Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultima 8 was always destined to suck as "Super Avatar Bros" was INTENTIONAL from the start by Richard Garriott himself!

Eli_Havelock

Learned
In digging for other things I discovered this interview with Mike McShaffry that is perhaps the first outright confirmation of what people knew but it wasn't believed because of "Blame EA!"

"Again, it was…definitely Richard that wanted to do that, and he was inspired by Prince of Persia." - Mike McShaffry

Those who knew already knew, but to the laity outside of the inner circles there's the old blame of Ultima 8 laid bare. EA was blamed for all sorts of things with the changes to Ultima from the much-beloved Ultima VII: SI one of them. Suddenly, there were jumping puzzles and action gameplay in our ethical open-world! (Then the ethics were absolutely discarded for some narcissism dialed to 11 with Shroud of the Avatar.) The hints at the fuckery with Elizabeth and Abraham and the blackrock symbols let the Guardian in!

"WHY, EA, WHY?!" - was the common lament. Turns out, it was never EA, it was the head dude getting bored and wandering off for other people to take up the reigns while he still pretended to reign. And those people still put in the jump puzzles!

The whole adding things from other things is probably why overall the Ultimas feel so disjointed in narrative. I personally think Ultima works best in the "Headless Order" to copy the Machete Order of the Star Wars trilogies - you go from the mismatched clothes taken from other people's wardrobes starting at the boots, moving upwards and upwards with the depth of IV's writing and exploration taking on a whole new level, then getting rather stronger and stronger until VI - and then it's off at the shoulders and dumping the rest. A bunch of people from other worlds discover the wild of Sosaria, reshape it into Britannia, discover morals and betterment, then reflection upon those morals with the views of those considered an enemy at a time, and ends on a high note. After that elegance, VII onwards is just... kinda meh. People were more enamored with the UI and the Real-Time combat, and then SI's paperdoll (something seen parallel in Might & Magic). And worlds besides Britannia, indeed - those were sadly mis-marketed and could have expanded more, as the Western RPG makers were firmly convinced RPGs were dead when they discovered the Japanese developers eating their lunches (and would amusingly continue several Western series and styles of development for many years).

The "World's Greatest Game Designer" added jumping puzzles to one of the world's most beloved computer role-playing games simply because he played a different genre and really liked it.
(It makes Richard's fuss around the Deathlord Debacle all that much more funny.)

Well, almost as funny as having "Origin" Google-bombed into being commonly known as EA's download client as tit-for-tat for all the brand hits, other dev studios, and millions of dollars blown EA had to cover for with Lord Brexit's cashing out and bailing act having an effect upon any publisher who treated him like a golden goose to exception of others. Then the white elephant started sucking out that ecosystem until there's no money left. Then he found direct access to the fans who had shrines of him in their homes.

And now you know... the rest of the story of why Shroud of the Avatar actually advertises jumping puzzles.

Super Avatar Bros was never EA - EA only kept it mercifully short.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Small reminder that Richard Garriott put jumping puzzles and timed sections in his MMO, Shroud of the Avatar. That dude stopped giving a shit after Ultima 5.

ShaggyMoose

Savant
It was the head dude getting bored and wandering off for other people to take up the reigns while he still pretended to reign.
This sentence momentarily gave me a blinding headache. Reins!

U8 wasn't a great Ultima game and parts of it weren't even a great game (as noted), but at least the world and magic were interesting and the fiddly jumping bullshit got more or less patched out before I played it.

And Ultima 9 was based on Ocarina of Time, by the main team's admission. They had to catch up with the times, back then people were way less resistant to outdated stuff than what they are today.

grimace

Arcane
In digging for other things I discovered this interview with Mike McShaffry that is perhaps the first outright confirmation of what people knew but it wasn't believed because of "Blame EA!"

"Again, it was…definitely Richard that wanted to do that, and he was inspired by Prince of Persia." - Mike McShaffry

Those who knew already knew, but to the laity outside of the inner circles there's the old blame of Ultima 8 laid bare. EA was blamed for all sorts of things with the changes to Ultima from the much-beloved Ultima VII: SI one of them. Suddenly, there were jumping puzzles and action gameplay in our ethical open-world! (Then the ethics were absolutely discarded for some narcissism dialed to 11 with Shroud of the Avatar.) The hints at the fuckery with Elizabeth and Abraham and the blackrock symbols let the Guardian in!

"WHY, EA, WHY?!" - was the common lament. Turns out, it was never EA, it was the head dude getting bored and wandering off for other people to take up the reigns while he still pretended to reign. And those people still put in the jump puzzles!

The whole adding things from other things is probably why overall the Ultimas feel so disjointed in narrative. I personally think Ultima works best in the "Headless Order" to copy the Machete Order of the Star Wars trilogies - you go from the mismatched clothes taken from other people's wardrobes starting at the boots, moving upwards and upwards with the depth of IV's writing and exploration taking on a whole new level, then getting rather stronger and stronger until VI - and then it's off at the shoulders and dumping the rest. A bunch of people from other worlds discover the wild of Sosaria, reshape it into Britannia, discover morals and betterment, then reflection upon those morals with the views of those considered an enemy at a time, and ends on a high note. After that elegance, VII onwards is just... kinda meh. People were more enamored with the UI and the Real-Time combat, and then SI's paperdoll (something seen parallel in Might & Magic). And worlds besides Britannia, indeed - those were sadly mis-marketed and could have expanded more, as the Western RPG makers were firmly convinced RPGs were dead when they discovered the Japanese developers eating their lunches (and would amusingly continue several Western series and styles of development for many years).

The "World's Greatest Game Designer" added jumping puzzles to one of the world's most beloved computer role-playing games simply because he played a different genre and really liked it.
(It makes Richard's fuss around the Deathlord Debacle all that much more funny.)

Well, almost as funny as having "Origin" Google-bombed into being commonly known as EA's download client as tit-for-tat for all the brand hits, other dev studios, and millions of dollars blown EA had to cover for with Lord Brexit's cashing out and bailing act having an effect upon any publisher who treated him like a golden goose to exception of others. Then the white elephant started sucking out that ecosystem until there's no money left. Then he found direct access to the fans who had shrines of him in their homes.

And now you know... the rest of the story of why Shroud of the Avatar actually advertises jumping puzzles.

Super Avatar Bros was never EA - EA only kept it mercifully short.

In the first playable releases of SotA the ability to swim in water was a major milestone.

Probably because World of Warcraft had swimming.

Skdursh

Savant
Ultima 8 is a competent game and hating on it is a sign of NPC "I agree with the stuff those other guys said. What did they say? Well I don't actually know... but I know I agree with it." brain. The platforming is shit, but that's about it. It's not a perfect game by any means, but there is a lot there to love and its main problem is not the actual game, but being called an "Ultima" game because the fanboys get in a twist about mUh ViRTuEs.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Garriott proves he's a hack, yet again. Ultima 8 had exactly two things going for it, the aesthetic, and the soundtrack.

the depth of IV's writing and exploration taking on a whole new level

Eh, come again?
More than depth, Ultima IV was one of the first games where the game world was trying to be something else than killing everything in sight. But they are not deep games, they couldn't be either. Still, it's kinda interesting to see how little it has been added on top of the core rpg experience Ultima IV had IMO.

Ladonna

Arcane
Ultima V was the pinnacle of Ultima. Everything after this was just updated graphics mixed in with either downgrading or getting rid of mechanics (unless you enjoy baking bread, jumping or something). I enjoyed Ultima VI and the World spinoffs, but I was already thinking it wasn't an overall improvement, and some things were degrading. Ultima VII et al was fun, but many of the mechanics in the game had become downright atrocious, and the rest of the franchise speaks for itself.

Lord Brexit should never have been allowed to progress past an Apple II computer.

Sjukob

Arcane
Ultima 8 had exactly two things going for it
7221ab_675905144986c6211a0c2b5bc.png

mondblut

Arcane
Garriott proves he's a hack, yet again. Ultima 8 had exactly two things going for it, the aesthetic, and the soundtrack.

Magic was cool, too.

I almost added magic to the list, but really, how often do you get to use most of it?

I never said it was practical. As far as practicality goes, nothing beats spamming fireballs and chugging mana potions to reload. But cool it is not.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Ultima 8 is a competent game and hating on it is a sign of NPC "I agree with the stuff those other guys said. What did they say? Well I don't actually know... but I know I agree with it." brain. The platforming is shit, but that's about it. It's not a perfect game by any means, but there is a lot there to love and its main problem is not the actual game, but being called an "Ultima" game because the fanboys get in a twist about mUh ViRTuEs.
Haven't read such an idiotic post in quite awhile.
Let's see:
- unresponsive, sluggish controls
- stats may work besides increasing HP/Mana/CW or not
- stats are also maxed out in the first 30 mins of the game. STR/DEX hit air or Devon, INT cast spells
- insane jumping parcours, which were almost impossible to beat in patch 0 version (note that saving took forever)
- combat / encounter variety / enemy design all took a hit in favour of aformentioned arcade
- gutted story
- monotonous world design , as there is green, grey and blue and red bombshrooms
- convoluted magic system made extra difficult by the new controls
- spells may work or not (are there saves?)
- one combat animation - overhead bash - combat in general is just a clickfest
- uninteresting loot
- why does everything explode

- probably missing many more points

U8 may be alot of things, but it is NOT a competently designed game

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom