Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Gun-Fu, multiple weapons, yeah no thanks.
Gun-Fu is very thematic, potentially. Obviously you don't want to roleplay/larp a Gun-Fu master. There is nothing wrong about using two types of weapons either, it just requires you to axe some secondary perks. Otherwise there is nothing non-thematic about that. I'd even say it's more realistic although it's more like snipers + shotgun or AR etc, not two kind of pistols.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Finally trying out HEAVY DUTY with a HEAVY LMG BOY

Once I actually got an LMG (Junkyard), hoo boy. Everything in Depot A just disappears. I've run dozens of builds and I can think of very few that could just stand in front of an entire map's worth of muties, just stand there and destroy. Just had to spend every single penny on ammo.

I suspect this will continue to shred then run into resistance challenges etc later game, but we'll see.
It's a tin can lmg-er?

Tigranes

Arcane
Finally trying out HEAVY DUTY with a HEAVY LMG BOY

Once I actually got an LMG (Junkyard), hoo boy. Everything in Depot A just disappears. I've run dozens of builds and I can think of very few that could just stand in front of an entire map's worth of muties, just stand there and destroy. Just had to spend every single penny on ammo.

I suspect this will continue to shred then run into resistance challenges etc later game, but we'll see.
It's a tin can lmg-er?

Yeah, pretty much a 5-second thinking "11 STR for shiny new feat" guy. I dunno if STR Vers Sledge is actually viable

ciox

Liturgist
It definitely does, just with less precision, at least on the intended targets.
The most broken build is probably still a build where you can pick and choose the most dangerous targets to go down, then worry about the rest later.
LMG will kill a lot of things per turn but it doesn't let you pick who goes down, precision often goes down to 10% and randomness decides who actually gets hit in the cone.

Grenade launchers turned out interesting too, everyone thought they would be broken but it feels like they are not worth crafting at low to medium quality, high AP cost and no CC while many enemies will need 3+ hits to die especially if they can heal. There's things in the game that are a lot more powerful and it feels existence of GLs doesn't have much effect on the early game, even deep into Core City, you'll notice LMGs and Psi are still way stronger than GLs. Dom but likely applies to Hard also.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Lol, have you tried accessing the Protectorate's dock in Core City after you've joined the Protectorate? I got some funny dialogue with the guard outside.

I joined the Protectorate, but in parallel, I was doing that quest for Gorsky in Core City, and had to steal some shield emitters from the Protectorate base. Couldn't be arsed with the stealth approach (my build doesn't allow for it), so I ended up taking out lke 20,000 Protectorate troopers. Hopefully that won't backfire.

Playing through the Expeditions DLC now, it's fun and well done. The only thing annoying so far has been the second wave of native attacks on the base, so fucking many of them, and your allies barely provide any help. Hope it doesn't get too much worse.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I just started Expedition now, with my lvl 18 AR/Sniper character. I'm not following a build guide, it felt like spoiling the fun too much. This is my second time attempting to complete the game, and second time I begin Expedition. Last time was when Expedition was just released, and my character was lvl 15 or 16, so just barely qualifying. Eventually I paused playing for some reason - usually travel or holidays - and didn't return.

Mauman

Learned
I joined the Protectorate, but in parallel, I was doing that quest for Gorsky in Core City, and had to steal some shield emitters from the Protectorate base. Couldn't be arsed with the stealth approach (my build doesn't allow for it), so I ended up taking out lke 20,000 Protectorate troopers. Hopefully that won't backfire.

Playing through the Expeditions DLC now, it's fun and well done. The only thing annoying so far has been the second wave of native attacks on the base, so fucking many of them, and your allies barely provide any help. Hope it doesn't get too much worse.
You can just give him 10 shields now. He pouts a bit which I found amusing.

jackofshadows

Magister
I'm thinking about dropping smg 24 lvl run. Don't like smg I think, they suck (relatively speaking). That said, I've enjoyed the fuck out of armor sloping, having super steel metal armor is really making a diference and I didn't feel as a glass canon anymore at all (except for the lunatics kind).

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That said, I've enjoyed the fuck out of armor sloping, having super steel metal armor is really making a diference and I didn't feel as a glass canon anymore at all (except for the lunatics kind).
Armor Sloping with Super Steel and high agility is a ton of fun. The hybrid playstyle of not being completely glass cannon but also still being mobile really changes how many encounters feel. I played a Combo Monk with PK if you're interested in a build.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Every once in a while I bow to the area, systems, and encounter design, and I wonder who are those people, who have such perfect knowledge over RPGs and over their own systems so as to design perfectly for those systems. And I kind of know how they've achieved it - they've played a lot of RPGs for one thing, and they are a small enough team to have complete knowledge over how their game works.

But even granted those advantages, I have to admire the structure of Expedition in its own right. You have this area infested with this annoying enemy type. You can bang your head against the wall and brute force your way through the area. But if you take another dungeon first, you can find a workaround to help you. The workaround still doesn't trivialize things, but it eases the burden, and also provides the RP feeling of "I'm being smart, and my efforts are building up to something". And as a bonus - both the brute-force approach and the workaround approach work through the systems, it's not scripted.

It's not that complex to execute, but even midsized development teams don't go through the trouble of designing their large quest chains with such a flexible and branching structure.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Every once in a while I bow to the area, systems, and encounter design, and I wonder who are those people, who have such perfect knowledge over RPGs and over their own systems so as to design perfectly for those systems. And I kind of know how they've achieved it - they've played a lot of RPGs for one thing, and they are a small enough team to have complete knowledge over how their game works.

But even granted those advantages, I have to admire the structure of Expedition in its own right. You have this area infested with this annoying enemy type. You can bang your head against the wall and brute force your way through the area. But if you take another dungeon first, you can find a workaround to help you. The workaround still doesn't trivialize things, but it eases the burden, and also provides the RP feeling of "I'm being smart, and my efforts are building up to something". And as a bonus - both the brute-force approach and the workaround approach work through the systems, it's not scripted.

It's not that complex to execute, but even midsized development teams don't go through the trouble of designing their large quest chains with such a flexible and branching structure.
... and this is how you properly fellate a developer! :smug:

Overall Expedition is mediocre at best for multiple reasons:
- the new enemies design is boring and there is nothing clever as a death stalker, but they all have bloated hp,
- the encounters design is garbage or non-existent, the amount of trash encounters is simply soul crushing,
- the jet ski mechanics are gimmicks which become boring quite fast,
- no improvements in quests design, in fact the dlc lacks sidequests and you are railroaded based on a binary choice,
- if you choose poorly then you are pulled out from exploration everytime the natives have an erection,
- the dlc story goes into lovecraftian territory + pirates, signs of creative bankruptcy,
- there is definitely a tone shift between the dlc and the main game, or maybe the dlc was rushed,
- underwhelming ending.

Last edited:

ciox

Liturgist
The issue there is that even with that quality rollback, it's still far above other slop, AwesomeButton just said that he returned to this game after a long break of playing other games.

I definitely wanted more areas like Junkyard and Core City with their complex intertwined questlines, but for some reason it seems we have to wait for a full sequel for that to happen, it is what it is.

AwesomeButton

Patron

- the new enemies design is boring and there is nothing clever as a death stalker, but they all have bloated hp,
- the encounters design is garbage or non-existent, the amount of trash encounters is simply soul crushing,
- no improvements in quests design, in fact the dlc lacks sidequests and you are railroaded based on a binary choice,
- if you choose poorly then you are pulled out from exploration everytime the natives have an erection,
- the dlc story goes into lovecraftian territory + pirates, sign of creative bankruptcy,
- there is definitely a tone shift between the dlc and the main game, or maybe the dlc was rushed,
- underwhelming ending.
It's just my honest first-time impression. Last time I attempted Expedition I was about lvl 16 and got my ass profoundly kicked. I'm not denying I'm writing under the influence of first-time experiencing something and unfamiliar with the complete thing, but if it feels good, it feels good :)

Maybe it's a matter of taste, or build (strong Sneak on mine), but the density gives me the feeling that the region has been abandoned by people and the wildlife has proliferated, and that by exploring, I'm hacking my way through the jungle so to speak.

- the dlc story goes into lovecraftian territory + pirates, sign of creative bankruptcy,
You could say that, I could say it ties in thematically with something like "Heart of Darkness". Sneaking into the pirates' base and killing a large number of them, including the captain in his quarters, was pretty fun. "You kidnap my guy? Fuck you, I'll shit all over your little base!"

The expansion works great as a power fantasy. It lets me wave my 12.7 sniper around and exact vengeance with a developed character build.

VonMiskov

Educated
I would address creative bankruptcy and underwhelming ending in Expedition as the vanilla game didn't shine in that aspect either. So there was no downgrade in that department. I really mostly like the world building in UR but some aspects. Not to mention the fact that the main quest is underwhelming and underwritten in the end with no real resolution to why you were just glorified errand boy. And all your questions were unanswered because Styg litterally didn't give it any thought and fuck.

AwesomeButton

Patron
And all your questions were unanswered because Styg litterally didn't give it any thought and fuck.
"Based and redpilled", as kids say. I'm taking it as an 80s action movie. Why look for deep meanings. Why does everything have to be an "universe". Let it be entertainment.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I definitely wanted more areas like Junkyard and Core City with their complex intertwined questlines, but for some reason it seems we have to wait for a full sequel for that to happen, it is what it is.
I agree but I don't think it will happen.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

- underwhelming ending.
It's just my honest first-time impression. Last time I attempted Expedition I was about lvl 16 and got my ass profoundly kicked. I'm not denying I'm writing under the influence of first-time experiencing something and unfamiliar with the complete thing, but if it feels good, it feels good :)

Maybe it's a matter of taste, or build (strong Sneak on mine), but the density gives me the feeling that the region has been abandoned by people and the wildlife has proliferated, and that by exploring, I'm hacking my way through the jungle so to speak.

You could say that, I could say it ties in thematically with something like "Heart of Darkness". Sneaking into the pirates' base and killing a large number of them, including the captain in his quarters, was pretty fun. "You kidnap my guy? Fuck you, I'll shit all over your little base!"

The expansion works great as a power fantasy. It lets me wave my 12.7 sniper around and exact vengeance with a developed character build.
Fair enough. Have fun.

Cologno

Educated
I would address creative bankruptcy and underwhelming ending in Expedition as the vanilla game didn't shine in that aspect either. So there was no downgrade in that department. I really mostly like the world building in UR but some aspects. Not to mention the fact that the main quest is underwhelming and underwritten in the end with no real resolution to why you were just glorified errand boy. And all your questions were unanswered because Styg litterally didn't give it any thought and fuck.
Was there any indication what the surface was like? Unihabitable, I know, but any detail how wretched it actually was? I completed the main campaign years ago, but I came away thinking the world's denizens had been down there so long even they had no real reason to know topside conditions.

Old Hans

Arcane
no way. I wanna see more quests like hopper round up

Still enjoying the game mostly, but in Expeditions, the bullshit at Joint Security Headquarters was utter crap. When you lose all your equipment and have to use stealth and other bs when you aren't specced for it necessarily.

I figured out the basic idea (sneak into the section to the west, trap the 2 robots in the spider area between the gates, get the TNT there, and sneak back and blow up the wall to get the equipment) pretty quickly, but to actually do it successfully took so many effing reloads. The stupid cameras are so unpredictable and always aggro in some loads.

Other than that, my build is coming along nicely. Crafted Infused Leather Overcoat with +11% crit chance, and Seeker Night Vision Goggles with +17% crit chance, so my total crit chance is 59% now, and 62% for humanoids. With almost fully specialized critical power and .44 Hammerers, it's a thing of beauty, blowing up Naga Destroyers like Pepsi bottles.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I loved the DLC, especially the tone and the story. It has the best combat track ever made for an RPG period.

The only thing I actively disliked is:

1) the way you deal with the natives is unrealistic, there should have been an option to assault with allies

2) I almost feel like it should be near-mandatory for the expedition to end in catastrophe. A “The Terror”-like feel would suit the DLC better, unfortunately my expedition never really ran into resource problems

toro’s cherry-picked criticism belies all of Expeditions’ strengths, which are so many - from some of the area design to a big step up in character writing quality to key moments, like negotiation with the pirates being one of the most well-designed dialogues I’ve enjoyed in an RPG, ludically speaking.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom