Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail - Serbian pillow talk, turning Tricks, taking tips

Tigranes

Arcane
My Stealth Shotgun TM/TC build is struggling to get past Depot A hard. I might have to restart and rethink some things.

Can you post your build? I just breezed through it on Autistic with my brand new TM cave wizard and have some experience with the game, maybe I can give you some pointers, cannot say for sure though, and if I cannot help you I am sure someone else can.

Still mulling over various shotgun options.

A relatively mobile, temporal+shotgun seems like one popular route to take advantage of new toys? 5 STR & 9 PER being baseline, and I suppose the rest go into DEX for movement and dodge/evasion? I'm wondering if there's a less glassy way to go without becoming full tin can. I don't know if in practice temporal can mitigate a low/medium DEX enough to go the CON route, or if that just becomes a messy shitty hybrid.

Give us some concrete ideas via the character builder, maybe some of us can help. You can also ask on the official Underrail forum, there are some really knowledgeable people there, or ask epeli or Tygrende directly for advice, as much as I dislike them they are some of the most knowledgeable players on the game.

Currently doing some basic idiot-sketching without firing up the game yet. The idea would be a decent but not superminmaxed TM/Shotgun guy, focusing on maximising new content over the whole game rather than how strong it is endgame. Maybe start with:

5 STR
5 DEX
7 AGI
6 CON
9 PER
3 WIL
5 INT

5 STR locked in for shotguns, 9 PER for Fragmented Chaos. 6 CON is suboptimal, but again I'm hoping to make it work without glass cannon or tin can. Afterwards, DEX seems the best one to pump for general utility? Actually, 7 AGI seems crucial for Hit & Run.

Would focus on shotgun-related feats: Sixth Shell, Leading Shot, Pellet Mayhem + Frag Chaos, Barrel Stare. Then choose from general utility (Expertise, Paranoia) as well as TM-related (Tranquility, etc).

Skills would focus on Guns, TM, crafting, with secondary investment in Throwing, Traps, Stealth.

All this is based on the baseless imagination that shotgun chars can, with TM aid, focus on mobility, running up and shooting people in the face for crits and debuffs, throwing nades and knives as needed.

Obviously, this is not a particularly sensible build, eschewing Dodge/Evasion or high CON, losing hacking/lockpicking, and just chasing Expeditions content. So still trying to massage it to a workable level.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
3 WIL 5 INT

A couple of Temporal-related feats (I don't really have a good sense of how TM works in practice yet).

The above don't mix well together.

Most hybrid builds are focused on PSI and secondary on some weapon class. You are doing the opposite.

I'm no expert but once you take the PSI pill then you need to primarily plan for some PSI specialization and secondary for a flavor weapon (pistol, SMG, melee, whatever).

Also Shotgun is a main specialization like AR, Sniper or Crossbow therefore I'm not sure you can build for two main specializations which don't complement themselves.

You can do Shotgun/Pistol, Shotgun/SMG, Shotgun/Melee, PSI/Shotgun but Shotgun/PSI is just asking for trouble.

From my perspective you basically created a gimped shotgun build for no reason: -25% less health for a close range build like shotgun!? No full potential Temporal abilities!?

I don't know. Otherwise the build looks solid if you drop the PSI part.

Tigranes

Arcane
Thanks!

I know very little about Temporal, but I thought that unlike original psi schools, it was supposed to not be so will dependent, and thus suitable as a support player. Is this incorrect?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Thanks!

I know very little about Temporal, but I thought that unlike original psi schools, it was supposed to not be so will dependent, and thus suitable as a support player. Is this incorrect?

In theory all PSI abilities should heavily depend on Will therefore ... I don't know.

From what I see:
Temporal Distortion - greatly depends on Will
Psycho-temporal Dilation - normal depends on Will
Limited Temporal Increment - doesn't depend on Will (Reduces all remaining cooldowns by 1 turn)
Entropic Recurrence - [URL='https://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Temporal_Distortion']greatly depends on Will[/URL]
Psycho-temporal Contraction - doesn't depend on Will (Increases target's action points by 15 and movement points by 30. Lasts 2 turns.)
Temporary Rewind - [URL='https://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Temporal_Distortion']greatly depends on Will[/URL]
Precognition - [URL='https://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Temporal_Distortion']greatly depends on Will[/URL]
Stasis - doesn't depend on Will (Places the target in stasis for 2 turns, making it immune to all damage and most disabling effects, but also preventing it from acting.)

You basically have 3 abilities with don't depend on Will against 5 abilities whose effectiveness depend on Will.

This is insane:
Adrenaline Shot + Psycho Contraction = 85 AP in the first turn of combat.
Adrenaline Shot + Blitz = 90 AP in the first turn of combat.
Adrenaline Shot + Blitz + Blitz Specialization = 96 AP in the first turn of combat.
Adrenaline Shot + Blitz + Psycho Contraction = 105 AP in the first turn of combat.
Adrenaline Shot + Blitz + Blitz Specialization + Psycho Contraction = 111 AP in the first turn of combat.

It looks like I was wrong: your build is solid. Sorry.

Sykar

Arcane
3 WIL 5 INT

A couple of Temporal-related feats (I don't really have a good sense of how TM works in practice yet).

The above don't mix well together.

Most hybrid builds are focused on PSI and secondary on some weapon class. You are doing the opposite.

I'm no expert but once you take the PSI pill then you need to primarily plan for some PSI specialization and secondary for a flavor weapon (pistol, SMG, melee, whatever).

Also Shotgun is a main specialization like AR, Sniper or Crossbow therefore I'm not sure you can build for two main specializations which don't complement themselves.

You can do Shotgun/Pistol, Shotgun/SMG, Shotgun/Melee, PSI/Shotgun but Shotgun/PSI is just asking for trouble.

From my perspective you basically created a gimped shotgun build for no reason: -25% less health for a close range build like shotgun!? No full potential Temporal abilities!?

I don't know. Otherwise the build looks solid if you drop the PSI part.

My Sniper does both parts pretty equally. Here is roughly what my PSI Sniper will look like probably, though atm I am busy with my cave wizard:
http://underrail.info.tm/build/?HgU...ADCoMKgAAAAAAArOQE_BSo1JCgUIR0CM0vCtcKKwrvfvw

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm having a rough time with Depot A atm following the Nerd Commando's Peltast build. The final section where you find the Dead Woman, where there are 3-4 Mutants and a bunch of Dogs seems almost impossible. There isn't enough room to manuever around because of where the map places you, and without stealth, it's almost impossible to properly place traps. I'm going to be grabbing Tabis, and I think I'll put in 14 points into Chemistry to get some Mutated Dog Armor to hopefully be able to resist their pools, but I don't know if this build is viable. Pope Amole II

Sykar

Arcane
I'm having a rough time with Depot A atm following the Nerd Commando's Peltast build. The final section where you find the Dead Woman, where there are 3-4 Mutants and a bunch of Dogs seems almost impossible. There isn't enough room to manuever around because of where the map places you, and without stealth, it's almost impossible to properly place traps. I'm going to be grabbing Tabis, and I think I'll put in 14 points into Chemistry to get some Mutated Dog Armor to hopefully be able to resist their pools, but I don't know if this build is viable. Pope Amole II

Sure Step would be a good idea then, if you can grab it. Seems like it would help you a lot there and you can use Caltrops nilly willy, might be a good supplement to your build.

Tigranes

Arcane
Thanks!

In theory all PSI abilities should heavily depend on Will therefore ... I don't know.

From what I see:
Temporal Distortion - greatly depends on Will
Psycho-temporal Dilation - normal depends on Will
Limited Temporal Increment - doesn't depend on Will (Reduces all remaining cooldowns by 1 turn)
Entropic Recurrence - greatly depends on Will
Psycho-temporal Contraction - doesn't depend on Will (Increases target's action points by 15 and movement points by 30. Lasts 2 turns.)
Temporary Rewind - greatly depends on Will
Precognition - greatly depends on Will
Stasis - doesn't depend on Will (Places the target in stasis for 2 turns, making it immune to all damage and most disabling effects, but also preventing it from acting.)

You basically have 3 abilities with don't depend on Will against 5 abilities whose effectiveness depend on Will.

This is insane:
Adrenaline Shot + Psycho Contraction = 85 AP in the first turn of combat.
Adrenaline Shot + Blitz = 90 AP in the first turn of combat.
Adrenaline Shot + Blitz + Blitz Specialization = 96 AP in the first turn of combat.
Adrenaline Shot + Blitz + Psycho Contraction = 105 AP in the first turn of combat.
Adrenaline Shot + Blitz + Blitz Specialization + Psycho Contraction = 111 AP in the first turn of combat.

It looks like I was wrong: your build is solid. Sorry.

You are a bro for checking all this out

:hero:

Yeah, I think the appeal is that whereas all my old Psi-hybrid builds required pumping Will and more or less making Psi primary, Temporal gives some options for truly having it as a secondary option - in this case to aid the shotgunner's mobility. Ideally he runs up to shoot people, gets crit procs from the shotgun skills, triggers hit and run with a short range burst kill and keeps moving, uses temporal to give himself extra legs or stop the enemies.

I'll try it out tomorrowish, learn, reroll if needed, the true underrail way+M

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Sure Step would be a good idea then, if you can grab it. Seems like it would help you a lot there and you can use Caltrops nilly willy, might be a good supplement to your build.
It definitely would have helped a ton. I managed to beat Depot A with a ton of traps (mines, caltrops, + hit & run), but I can't imagine this build scaling up with the rest of the game. I will be giving it a shot, and hopefully I'll be able to beat the Foundry and get some Infused Leathers, which will make things a lot easier. We shall see though.

Edit: Build is not viable. Not nearly enough damage.

Last edited:

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Have someone seen merchant with machete blueprint in game? Preferably early in game, because I afraid that machete given at start isn't gonna carry me whole game...

Last edited:

sebas

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Gun Nut so early is useless
You need Sprint
You need to max Guns every level
You really want Interloper to sneaky around

12 Dex is 20AP Steel Cat burst: 50AP+Blitz+Adrenaline = 4 bursts
16 Dex+2Dex veteran feat is 15 AP Steel Cat burst: 50AP+Adrenaline= 4 bursts
You're not gaining anything with blitz investment, I would drop Agi to 7 and max Dex for all the skill goodies it brings.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

axedice

Cipher
I want to try out a stealth/psi character for the expedition but not quite sure about the skill distribution. I'm thinking 4 PSI skills + stealth and electronics as main skills, is it overkill? I've played the game in easy mode before (AR Tank with nades) so I'm looking for a different playstyle favoring stealth. I guess I could take some points in biology and tailoring as well for OP crafts but how about persuasion/intimidate? Maybe traps even?

Goromorg

Savant
I want to try out a stealth/psi character for the expedition but not quite sure about the skill distribution. I'm thinking 4 PSI skills + stealth and electronics as main skills, is it overkill? I've played the game in easy mode before (AR Tank with nades) so I'm looking for a different playstyle favoring stealth. I guess I could take some points in biology and tailoring as well for OP crafts but how about persuasion/intimidate? Maybe traps even?

What build is the most complex and interesting?
Look no further: http://underrail.info.tm/build/?HgM...HChGJQZiR6wrfCiuKhhgTiorUC4quGBeKsgwLisLkC378

Parabalus

Arcane

What build is the most complex and interesting?
Look no further: http://underrail.info.tm/build/?HgM...HChGJQZiR6wrfCiuKhhgTiorUC4quGBeKsgwLisLkC378

I'm running a very similar build, but with 9 INT/CON, no traps, lower socials (equip swapping) and full quad PSI.

Extremely potent build you made, one of the strongest.

Goromorg

Savant
Guys, if you are new to the game - don't bother with crafting at low character levels, bump your other skills first.

Unwanted

Elephantman

Unwanted
Need tip for a weapon for a full psion.
For a situation when psi booster is in cooldown, I have just enough psi to stun the last/one enemy and use the remaining AP to do some dmg.
I was thinking serrated knife but I'd like as much frontloaded dmg as possible. Smg burst?

axedice

Cipher

I've tried a similar high con psi build before and it was fun, but this time I'd like to use mobility aka manual evasion with my stealth psi char, so I was thinking about 3con - 10 agi along with 10 will. Tranquility instead of psychosis etc. I've found this build : http://underrail.com/forums/index.php?topic=2162.msg12471#msg12471

Maybe take just 1 thieving skill (hacking or lockpicking?) , less crafting since you dont usually find godly craft pieces anyway, and dont go all out on all psi skills? So many possibilities it gives me an erection
:codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Did anybody else tested Pope Amole II 's build with machete and metal armor?
(Build: http://underrail.info.tm/build/?Hgg...oRSTCmcKOBsKMEktcwo0AMCvCh8KzQinip74K4rKIBd-_)
Because somehow I suffer even on oddity normal difficulty run, even metal armor barely helps and pack of rathounds can be real problem (and don't get me started on ranged enemies like azuridae). Robots also pain in ass. Traps help a bit, but not every situation can be solved with traps (and they are gay) and misses with machete make me furious. Perhaps I am stupid and doing something wrong (more likely it is), but I just want know for sure.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
It'll start getting good after critical power and time acceleration, it's a slow build with high potential.

Also, oddity kinda sucks right now as many of early mobs were overbuffed and you just don't progress fast enough vs them. It's much easier when you're able to grind some xps on classic.

Sykar

Arcane
It'll start getting good after critical power and time acceleration, it's a slow build with high potential.

Also, oddity kinda sucks right now as many of early mobs were overbuffed and you just don't progress fast enough vs them. It's much easier when you're able to grind some xps on classic.

Which mobs were buffed? I have been breezing through the game so far on my TM/PK/TC cave wizard now closing in on saving Buzzer and still no major problems.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom