Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

NotSweeper

Educated
Apparently Styg's gonna add a spin up mechanic which will lower the AP cost of miniguns once they're spinning. They'll prolly end up being better than LMGs after the buff/nerf.
Right now there's no reason to use them over LMGs.

ciox

Liturgist
Apparently Styg's gonna add a spin up mechanic which will lower the AP cost of miniguns once they're spinning. They'll prolly end up being better than LMGs after the buff/nerf.
Right now there's no reason to use them over LMGs.
And I suppose you have the Discord screenshots to corroborate this?

Anyway... this doesn't seem to do anything about:
Minigun spinups bigger than 2-3 stacks not triggering and not being necessary in the vast majority of combat encounters. Either because the enemies died, or because you died after using 45 AP to fire 4 bullets instead of 15 bullets.
Minigun spinup being too easy to lose because one turn without shooting and it's lost, this can happen for many random reasons including enemies running away out of sight, or enemies not respawning/reinforcing fast enough, not just player error.

Hell, you can also lose minigun spinup by firing a burst that's smaller than the maximum... fire a burst that's just a few bullets because that's all you had left in the magazine and you won't refresh the duration. Why? Because fuck you.

ciox

Liturgist
Now that I think about it, this whole spinup thing would have worked better if miniguns essentially worked to extend the length of combat encounters, by applying stronger suppressive fire debuffs to enemies perhaps, and defensive boost to player that isn't available to LMGs, then some more combat encounters might have been shifted into the zone where miniguns are the right tool and there's time for them to spin up.

CHEMS

Scholar
I think i'm gonna go for a energy build. That new unique energy pistol looks sweet.

Too bad they made the energy cannon thing a Heavy Weapon skill based weapon.

CHEMS

Scholar
This buff was before HD though, i remember using this ability against the spiders on Expedition

Also there's a unique grenade launcher that does not have a strength requirement, so i can use that with my energy build. It's on Depot A, so i can get that early too

CHEMS

Scholar
GLs can get powerful crits, but you have to roll them dice...
I assume that ambush won't work neither, right...?
I haven't tested it, but it really shouldn't.
On the other hand if you're using energy weapons you have access to this https://www.stygiansoftware.com/wiki/index.php?title=Polarized
Polarized isn't new though. Also i've never actually relied on it. If you're running a crit laser build, there's few fights were this debuff actually helps, like some boss on dominating. You'll melt anything even without it.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
new unique lazor pistol got 100% polarize. Back when I played my space pirate, I used polarizing gun only against nagas, i think? But with new gun you get it for free

CHEMS

Scholar
Well i think the Thumper is really nice. You can blow mobs up twice as soon as you get it: one shot with Thumper and one grenade throw, can easily clear mobs this way.

CHEMS

Scholar
I'm really enjoying the Grenade Launcher. I think i'll try that GL build that's on underrail forum later on.

Sunri

Liturgist
Guys, do you stash your loot somewhere or what I'm constantly have to run back to put shit in the locker

CHEMS

Scholar
Guys, do you stash your loot somewhere or what I'm constantly have to run back to put shit in the locker
Stash it all on your room in SGS, then autistically organize them in containers by category when i get to have my house

CHEMS

Scholar
So... did anyone tried to experiment the minigun with contaminated bullets? Seems like a interesting way to pepper the whole screen with toxic clouds.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Overall Expedition is mediocre at best for multiple reasons:
By what standard are you calling it mediocre?
- the new enemies design is boring and there is nothing clever as a death stalker, but they all have bloated hp,
The humanoid enemies throughout Expedition are not boring, though I don't know if that's what you're referring to. I like the Spiders, with the Webbers pinning you down and shooting you from afar while the Creepers come to finish you up close. The rest aren't particularly inspiring I'll admit, but they're interesting the first time around and there is enough variety with the Natives and Pirates for Expedition to still be fun.
- the encounters design is garbage or non-existent, the amount of trash encounters is simply soul crushing,
Hard disagree here. The Native encounter after exiting the Joint Security Headquarters, the Strongmen and Maiden encounter at the Health Center, the Native/Wildlife encounter at Blistering Shores, the Native Boss Fights in general and assaulting the Pirate Base are all examples of great encounters. Let it be noted that the Grey Army Base mission was also added in Expedition and is great as well.
- the jet ski mechanics are gimmicks which become boring quite fast,
It's added content on an already massive game, and if you go down the Pirate quest line, there is some good fun to be had.
- no improvements in quests design, in fact the dlc lacks sidequests and you are railroaded based on a binary choice,
It's hard to improve on already great quest design. JSHQ, Abyssal Station Zero, Dude's Quest, and Rescuing Professor Oldfield are four amazing quests, with the rest not being bad at all. The whole Pirate faction is a side quest, and there is also the quest to find the Torch and deal with Yngwar which are both great side quests.
- if you choose poorly then you are pulled out from exploration everytime the natives have an erection,
Meh. Has never been a problem with me. You can get by on dominating by only doing two encounters and auto resolving the rest to be honest, and once you get the mines it ceases to be a problem. You only need to survive five raids for the raids to stop completely.
- the dlc story goes into lovecraftian territory + pirates, signs of creative bankruptcy,
The story now weaves into the existing setting quite well actually with all the added improvements and connections to the base game which is a sign of utilizing existing ideas/motifs well to enhance a setting.
- underwhelming ending.
I thought the ending was fantastic. Discovering what the Godmen were finding and uncovering the truth of what happened in Lemuria as well as learning more about the Big Organizations that ran Underrail was very satisfying.
Still enjoying the game mostly, but in Expeditions, the bullshit at Joint Security Headquarters was utter crap. When you lose all your equipment and have to use stealth and other bs when you aren't specced for it necessarily.

I figured out the basic idea (sneak into the section to the west, trap the 2 robots in the spider area between the gates, get the TNT there, and sneak back and blow up the wall to get the equipment) pretty quickly, but to actually do it successfully took so many effing reloads. The stupid cameras are so unpredictable and always aggro in some loads.

Other than that, my build is coming along nicely. Crafted Infused Leather Overcoat with +11% crit chance, and Seeker Night Vision Goggles with +17% crit chance, so my total crit chance is 59% now, and 62% for humanoids. With almost fully specialized critical power and .44 Hammerers, it's a thing of beauty, blowing up Naga Destroyers like Pepsi bottles.
It's a great encounter that came out of left field. You can also use hacking to get your equipment back which is my go to. Finally, the encounter at the end is great.
1) the way you deal with the natives is unrealistic, there should have been an option to assault with allies
Great critique.
2) I almost feel like it should be near-mandatory for the expedition to end in catastrophe. A “The Terror”-like feel would suit the DLC better, unfortunately my expedition never really ran into resource problems
Great suggestion as well.
So... did anyone tried to experiment the minigun with contaminated bullets? Seems like a interesting way to pepper the whole screen with toxic clouds.
I saw some photos from the Discord and it is indeed as insane as it sounds. Just expensive to get the bullets for.

ciox

Liturgist
the only GL grenades that have as much radius as handgrenades, so that's pretty good IMO.

ciox

Liturgist
I'm really enjoying the Grenade Launcher. I think i'll try that GL build that's on underrail forum later on.
Interesting, I found the early GLs you can get or craft to be quite underwhelming on Dom, but it may be that LMGs are just too strong.

razvedchiki

Erudite
im trying to fit a grenade launcher into an assault rifle build, but i think its better to keep using a sniper rifle opener and then the AR. Fastest AR is a rapid hornet 7.62 for 27ap bursts, this leaves me 2 ap short to fire the unique 40mm thumper. maybe against blobs of low life mobs the GL is better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom