Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Underlair - roguelike dungeon crawler with optional co-op

Ularis Badler

Arcane
Developer
Keep up the good work! Seriously, if you abandon this project like your last one we will find you

:mob:
LOL! I think the only reason why Underlair is currently the most developed project I have so far, it's because Unity is taking care of the hard work. I mean, I don't have to develop the engine nor creating the editor to operate it which was always the pitfall for my previous projects.
Since 2005, I've never stopped developing games and I even have about 5 board games on the shelf, including an Underlair board game in the works, which I develop when I want to take a small break from coding. So yeah, willpower and love for the hobby are my real strengths here.

Last edited:

Ularis Badler

Arcane
Developer
And here it is guys. The final class set: The Scholar.
This class set is all about knowledge and utility.

Classes_Scholar.png

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I just put all of them into one post for full viewing appreciation. Overall, this is some really well done stuff to start with. I'm seriously wondering at the combinations, etc. we can get, and I'm hoping for Wizardry 8 level of party building and development. At the least anyway. Good luck and keep it up!

Classes_Warrior.png

Classes_Rogue.png

Classes_Psycaster.png

Classes_Scholar.png

Ularis Badler

Arcane
Developer
Shit this is pretty interesting.

Thanks! I'm very curious to see what kind of parties players will come up with.

I will tell you in advance.
Four mages.

Let's see on it turns out Whisperer! I'll role-play a bit considering the mechanics that are planned:
I think you mean 6 psycasters (mages I guess). If that is the case, I anticipate you will blast foes very quickly in the first battles until you run out of psycrum, in which case you will become a punching bag with poor efficiency to defend yourself. You could however always camp after a battle but that consumes supplies and being all psycasters, you won't be able to carry that many supply units. So, you would probably need to constantly revisit a settlement for resupplying. This would heavily limit your exploration range and sooner or later you would be jumped by enemies while tired, ergo defenseless.

Last edited:

Ularis Badler

Arcane
Developer
I just put all of them into one post for full viewing appreciation. Overall, this is some really well done stuff to start with. I'm seriously wondering at the combinations, etc. we can get, and I'm hoping for Wizardry 8 level of party building and development. At the least anyway. Good luck and keep it up!

Oh, thanks for putting them together for me. :)

Considering the class combinations, I'm quite eager to see how it will turn out. Some balance will be required for sure, but the fact you can unlock all 5 classes in a base class, provides an interesting set of choices. Moreover, depending on the order you unlock them will have a strong impact on the resulting character build as well.

Last edited:

Ularis Badler

Arcane
Developer
Any updates to this thus far?

Some interesting events have taken place. I've quit my job and now I'm a full-time game developer with the blessing of my wife. This is something I've always wanted to do and I think it is now or never; I can't risk delaying it any longer. The bad news is that I'm currently working on a small scope project to fully explore the concept of game development and see if I can make a living out of it, and to finally finance Underlair. While I'm still working on Underlair, it has been purely on the text side of it by adding encyclopedia entries on its blogger, which still provide important structuring for it, mind you. The best way to stay up to date with the project is by checking out Underlair's website.

If all goes according to plan, in 2 months I release my first game - a retro-looking, turn-based, strategy game. I'll post more about it sometime in the future as I still have many aspects of it to develop. I'm giving all I have, working on average 12-14 hours a day. If I fail, at least I know I did my best.

Thanks for the interest. Stay safe!

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
If anything, randomization is quite underwhelming but your classes seems pretty interesting, if the character creation and development is well thought, i could forget some randomization since it's also TB and party-based.

The quests, though, as already pointed out, deserve some handcrafting, just play Exiled kingdoms, which has both, random quests are fine at first to grind a bit of reputation since you're going to explore anyway and don't require much effort but that's the masterfully handcrafted quests that makes you stick with the game (the combat is nothing special though but it seems the dev is fixing it with his new game, first person exploration + grid tactical TB combat)

Ularis Badler

Arcane
Developer
If anything, randomization is quite underwhelming but your classes seems pretty interesting, if the character creation and development is well thought, i could forget some randomization since it's also TB and party-based.

The quests, though, as already pointed out, deserve some handcrafting, just play Exiled kingdoms, which has both, random quests are fine at first to grind a bit of reputation since you're going to explore anyway and don't require much effort but that's the masterfully handcrafted quests that makes you stick with the game (the combat is nothing special though but it seems the dev is fixing it with his new game, first person exploration + grid tactical TB combat)

Thanks for your insight. There are many aspects I still need to consider. But keep in mind that this game focus on combat and strategy and exploration. Nonetheless, the storyline's main plot is laid down but there is still a ton of pending decisions on my side regarding it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://underlair.blogspot.com/2021/10/development-halted.html

Development Halted

Hello everyone, It's been a while since my last post. Underlair's development is now fully halted as I work exhaustly on Archrebel. If all goes according to plan, I will return with proper funding through a publisher that recently reached out to me; it all depends now on the success of Archrebel and this is why I'm putting all my attention on it.

I'll post again as soon as I have news.

Stay safe!

Rafidur

Learned
So in 2013 you start
http://kharmasoul.blogspot.com
A roguelike with a yuge feature list, drop it later.

Then in 2017 start
https://rebel-crusader.blogspot.com
A remake in rl style.
Also lol:
"I don't know when RC's development will resume since I'm truly focused in Kharma Soul for the time being, a massive Roguelike being developed by me my bud Ki. We are committed developing a game set in an unique world offering a deep story, races and lore. I will reveal further details when we have most of the features settled down."
and
"Rebel Crusader's development unfolds in my spare time and everything is being done by myself and I tend to sacrifice my personal life with friends and family when working on it. This means its development rate is rather inconsistent but I do plan to eventually finish it, knowing it currently stands as one of my life's goals."

Now, its datetime.current_year and a new life goal is Underlair, now in Unity!

See you in... 2013 2017 2021 2025!

Second post of the thread. Welp.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom