Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

UFO: Extraterrestrials TB game

Deacdo

Liturgist
LlamaGod said:
Why? The best squad based turn-based games don't use it

l X-Com, Silent Storm and Jagged Alliance use it
No they don't. The tactical screen is completely laid bare. The only things that are hidden are units (and maybe mounted weapons in S2).

"When the transport carrier lands, the player discovers that the whole area is blacked out."

I don't know what versions of S2 or JA2 you've been playing, but I never saw that.[/b]

Dhruin

Liturgist
I think he means that literally but his English was pretty awful so I had to tidy some of it up. That wording is unchanged, though.

Crazy_Vasey

Novice
Deacdo said:
LlamaGod said:
Why? The best squad based turn-based games don't use it

l X-Com, Silent Storm and Jagged Alliance use it
No they don't. The tactical screen is completely laid bare. The only things that are hidden are units (and maybe mounted weapons in S2).

"When the transport carrier lands, the player discovers that the whole area is blacked out."

I don't know what versions of S2 or JA2 you've been playing, but I never saw that.[/b]

Don't know about the others but X-COM bloody well does have fog of war.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Uh, guys, that IS fog-of-war, that enemies are hidden until you find them. Having everything blacked out when you start doesn't qualify as fog-of-war, it's just unexplored terrain. The whole idea behind calling it "fog-of-war" is that you can't always tell what is going on, on the battlefield, not that you haven't scouted the terrain.

sheek

Arbiter
Codexers better buy this, the milkshake crowd definitely isn't going to be in a rush to play.

sheek

Arbiter
I've got access to a reduced quality streaming version of the video. If anybody wants to see it PM me for the password.

vazquez595654

Arbiter
I am only interested if they actually improve upon X-Com. Chances are they won't, so chances are I won't be playing this game.

Seboss

Liturgist
Crap. I even did a search before posting. How stupid is that?

Lock time :p

Section8

Cipher
I don't really get the point of rehashing a game so closely, but I guess if if gives the kiddies of today a chance to experience the classic gameplay of X-Com, maybe they'll learn to expect more out of games in general.

Fez

Erudite
It probably won't be any worse a rehash than Terror from the Deep was.

dagorkan

Arbiter
Section8 said:
I don't really get the point of rehashing a game so closely, but I guess if if gives the kiddies of today a chance to experience the classic gameplay of X-Com, maybe they'll learn to expect more out of games in general.

Also that I'll be able to play X-Com without using Dos-Box. And in more than 320x240 resolution... I'm buying it for that, also support the developer and to make a stand against the RT fascism of Cenega.

But I agree they should have added some features, after more than ten years there's plenty of room for improvement. As long as it's done thoughtfully I don't see how it could detract from the original gameplay.

Quigs

Magister
Im *Definitely* getting this game, just a little sad by the lack of caring shown by the creators.

Like, the fire looks of absolute ass. It honestly looks worse then baldurs gate's magic.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Section8 said:

I would have loved it the third one was closer to ufo and x-com. And check out the site, this is like super x-com^412. 412 is a lot to be the power of. Its close to ufo/x-com because ufo/x-com was great. But this really adds a whole lot more. No one can say Alter's UFO's haven't added more, but anyone itching for a game closer to x-com with the other improvements (minus the graphics) of Alter's game now gets wish fuilfilled.

I 100% get why they'd make it so close to nthe originals, I've wanted this game since I bought the third game (ufo whatever its called, the rt one).

Deacdo

Liturgist
There are a lot of basic elements/features missing that makes me doubt the title. No throwing animation, no reaction when a character/enemy is hit, no status indicator etc.

Jim Kata

Arbiter
I had been iffy on this game and the explosions and fire could be better, but I fiound I really became gripped while watching, which has never happened while watching a demo video like this before.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom