Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How do I make sniper rifles work decently? I found one called Dragunov which looks great, but I have low precision, in general lower than my SMG. It's in perfect condition and my guns skill is fairly high [70 (99) atm].
Dragunov is a decent enough unique. As for making it work, what do you mean precision? Are you talking about chance to hit? Chance to hit is governed by your perception and your gun skill; as well as the darkness of the room. You will have lower chance to hit at a closer range with a sniper rifle.

Jezal_k23

Here's what's wrong.

The following is my K&H MP6 aimed shot on Kendrick (at the maximum distance before he disappears, mind you):

hl2vTGp.jpg

Here's the Dragunov aimed shot from the same distance:

y30x09Q.jpg

K&H MP6 using night vision (maximum distance before he disappears again):

sz4n4dD.jpg

Dragunov:

5whuQHm.jpg

It's not like I can get even farther away because I couldn't see them anymore if I do. What am I doing wrong?

I guess in my imagination I thought that my chance to hit with a sniper rifle from far away would be higher than my chance to hit with an SMG at the same distance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Black Angel

Arcane
Here's what's wrong.

The following is my K&H MP6 aimed shot on Kendrick (at the maximum distance before he disappears, mind you):

hl2vTGp.jpg

Here's the Dragunov aimed shot from the same distance:

y30x09Q.jpg

K&H MP6 using night vision (maximum distance before he disappears again):

sz4n4dD.jpg

Dragunov:

5whuQHm.jpg

It's not like I can get even farther away because I couldn't see them anymore if I do. What am I doing wrong?

I guess in my imagination I thought that my chance to hit with a sniper rifle from far away would be higher than my chance to hit with an SMG at the same distance.
How much Guns skill do you currently have? Also, how much STR do you have? Because sniper rifles need a minimum of 5 STR to be properly wielded.

If with Dragunov, you had all the minimum requirements of 55 Guns skill (including all the bonus from PER) and 5 STR, then there might be a problem, and you probably should report it to Underrail's Bugs subforum.

epeli

Arcane
taviow there's couple of things at play.

First, the MP5 has flat precision bonus and lower skill requirement.

Second, you might lack the strength required to wield the Dragunov.

Third, you're outside the MP5's range. If I'm not mistaken, the hit chance estimator shows you a hit chance from the maximum range in that case. If you did that targeting in turn-based mode, you would notice that the game first wants to move you into range. So you're basically comparing MP5 accuracy at range 9 and Dragunov at range 13.

If you had an SMG and a sniper rifle with equal skill requirements and no other precision modifiers, the sniper rifle could be far more accurate at low weapon skill, but higher weapon skill negates the penalties from range. (250 weapon skill completely negates the effect of range for all weapons except shotguns.) The range modifier of precision calculation basically starts at 100%, is lowered by weapon type specific range penalty times range, then lowered again by weapon type specific range penalty times range exceeding optimal range. Then increased by your weapon skill. Finally capped between 25% and 100%.

ciox

Liturgist
Sniper Rifles actually don't have a precision bonus unless you use a red scope or a bipod, and the Dragunov is designed with stats that suggest no scope bonuses of any kind, its strength lies in being fast-firing and having low movement/melee penalties.
There is the max/optimal range thing but you don't notice it as much because there's not a big distance between max and optimal usually, basically you need everything in order to get accuracy out of sniper rifles.

It's not as special since it lost its lack of a minimum strength, I kinda wish its min strength was 4 or something, or that unique weapon refurbishing idea was put in so you could pay money to give the Dragunov its lack of a STR requirement back.

Last edited:

Jezal_k23

Thanks everyone, I was being dumb again. I'm supposed to eat a rathound BBQ before using the sniper rifle, which I forgot to do (since my STR is 4). Doing that and using night vision makes my chance to hit 94%.

Jezal_k23

I found a way to make the crawlers/death stalker fight the protectorate soldier in the Core City docks warehouse. He wiped them out easily. That guy is tough. I mean look at what he's facing and he gives not a single shit:

0JkLTAr.png

ciox

Liturgist
No need to be coy, it's pretty much down to tossing a grenade while you're out of sight if you want to start infighting.
I'd like to see that fight go down though.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Should I use the oddity system?

For me Oddity is primarily the salvation from GRIND - it's when you can't stop yourself unlock doors you have keys for because you will get experience.
Obsession with completionism is a nightmare, and Oddity is a cure.

Play on Normal, when you feel that game lack resistance to your power, restart and pick Hard.
Same for Domination.

And yes, you always max dodge and evasion.

Well, not always, depends on difficulty level and build.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In

For me Oddity is primarily the salvation from GRIND - it's when you can't stop yourself unlock doors you have keys for because you will get experience.

Its pretty much the other way -to find all oddities you have to be really compulsive completionist,that looks in many places, and grind these places until all oddities are dropped. I have hard time to level to lvl 25 on oddity system, unless i take lot of unnecessary time, whereas with classic system i easily get to lvl 25.

Jezal_k23

I hadn't thought about that, but it could happen. You could reach a point where most oddities you find don't work anymore which results in you obssessing over every single container (I'm currently not doing that). Depends on whether they designed the system as "max level = find enough of absolutely every single oddity type" or not. So far I think it's an excellent system. Taking it relatively easy hasn't starved me of XP yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jezal_k23

Master Exploder... what a dumb motherfucker... he killed himself with his HE grenade...

I increased the resolution so you guys could see the whole combat log, so look at that:

KmzwlMx.jpg

I rushed to get close to him because I thought he wouldn't try to blow himself up (and yeah I forgot to activate my shield).

Jezal_k23

Just beat Carnifex, what a hardcore dude. Acid Blob Pistol saved my ass and is solely responsible for my victory, as he was kept forever rooted in place once I managed to get him trapped. Did the Gauntlet too, that was harder than the arena in general though.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
One of the builds I played with was crossbows + traps + sneak, very fun. Might do it again, did they nerf the feat which lets you put traps during combat without delay etc?

Sykar

Arcane

Its pretty much the other way -to find all oddities you have to be really compulsive completionist,that looks in many places, and grind these places until all oddities are dropped. I have hard time to level to lvl 25 on oddity system, unless i take lot of unnecessary time, whereas with classic system i easily get to lvl 25.

That's ten times better than mindlessly killing respawns. Oddity > Classic any day and every day.

LJ40

Cipher
mindlessly killing respawns
Which is utterly unnecessary to hit level cap in classic. I hit 25 after the 2nd or 3rd Institute mission, just doing every mission I could and killing what got in my way.

The oddity system is great, but I'm really baffled where classic got that total bullshit stigma.

Sykar

Arcane
mindlessly killing respawns
Which is utterly unnecessary to hit level cap in classic. I hit 25 after the 2nd or 3rd Institute mission, just doing every mission I could and killing what got in my way.

The oddity system is great, but I'm really baffled where classic got that total bullshit stigma.

Implying you need level cap to beat the game. Which you don't. As to the stigma its mostly derived from other games where you have to grind to reach the upper echelons of the level system.

Trashos

Arcane
One of the builds I played with was crossbows + traps + sneak, very fun. Might do it again, did they nerf the feat which lets you put traps during combat without delay etc?

No, Quick Tinkering is still intact and overpowered as ever.

Black Angel

Arcane
You don't have to go around obsessively looting garbage cans to finish the game in Oddity either, so it's a moot point.
That, and by default an average RPG player's mindset is to obsessively loot garbage cans and stuff their inventory with literally everything that's not nailed to the wall, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom