Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ULTIMA IV IS FUCKING UNPLAYABLE!!!

Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands
Elzair said:
I hate to say this, but I wonder what the racial composition of his classroom is looking like?

retard-receiving-certificate-congratulations-youre-retarded.jpg

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
So they are playing an incomplete pirated game and they find it unplayable? How surprising.

Begriffenfeldt

Educated
Why are these people playing video games in school?

And why is the Codex so surprised that people playing video games in school are dumb consolekids?

Wang Lo said:
Come on now, when I was a teen the early ultimas were pretty unapproachable. Ultima IV is also about the most overrated game ever, aside from fallout. Going back I am pretty sure I beat 1-3 later but I have never completed U IV. Much like there is no focus on combat in arcanum according to some people, the reality is in U 4 there is a a whole lot of wandering around and fighting with an interface that is nowhere near as good as later ultimas, without much clue at first wtf you are even doing or why.
Let's play: Drog alt bingo!

Arcanum mentioned derisively - check
Fallout mentioned derisively - check
Edgy anti codex attitude - check

You are winner!

MisterStone

Arcane
I can't believe someone was offered a chance to play Ultima IV as a homework assignment, and they FAILED. This is like a beyond the pale dream scenario from when I was a child. Being asked to play U4 and get a grade for describing it.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE!?!?!

CrimHead

Scholar
Their age has nothing to do with it (I'm 19 years old and I love the Ultimas), they're just a bunch of faggots weaned on the rancid teat of decline.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
herostratus said:
Wang Lo said:
Come on now, when I was a teen the early ultimas were pretty unapproachable. Ultima IV is also about the most overrated game ever, aside from fallout. Going back I am pretty sure I beat 1-3 later but I have never completed U IV. Much like there is no focus on combat in arcanum according to some people, the reality is in U 4 there is a a whole lot of wandering around and fighting with an interface that is nowhere near as good as later ultimas, without much clue at first wtf you are even doing or why.

You are winner!

Doesn't your list sum up most of the human population that knows what the codex is?

bhlaab

Erudite
I could figure out Ultima 4 if I tried really hard, but I'm not willing to try really hard.

Redeye

Arcane
deuxhero said:
(Are there even any ladder/stairs/ect that go both up and down in the game? Why do you need two buttons for that.)

Some ladders go down multiple levels. If you are using a ladder that goes both up and down, you need to specify.

A generic "use" button for things that have only one use would have been wonderful.

kmonster

Augur
The result was predictable

It does make a difference whether you have a printed manual or some pdfs with unimportant looking names. The students were supposed to make as much progress as possible during the few hours they had to spare during the next 5 days.

Ultima IV is famous for the revolutionary concept, from today`s perspective "play according the stereotype or you get punished hard by not being able to finish the game" is not really something for true roleplaying, not very fun either.

Even at the days when Ultima IV was released players prefered having fun over working and only a few nerds wasted time for it, today there are so many cheap good games available that it's not surprising that they prefer fun over working their games hundreds of hours.

It's a sign of wisdom, today time is too valuable for wasting it for such a bad game.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I blame the old crappy UI's, to be honest. The kind where you have to have the game manual open at all times to check what is spell #4 is and does or if the Scimitar you found is an upgrade over your old Long Sword because it isn't explained in game. I tried going back to M&M1 and 2 today, but grew bored with them pretty fast due to the shitty UI. I love old graphics for some reason though. They were as fun now as they were back then.

Cassidy

Arcane
I didn't enjoy any CRPG I tried that was older than Betrayal at Krondor and I didn't enjoy any game I tried that was newer than Risen.

Elzair

Cipher
Re: The result was predictable

kmonster said:
It does make a difference whether you have a printed manual or some pdfs with unimportant looking names. The students were supposed to make as much progress as possible during the few hours they had to spare during the next 5 days.

Ultima IV is famous for the revolutionary concept, from today`s perspective "play according the stereotype or you get punished hard by not being able to finish the game" is not really something for true roleplaying, not very fun either.

Even at the days when Ultima IV was released players prefered having fun over working and only a few nerds wasted time for it, today there are so many cheap good games available that it's not surprising that they prefer fun over working their games hundreds of hours.

It's a sign of wisdom, today time is too valuable for wasting it for such a bad game.

Okay, whose troll alt is this?

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
job

name

Fucking shit game, avoid. No one in their right minds would play this shit now. Seriously you think this shit is stimulating, it's about as stimulating as my fist in your fake vagina. This shit is bad and you should feel ashamed.

Soon your kind will be dead and all that shit nostlagia will be forgotten. Who the fuck would be playing this in 20 years hell if I know, but this isn't art and this isn't timeless, this is shit. The only validity of this game is as a stepstone in game design that has been transcended by now.

How does that make you feel.

400px-Trollface.jpg

Wang Lo

Novice
herostratus said:
Wang Lo said:

You are winner!

First off not everyone has any interest in RPGs or ever will. You can't expect to bring a bunch of fly fishing gear into a classroom and have a bunch of inner city kids become avid fishermen in two hours.

So some kids did not get into ultima IV within two hours and people are surprised? It took me much longer than that to get into any rpgs but it is specialized hobby that will never appeal to average person anyway. Next up we get surprised when some teenagers don't get into zork after 5 minutes. The only thing that made ultima IV special was it's not about a boss fight at the end of game. Even ultima III was considered groundbreaking because you don't have to kill exodus at the end. So really it's pretty much bullshit all around.

If anything ultima IV spawned the storyfag choice and consequences nonsense. So we get assfuck nonsense games like TWitcher and people eating it up because of a thin skin of choice and consequences. Never mind the actual gameplay is shit and a lot of it makes no sense due to weird translation or something. It got heart! It got soul! It sing the blues!

:lol:

Silellak

Cipher
So now Ultima IV is a C&C-based game for storyfags?
:retarded:

If you're going to blame the Ultima series for anything, blame it for Bethesda's hiking simulators.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
teacherfag said:
I had supplied them with the Book of Mystic Wisdom and the History of Britannia, both in PDF form, but not a single student bothered to read them.

I have to defend the kids here.

PDF manuals are horrible and I wouldn't have read them either.

I don't think I've ever read a PDF manual actually, at most I'd skim it looking for something.

Whereas with paper manuals I pretty much always read them cover to cover and certain of them (Dom 3) I read like 10 plus times.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom