fight; and the epilogue, where you get to talk to every single character from the beginning to the end, including important ones, giving you proper closure to the story and a few mysteries. Plus, that's the canonical ending.

You can get all of that just following the advice given to you at the beginning. Undertale is not a punishing game. The neutral and evil route are just a subpar experience that you'll get if you refuse to engage it properly.

almondblight

Arcane

Yeah, the conversations are between the cow woman on the left and the child in the middle:

Undertale_Cast.png

• [Call Her "Mom"]
    • This is TORIEL.
    • Huh? Did you just call me... "Mom"?
    • Well... I suppose...
    • Would that make you happy?
    • To call me... "Mother?"
    • Well then, call me whatever you like!
  • [Flirt]
    • ... huh???
    • Oh, heh.. heh... Ha ha ha!
    • How adorable... I could pinch your cheek!
    • You can certainly find better than an old woman like me.
  • [Flirt #2]
    • Oh dear, are you serious...?
    • I do not know if this is pathetic, or endearing.
    • [If the protagonist has called Toriel "mom"]
      • Oh dear, are you serious...?
      • And after you said you want to call me "mother..."
      • You are an... ... "interesting" child.

No, the game sets it up so that most people will end up killing her the first time they play. That's actually one of the many things I thought was stupid from the little I played of the game. It's not really about giving a player a choice and seeing the consequences, often it's about having the player play the game the way they would expect to, and then saying "OMG why didn't you decide to make this other decision that you didn't know about, the blood is on your hands now." It feels like a gimmicky flash anti-game. But there are better gimmicky flash anti-games out there.

lightbane

Arcane
Good news, ladies (if any here) and gentlemen! Undertale Yellow, the fangame prequel where you play as one of the kids before the MC, is out!
https://gamejolt.com/games/UndertaleYellow/136925

Against all odds, a fangame that is a full length campaign of 7h+ long duration is released, after 7 years of work! As the OG game, it has 3 routes: Pacifist (kill no one), Neutral (kill some), Genocide (kill everyone), along with some variations here and there. I haven't played it for long yet, but I checked videos and the 3 routes are a bit more different from each other than in the OG game, where the Pacifist route was an extension of the Neutral Route of sorts. Ultimately though, it's more of the same.
I have no idea if the writing is good or bad, but it can't be worse than Small Saga's Reddit Nazis, and it won't feature bear buggery for sure. Shame the MC is referred to as "they", even though he pretty much looks like a boy.

Either way, it's something to play while we wait for Toby Fox to stop wasting our time and release the next chapter of Deltarune.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom