Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
A major reason tactics = build in Underrail is that you play as one character.

Col Michael D Wyly said:
"How encouraging it is to see that the Gazette continues to publish articles on the all-too-often neglected tactical level of war—right down to the squad!"
https://mca-marines.org/blog/gazette/studying-squad-tactics/

The article goes on to imply that some military minds consider even the squad level to be too granular/small-scale/"zoomed-in" to be of direct tactical concern (the author and others disagree), but what's clear is that no one is talking about "individual tactics," probably because one-man commando raids are by and large fictional scenarios.

CHEMS

Scholar
Tactics is everything you can do in the game in order to win.

Metagaming is tactics
Build making is tactics
Spamming bear traps is tactics
Pitting enemies against other enemies is tactics
Reloading after the 30th with a sore ass but finally winning is tactics
Guzzling 30lbs worth of drugs is tactics
Stealthing past everything is tactics
Stealing your opponents ammo and consumables before engaging them is tactics

If it's stupid and it works, then it's not stupid

1um21w.png

Sratopotator

Savant
Splitting hairs: The thread

Jason Liang
I don't think any changes, that could be made without restructuring the whole game, would help in what you perceive as lack of "actual tactics". Overhauling the AI, polishing the encounters or even making the feats a bit less op, would probably make the game slightly better, sure, but this won't magically change its style.

You obviously want a tight and structured experience - Dragonfall as an example of a single character RPG with tactical depth is the perfect proof.
The reason why you feel like you are using "actual tactics" is because the game is linear, with each mission being tailored to your current power level. Mission batches with non optional intermissions are a cool take on a linear game, but this structure is fundamentally different from Underrail's (barring Depot A).
This, plus certain level of difficulty and depth to the Dragonfall's combat, causes you to constantly feel the need to use all the tools at your disposal. Which in turn causes you to reevaluate those tools and your approach.
A fun loop, not gonna lie.

But Underrail has the systems to provide depth to combat - if you are using an Underrail encounter as an example of what you are looking for, you do agree that it is possible to dig out, right?
Sooo, it seems to me that by saying "actual tactics", you clearly mean "difficulty" instead.

AND you're saying this after already learning everything there is to learn about the ingame systems, which is important because...

You don't seem to understand that AoD or Underrail are derivatives of Fallout, a game which basically gives you the option of overriding most of the combat if you understand the system and create a character that focuses purely killing stuff.
You roll a killer, you become a combat god, you can stomp everything. You suck at non-combat stuff, but it doesn't really matter, cause you still can complete the game. Works as intended.
After a while, combat challenge comes from using non-optimal builds and trying to complete certain encounters while being underleveled.

AoD clearly responds to this approach by locking you out of content on the opposite side of build spectrum when you (over)specialize your character. Combat won't be hard if you go all in into combat skills, simple.
It's difficult if you have no idea what you are doing, or if you start experimenting with hybrid builds.
AoD's tactical systems are a lot more shallow than Underrail's, but again this is relative to your character choices - you may be forced to use all tools at your disposal, and there is enough of those tools to keep the tactical part of player's brain occupied.
It's not super deep, but it is deep enough for the experimentation<->reevaluation loop to occur, at least for the most part.

Underrail doesn't have the same content based build balance, you will be able to complete 99% of ingame content with each character. So, the variation happens in HOW you deal with the tactical problems you face. Some builds may play similarly to others, and some play in a more unique way.
You enter the experimentation<->reevaluation loop, learn one approach completely, then you move to the next one.
Some approaches will be more "interesting" (action packed or "actually tactical" or whatnot) than others = balance fags need not apply.
Similarly to Fallout, after a while combat challenge comes from using non-optimal builds and trying to complete certain encounters while being underleveled - exactly like your Lunatics Mall example.

In those games character creation is almost literally an extension of the difficulty system.
Imagine selecting the hardest difficulty in this type of game, and then choosing the most cheesy and OP build there is.
Stating that the game is too easy even on the hardest difficulty seems dumb in this scenario - you consciously selected the easiest way to play the game, which basically overrides the selected difficulty.
If it would work in the opposite way - difficulty overriding the build you selected, it wouldn't be as much of an open rpg. It would presumably make a more tight and balanced game, but who the fuck wants that in an open kind of an RPG?

And of course, as another poster said, a lot of fun in those games comes from seeing your weakling char evolve to a pro, and then maybe a god tier being. You cannot have this at the same time as having a flat power curve - the thing that could cause Underrail combat to be constantly and evenly challenging.

To summarize, those kinds of games are not made to provide you an even challenge, no matter the choices you make. On the contrary.
You're barking at the wrong tree.

Jason Liang

Arcane
AoD has far superior potential for tactical depth than Underrail for one simple reason: combat encounters in AoD are handcrafted. Unlike mobs in Underrail which are cut and paste clones, nearly every enemy you kill has individualized weapons, armor and skill. Therefore when I played AoD with a 0 combat or weapon skills build, each encounter required figuring out a specific solution, the correct order to kill enemies, the correct place to stand, etc...

Read my Barbari walkthrough https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/recommend-me-something.113478/page-2#post-4958811. Each of the Barbari have different weapons. There is a clear order of which must be killed first and which can be saved for last, but you don't figure this out until you've played the battle over and over, figuring out exactly how to survive each turn. Without tactics, with a zero combat skill build, you would be slaughtered. This is how tactical depth is achieved - the game forcing you to grown and learn. You learn which order the Barbari take their turns in; how to dance around 3 fighters to minimize the swings you take, especially the potentially instantly lethal swings; precisely the correct balance of AP vs armor you need to execute a successful plan; when to reload your hand crossbows several turns ahead instead of taking an extra step or an extra swing; exactly how many turns you can survive since you must attrition your enemies down rather than dps/ burst damage, which wont work.

The amazing thing is that practically *each* encounter in AoD is handcrafted, and allows and requires high engagement on a tactical level to beat. What weapons each enemy uses, how many AP they have, whether they are wearing a helm or not, using a shield or not, all that matters absolutely. The sad thing is 99% of players will never discover this since it's only noticed when you play AoD with a 0 combat build.

AoD with 0 combat far, far outweighs Underrail at level 8 or 12 in tactical depth. Its clear that most of you don't understand the difference between shallow and depth since you haven't been deep enough into the water before. Here is an old post I wrote about this subject https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/so-i-just-finished-aod.120178/page-7#post-5626678. It's a scale, not a binary.

I don't think any changes, that could be made without restructuring the whole game, would help in what you perceive as lack of "actual tactics". Overhauling the AI, polishing the encounters or even making the feats a bit less op, would probably make the game slightly better, sure, but this won't magically change its style.
Agreed. Hence I call Underrail tactically shallow. It's an exploration rpg. It's mislabeled to call it combat rpg. It's not my cup of tea, which is why I was glad to be done with it after 1 playthrough, on DOMINATING.

Sooo, it seems to me that by saying "actual tactics", you clearly mean "difficulty" instead.
Sure. Difficulty is one ingredient that leads to forcing players to grow tactically. My biggest issue with Underrail is that the difficulty wasn't there, even on DOMINATING, except for Lunatic Mall at level 8, which would never have happened if I had progressed "normally." Lunatic Mall at level 20 (or whatever is "normal") should have been as difficult as the experience I had at level 8.

But the issue is that Underrail drowns you in OP gear and feats, perhaps way over compensating for being a single character rpg, and those gear and feats take away any need to get better as a player.

I do know that Underrail is an homage to Fallout/ Fallout 2. No one sings the praises of Fallout's combat, and there isn't an 800 page Fallout thread discussing ad nauseum essentially combat character builds (since unlike Fallout there are no non-combat builds in Underrail), which only exists because for some reason this thread attracts people who have no clue about tactics since tactics is almost never discussed.

You roll a killer, you become a combat god, you can stomp everything.
No, in a COMBAT rpg, I want to roll a killer and still have the game kick my ass hard enough that I have to get good as a player to beat it. The near universally greatest fight in AoD, Harran's Pass, isn't acclaimed for being easy.

Stating that the game is too easy even on the hardest difficulty seems dumb in this scenario - you consciously selected the easiest way to play the game, which basically overrides the selected difficulty.
Underrail shoe horns you into combat builds. DOMINATING should be difficult FOR combat builds, not for builds where you are LARPing a sludge merchant. I DID choose to LARP an assassin character - since I actually enjoy combat. I didn't except to be LARPing AKIRA by level 14.

hardcore_game_3.png

Also:
rsz_84aed83c9e48fb608c36df1f78636752.png

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SelfImposedChallenge
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/StopHavingFunGuys
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ChallengeGamer

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
The near universally greatest fight in AoD, Harran's Pass, isn't acclaimed for being easy.
I remember it was... Did it only once though on spear guy, who was killing everything in the game thanks to poking approaching enemies
Yes, in AoD my build was also my strategy

Jason Liang

Arcane
Yes, played normally AoD is also shallow.
Lmao what's your point above then. Dude if you want to play TACTICAL games, play them iknstead of this. Otherwise you'll end up as Lilura, in a loony house.
I do? Like I said a few pages ago, I've mostly just been playing Battletech with BEX for the past year. With BEX, I can have actual power progression yet still get my ass kicked by the AI often enough.

My point is if you did play the two games at a level where tactics matter (AoD with 0 combat/ weapon skills, Underrail with a level 8 character) AoD is far superior in terms of tactical depth, because each enemy and encounter is bespoke. And also because UR's cheat buttons are simply absurd, even compared to AoD. AoD's major problem is actually that its character system doesn't actually work, which is why every fight in the game can be cleared with a 1/1 character - because the combat skills are completely superfluous. Tactics + gear can clear the entire game and build doesn't matter.

I like to lurk this thread since its endless and its always on page 1 of the rpg forum. I only chime up when someone claims something blatantly dumb, this time being that Oddity offered smooth character progression as opposed to classic:

I used to hate oddity because i thought it was too meta-gamey (knowing where oddities are, how to get them, which enemies dropped them), but in the end oddity offers you a even leveling throughout the whole game. But i see no "shame" on playing on classic. There's some builds you want to level up faster, so go after those coil spiders for that sweet XP.

Again, the whole premise is stupid since you can easily clear every area in the game (clear = kill everything) with a level 10 or level 12 character, without using cheat buttons like the toxic gas grenades.

Last edited:

CHEMS

Scholar
Again, the whole premise is stupid since you can probably clear every area in the game (clear = kill everything) with a level 10 or level 12 character, without using cheat buttons like the toxic gas grenades.

Do DOM Naga Fight with a lvl 10~12 character :-D

Jason Liang

Arcane
Again, the whole premise is stupid since you can probably clear every area in the game (clear = kill everything) with a level 10 or level 12 character, without using cheat buttons like the toxic gas grenades.

Do DOM Naga Fight with a lvl 10~12 character :-D
Yes, go ahead! You think its impossible only because you haven't explored what tactics actually allows in Underrail. You only see the game in terms of build and gear. Is a Naga really all that different from a rogue industry bot?

CHEMS

Scholar
You said one could probably clear every area in the game with a 10~12 character... Well, can you?

:hmmm:

Sratopotator

Savant
AoD has far superior potential for tactical depth than Underrail
You're clearly conflating the complexity of ingame systems and how varied tactics can be, with how much effort you have to actually put into the game to reach your goals tactically. Two different things. Though sure, it's best if both are present to a high degree in a combat heavy game.
I'm starting to think that you're doing it consciously, cause the difference is clear and important. Dunno why you would do that, though. Just to prove a nonexistant point?

On paper, AoD has narrower range of possible tactics than Underrail. This is clear. How much you are forced to actually use the available systems a separate topic.
So let's limit ourselves to this piece of the argument, because the alternative is speaking plain bullshit.

players will never discover this since it's only noticed when you play AoD with a 0 combat build.

AoD with 0 combat far, far outweighs Underrail at level 8 or 12 in tactical depth.
Nobody said that the "build play" is the same in Underrail and AoD. Two very different approaches.
Besides, if you want to keep this analogy straight, considering that there is 0 systemic support for non-combat characters in Underrail, you would have to compare fighting with 0 combat skills in AoD, with fighting in Underrail using a weapon you are not "proficient" with, or don't have the feats for.
The we can compare "tactical depth" of both games ("difficulty" obviously, but let's continue using incorrect terms just for kicks, right?).
As I said earlier, in AoD you choose in which field you excel at, can be combat, can be smthn else. In Underrail, you choose the method of killing the enemy that you want to use. In both games, if you focus continuously on the skills you want to use, you won't have any bigger problems in the relevant field.

This means that in Underrail, whatever char optimization you go for, you won't have problems with combat if you master the associated combat skills. But there is "only" combat...

Sure, strange approach at a Fallout like game. We can discuss that, at least you won't be repeating the same half-truths and generalizations.
Lunatic Mall at level 20 (or whatever is "normal") should have been as difficult as the experience I had at level 8.
Oh boy, oh boy. What you are advocating here is a sanbox-y, open world-y game that has a an almost flat power curve, which in turn would require for all the builds to be balanced against each other. Otherwise small increments of the power curve would be multiplied by incorrect build balance, resulting in even more obvious/OP paths through the game, because of relatively low/equal power level of all npcs. Sure, it would result in tighter experience for most builds (combat speaking), but at what price.
Enjoy a boring shlog of a game like that. Yuck.
(Do you recollect any sanbox-y, open world-y RPGs that did this well? If not, there may be a reason :P)

Last edited:

Jason Liang

Arcane
On paper, AoD has narrower range of possible tactics than Underrail. This is clear.
No. Besides the point of bespoke enemies and encounters, which is what allows for deep tactics, AoD's system also allows for attrition. Compare the Barbari fight example from above with clearing Lunatic Mall at level 8, for the Barbari fight I ended at 3 hp. Lunatic Mall, I don't even remember if I even got hit once, if at all. UR on DOMINATING at level 8, there is no attrition. You get hit or spotted, you die. Allowing for attrition opens up tactical depth - hence why I also brought up Dragonfall and cover systems. Also, AoD has a deeper weapon system. This affects your enemies as much as yourself. Go back to the Barbari example. Each Barbari represents a different threat. The Sword barbari can both poison and bleed you - either of which is lethal in a war of attrition. The Axe can hit you from a corner, goes through your armor like paper, and attacking him from melee range provokes a counter attack. The Club is the least dangerous, but his hits will degrade your armor, opening you up to instantly lose to a hit from the Sword. And I haven't even mentioned that your enemies in AoD get attacks of opportunity on you if you move, which makes precise movement even more necessary.

Also, again, Underrail you are using a lot of shallow tactics like doors and walls to break LOS. Most fights in AoD don't have choke points like that (some do), and enemies shoot you THROUGH walls so there's no hiding behind walls either. And again, UR's cc and stun options are simply absurd.

Besides, if you want to keep this analogy straight, considering that there is 0 systemic support for non-combat characters in Underrail, you would have to compare fighting with 0 combat skills in AoD, with fighting in Underrail using a weapon you are not "proficient" with, or don't have the feats for.
Again, AoD's character system *is* fundamentally broken. Underrail's is not, hence you cannot clear areas in Underrail with a 0 combat build without using cheat buttons. Underrail's issue is the lack of mid and end game challenge commensurate with the absurd feats and gear you unlock past level 10.

Lunatic Mall at level 20 (or whatever is "normal") should have been as difficult as the experience I had at level 8.
Oh boy, oh boy. What you are advocating here is a sanbox-y, open world-y game that has a an almost flat power curve, which in turn would require for all the builds to be balanced against each other. Cause otherwise small increments of the power curve would be multiplied by incorrect build balance, resulting in even more obvious/OP paths through the game, because of relatively low/equal power level of all npcs. Sure, it would result in tighter experience (combat speaking), but at what price.
Enjoy a boring shlog of a game like that. Yuck.
(Do you recollect any sanbox-y, open world-y RPGs that did this well? If not, there may be a reason :P)
No. What I mean is that DOMINATING difficulty should have been adjusted to kick your ass from beginning to end.

At the end of the day, the real issue is that Underrail's combat encounters, in fact the whole design philosophy towards combat, is plain bad and shows lack of effort. Like I said, if I had stopped leveling up at level 8 and played the game through, that would have been challenging and satisfying. I didn't because I thought Lunatic Mall was a side area and the game was going to get harder. I was sorely disappointed - it didn't. But even if I had, it still wouldn't have been as fun and satisfying as beating AoD with 0 combat, or games with real tactical depth inherently like Rance X, Battletech, etc...

CHEMS

Scholar
What would be your tactics for clearing an entire DLC worth of automatons with you 12 TC hybrid build? You gotta do it to prove it bro

Jason Liang

Arcane
I also can't understand how some of you can replay this game 10+ times without challenging yourselves to achieve something more difficult, like clearing the game with say a level 12 character. Whenever I see you guys discuss a build at level 24+, its hilarious to me. I finished the game at level 20 and all of the content was stupidly easy by level 16.
every now and then I do another dominating run with throwing knives
Again that's just build, not actual tactics.
and clearing game as lvl12 is tactics?
As level 8-10, using minimal cheat buttons like the toxic gas grenades? Yes. As level 12? Maybe.

Jason Liang

Arcane
What would be your tactics for clearing an entire DLC worth of automatons with you 12 TC hybrid build? You gotta do it to prove it bro
Well, I did kill a rogue industry bot at level 10.
If you want to know, my tactics included 3 poor dead Praetorians distracting it and softening it up for several turns.

CHEMS

Scholar
So did i. Just one industry bot is doable, could you do RAF with a lvl 12 character? I highly doubt it...

Jason Liang

Arcane
So did i. Just one industry bot is doable, could you do RAF with a lvl 12 character? I highly doubt it...
Why not try it?
Your next playthrough, play as you would to Depot A, by which you should be level 6 I think. Then walk to Lunatic Mall, by which you should be level 8, figure out how to clear it at level 8, then go from there. Are there some areas impossible with level 8? Maybe. So save those for 10 or 12. Worst case scenario break out the gas grenades. Its the journey, not the destination.
My only advice is to bring a knife.

Last edited:

NooneHere

Literate
Don't got the time or investment to do min-level gameplay, not my thing...dumb fucking runs around punching things tho.

I do use the combat utilities but my throwing is 0 with no feats in it so can't use that much other than hucking it towards a blob of enemies and hitting most of them and at my fucking feet(because my fists don't need no fucking carry). I have cheese, a god metal pneumatic fist, sneaking of the gods, and the ripper as well as faith for my grenades.

But my favored tactic now is mostly snorting cocaine while in the middle of a group of enemies while having prior downed a gallon of bison jizz and death punch chaining IF possible. Unless there is like a ton of guys that I can't kill em all quick or like, a buncha fucking strongmen and maidens lul. I feel like I should spend the 4-5 supersoldier drugs and focus stims but not until running into an actual roadblock. Other tactics is the ol' lure them into traps...uhhh, waiting round the corner, waiting inside of a building with enough space on either side of the door to avoid getting fucking shot while stunning and moving down the guys in front. I have no shame nor honor on max difficulty.

I ain't got ranged options unless I rushed getting the torch which I am going to use if only because the pain that is the very VERY melee friendly expedition dlc. Maybe, depending on how I feel about it.

Also, man, my sea wyrm boots almost do as much base damage as the ripper, almost. Like 80~% of it. Wear them when I don't need as much stealth or movement.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom