Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

notpl

Arbiter
Does the expedition have its own quests besides exploring ruins like pirate's raids?
Not really. It's basically a few main quests: deal with the ruins, deal with the pirates, deal with the natives, and "deal with the pirates" is really just one big event and otherwise it's genocide, same as the natives. I don't remember anything that you could properly call a "side quest" that wasn't part of the above.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Does the expedition have its own quests besides exploring ruins like pirate's raids?
Not really. It's basically a few main quests: deal with the ruins, deal with the pirates, deal with the natives, and "deal with the pirates" is really just one big event and otherwise it's genocide, same as the natives. I don't remember anything that you could properly call a "side quest" that wasn't part of the above.
dude and mutant quest lines. Perhaps phreak? Although you might argue that phreak and mutant are main ones, so only dude

notpl

Arbiter
dude and mutant quest lines. Perhaps phreak? Although you might argue that phreak and mutant are main ones, so only dude
When he said "the expedition" I figured he meant the expedition area, not just "added by the expansion in general."

NandoGando

Literate
Is quad plate super steel armor worth it? Seems like its about 10% extra mechanical/energy resistance for a 95% armor penalty... My character has 3 agility but even still you can't make use of boot springs for example

Zeem

Learned
Is quad plate super steel armor worth it? Seems like its about 10% extra mechanical/energy resistance for a 95% armor penalty... My character has 3 agility but even still you can't make use of boot springs for example
Depends on what you're trying to do. If you're trying to get to 95% mech DR then it can be a good choice, especially if you can save a point in STR and/or can't find enough high quality tungsten plates.
What is your build like anyway?

motherfucker

Educated
Just got me a new PC with a 3:2 screen(2880x1920), was excited to play my favourite game only to find out there's no option for my aspect ratio. Real quality development there, Styg.

Derf

Barely Literate
Can Six still be killed in the legacy version of the game? If so, I would like to learn how to do it.

ciox

Liturgist
Can Six still be killed in the legacy version of the game? If so, I would like to learn how to do it.
I believe you could use Expose Weakness to remove the invulnerability of special entities like Six or The Beast.

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
>tfw when starting the Expedition at level 23 and immediately riftwalking back to core city to buy Devastator
1686410597419.png

>pretty good hitchance with 3 AGI and high qual stabilisers
94f.png

Last edited:
Baenkraster almost exclusively got killed by three Sppaeters casting Bilocation on him.
And with Magnar, Mad Chemist fully specced, plus amp from toxic gas grenade, produced a yuge entanglement damage.

Screenshot_182.png
Screenshot_167.png

motherfucker

Educated
Playing Expedition for the first time, what is the purpose of repairing a power generator in West Storage? Doesn't seem to turn anything on in the bunker itself

Playing Expedition for the first time, what is the purpose of repairing a power generator in West Storage? Doesn't seem to turn anything on in the bunker itself
It makes the muties happier so their merchant will sell you things. Assuming they gave you permission to go down there. If you didn't get permission then it actually makes them attack you since they're mad you snuck in.

Tygrende

Arbiter
I'm a professional Six killer. Here's the various ways that used to work in the previous versions of the game, in order of discovery:
  • corrosive acid/expose weakness, used to reduce his 100% DR/DT so you could damage him with anything (fixed a long time ago, way before expedition)
  • ground fire, % max HP damage used to ignore all resists (discovered and fixed not long after acid/EW)
  • energy pistols with polarizer, same deal as with corrosive acid but only for energy/electricity damage (discovered during expedition alpha, fixed shortly after, Styg threatened to ban testers if we killed him in the meantime, he may or may not have been joking)
  • cut-throat with wicked hook, the resist bypass used to work (discovered not long after hook was added, fixed in a rather recent hotfix together with laser casts)
None of those will work in legacy psi version, though. First 3 were fixed a long time before and hook was added after.
There is one more way that works in the current version of the game, at least in theory. It should work in legacy as well. I will not reveal it, at least not here. The walls have ears.

Last edited:

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Just started this game. Is there some place that has some background lore? Not any story spoilers, just stuff that would be common knowledge to people in the setting.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just started this game. Is there some place that has some background lore? Not any story spoilers, just stuff that would be common knowledge to people in the setting.
You will pick up on everything as you play the game. It works really well in Underrail so rest assured if you're worried about there not being anything "concrete" enough.

If you do want some setting basics in a non spoilery way, I could give you a small write up here in the thread. Wiki might have some decent stuff to but it might be baked in with spoilers.

None

Scholar
The surface is fucked past the point of being habitable. As a result, humanity retreated into the Earth to live in an underground complex called the underrail. Created by a corporation named Biocorp, underrail is essentially a giant metro which connects warehouses, living facilities, forges and anything else Biocorp needs to continue their operations. Over the years, Biocorp would rise and fall, with each new incarnation weaker than the last. Eventually they proved unable to maintain control as a riot swept over Core City, their last bastion of power, about 15 years ago. With Biocorp a thing of the past, various groups move in to fill the vacuum or to exert their independence.

I could go into more detail but that is the gist of it. It is highly debatable what constitutes "common knowledge" among anyone, as the nature of life below the surface and after Biocorp's fall is highly isolated and people are more focused on keeping their societies together than anything else. For more, ask around ingame and be inquisitive. Underrail like to play hard to get and will only talk about itself if you show interest, so don't expect much unless you go out of your way.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
2 questions :
* Is "Killing the beast" quest in The Foundry mandatory ? I think I majorly fucked up myself by losing the tool to summon the creature.
* I can start Expedition now, but my character is still fairly weak and I get randomly killed by random stuff all the absolute time. I don't want to get into a situation where I get stuck and have to reload, but I do feel like exploring a few of the new areas before wanting to go back to the "base" game. Am I at risk of being stuck in a zone or in too much of a difficult fight BEFORE being allowed to come back when I start Expeditions ?

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
* Is "Killing the beast" quest in The Foundry mandatory ? I think I majorly fucked up myself by losing the tool to summon the creature.
nope. However its one of the triggers that allow you to start expedition. Its a big problem if you wanted to craft high quality tichrome or tungsten weapons. Also a LOT of xp in case of oddity.

* I can start Expedition now, but my character is still fairly weak and I get randomly killed by random stuff all the absolute time. I don't want to get into a situation where I get stuck and have to reload, but I do feel like exploring a few of the new areas before wanting to go back to the "base" game. Am I at risk of being stuck in a zone or in too much of a difficult fight BEFORE being allowed to come back when I start Expeditions ?
what level are you? Usually when expedition opens you should be 16-ish and your character is done.
You are allowed back as soon as you finish first assigned area with mutants. Dont want to spoil much, as long as you are out of expedition area nothing weird will happen.

There's a pretty large scale fight as soon as you start expedition. Might be impossible depending on build/level. Lots of melee guys, lots of bitch crossbow guys shooting you from outside sight range. I guess the good news is it happens right at the start so if it does turn out to be impossible you know it then so you can load an old save right there. Won't be much time wasted.

>Engage in super in-depth conversation persuading Todd that it's perfectly safe to open the door
>mfw discovering what's behind it
Screenshot_208.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom