Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1eyedking Understanding Roqua-ism: The RPG Philosophy of Roqua aka YES!

PorkBarrellGuy

My crazy theory was that he was actually more than one person, because I noticed his ability to be relatively, well, bearable (all things considered) in other areas of conversation elsewhere on the forum.

By "crazy theory" do you mean Dissociative Identity Disorder?
:hmmm:
Not THAT crazy. I thought the account was literally being shared by 2 (or more) people.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How disappointing.

:killit:

Whoever could have imagined there was so much forgiveness left in the codex’s shrivelled black heart, or in Roqua’s? I, for one, am disgusted by this show of... empathy.

You maudlin motherfuckers.

:badnews:

If Roqua’s actually autoejecting or even just going on hiatus, do you really think this is how he’d want things to end, with hugs and kisses and reassuring pats on the back? Nay! He deserves to go out in a blaze of glory, or at least a blaze of pedophilia accusations.

(end rant)

antagonists

Nope. Not my intention at all.

You think you have me totally pegged, but you don't. Maybe someday we'll do an Infinitronism thread.

I figured you were asking an honest question but hoped on some level this was some kind of four dimensional chess move. Like Sun Tzu tells us: “Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate.“

Given how much he ranted about the buttons, my deep suspicion is that he autoejected so he wouldn’t need to restrain himself from using them when the YES! account gets button access in two days.

razvedchiki

Erudite
are people certain that todays roqua is the same person as it was so long ago?
after all we all know the story of a certain genie possesing some members some time ago...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I figured you were asking an honest question but hoped on some level this was some kind of four dimensional chess move. Like Sun Tzu tells us: “Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate.“

Yes, something like that. I've said before that I'm actually sympathetic to Roqua's position regarding RPGs and the Codex's taste in RPGs. I mean, haven't you noticed that he's complaining that people don't like the games that I'm often accused of "shilling" for? There's something righteous and defensible about what he's saying and I really was hoping he could be serious about it for a minute and hopefully spark an interesting discussion.

At the same time, it would have also been a good thing if all of his attention became soaked up in this thread so he couldn't derail other threads. I wasn't expecting him to have a sudden come-to-Jesus moment though!

PorkBarrellGuy

Could just, you know, not use the buttons if they bother you. Crazy talk, I know.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron

Yes, something like that. I've said before that I'm actually sympathetic to Roqua's position regarding RPGs and the Codex's taste in RPGs. I mean, haven't you noticed that he's complaining that people don't like the games that I'm often accused of "shilling" for? There's something righteous and defensible about what he's saying and I really was hoping he could be serious about it for a minute and hopefully spark an interesting discussion.

At the same time, it would have also been a good thing if all of his attention became soaked up in this thread so he couldn't derail other threads. I wasn't expecting him to have a sudden come-to-Jesus moment though!

Yeah, you may have outsmarted yourself there. That Jesus guy ruins everything.

If Roqua didn’t exist, someone would need to invent him. Hopefully he comes back soon with a spoonful of Xanax to help the medicine go down.

Until then, his spirit lives on.

The bottom line is if you like and want crpgs it is absolutely critical to buy and support the rpgs that are at least striving to be like the greats, even if they fall short or drastically short.

Amen, brothers and sisters. We need a catechism of saint Roqua who autoejected for our sins. Let’s see...

TTON was, at worst, mediocre and a mediocre RPG is better than a good non RPG. Wasteland 2 was pretty solid. Pillars of Eternity, while not perfect, was still a good game; same goes for Tyranny. Everyone on this CRPG forum who calls real CRPG fans corporate shills for actually liking and promoting CRPGs—ostensibly the purpose of this place—is mentally deficient. People who like pokeman are child molesters.

What else belongs in the catechism? I feel like I’m missing a lot, but would prefer to leave out the anal leakage.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
are people certain that todays roqua is the same person as it was so long ago?
after all we all know the story of a certain genie possesing some members some time ago...
Maybe Roqua is a title passed down from one champion to another in a mortal combat atop of mount Olympus,under the watchful eyes of the gods?!

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Roqua

First, learn to write.
Second, start a blog called roqua.blogspot.com.
Next, post write-ups about RPGs which are certainly not monocled but at the same time not shit-tier, and fairly popular. Employ a friendly and fairly balanced tone.
Then, build a readership by virtue of that.
Ok, the crux. Once you're getting 1 million views per year, become polemical. Start to devalue the above RPGs against truly monocled ones, of which you now step up coverage. In this way, you will give exposure to the monocled RPGs and influence people to try them out.
Congrats. Pat yourself on the back, for you have now done your duty to the genre — but don't stop. Keep refining your palate. Ever-steepen that treatment incline.

And of course, don't forget to keep posting on the 'Dex. The 'Dex has many monocled members, but is getting a bit overrun with Bethestards, edgy shitposters and agents of decline, who think they have good taste and know stuff. Whenever one of these specimens opens their gaping maw of ignorance to argue with you, cite your own write-ups as authoritative, and insult them.

This will generate outrage and butthurt like you wouldn't believe. :smug:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Roqua

First, learn to write.
Next, post write-ups about RPGs which are certainly not monocled but at the same time not shit-tier, and fairly popular. Employ a friendly and fairly balanced tone.
Ok, the crux. Once you're getting 1 million views per year, become polemical. Start to devalue the above RPGs against truly monocled ones, of which you now step up coverage. In this way, you will give exposure to the monocled RPGs and influence people to try them out.
Congrats. Pat yourself on the back, for you have now done your duty to the genre — but don't stop. Keep refining your palate. Ever-steepen that treatment incline.

And of course, don't forget to keep posting on the 'Dex. The 'Dex has many monocled members, but is getting a bit overrun with Bethestards, edgy shitposters and agents of decline, who think they have good taste and know stuff. Whenever one of these specimens opens their gaping maw of ignorance to argue with you, cite your own write-ups as authoritative, and insult them.

i-can-typing.gif

Fairfax

Arcane
They had no time to work on the UI and one of Chris Avellone's greatest regrets was all the wasted time they spent on kotor 2's new interface. :M
Slightly misleading, since it wasn't his call. +M

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Rule №1 : Never have any regrets.

We can’t all be Edith Piaf.

Slightly misleading, since it wasn't his call. +M

I didn't intend to suggest it was. If I'm remembering right, it was Parker's :argh: call.

Why is Chris Parker so terrible? Of the many guys named Chris who’ve worked at Obsidian he seems to be the worst by far. I know he’s a founder but can’t they give him the boot? What does Feargus see in this fuckface other than long association?

Roqua

First, learn to write.

Ah ha, so it was a secret plan all along and not at all a meltdown? Of course, it was staring us in the face —how could we have been so blind? You really know how to get into character.

But doesn’t this interpretation mean you were pandering to, well, scrubs? And if I know one thing, it’s that Lilura don’t want no scrubs.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
But doesn’t this interpretation mean you were pandering to, well, scrubs? And if I know one thing, it’s that Lilura don’t want no scrubs.

I wouldn't call Infinity/Aurora player-base scrubs, per se.

Deleted member 7219

Parker is an owner, and his wife is head of HR which makes him (and her) the most powerful people in the company.

I’m still amazed Avellone left considering his talent and that they were all meant to have been friends since the earliest days of Interplay.

Something should have been done the minute he started pimping himself out. Instead his resentment was allowed to grow. That’s shitty HR right there and shitty behaviour from the other owners.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Certainly not the infinity player base. Haven’t you called the Aurora base a lot worse than that lately?

Probably. Their ignorance of what constitutes the spirit of D&D causes me to hold them in contempt at times, but at least we get Swordflight out of it (I've posted in-depth commentary on it). I'm contemptuous of the Infinity Engine player-base at times, too; specifically, those who think BG2 > BG and have only played BG in the BG2 engine. Those people are scrubs, through and through.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Given how much he ranted about the buttons, my deep suspicion is that he autoejected so he wouldn’t need to restrain himself from using them when the YES! account gets button access in two days.
This crossed my mind as well :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom