Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

UFO: Extraterrestrials Shot Down by Gamespot

Jason

chasing a bee
<strong>[ Review ]</strong>

<p>Brett Todd has some harsh things to say about <a href="http://www.ufo-extraterrestrials.com/" target="_blank">UFO: Extraterrestrials</a> in his 5.2/10 <a href="http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/ufoextraterrestrials/review.html?sid=6170517" target="_blank">Gamespot review</a>.</p><blockquote><p>Still, missions are more annoying than anything else. Too many aspects of the tactical engine are skewed against you or simply don't work well. The pace is really slow, even for a turn-based game. Some sort of hybrid system where you move in real time when not engaged in combat is needed to speed up the tedious map exploration. Animations are also slow and jittery, so you spend more time watching troops stutter or aliens slither. Aliens can see farther than your grunts, so you regularly take fire from the blackness. Peripheral vision is equally awful. An alien might just be a smidgen outside of your direct line of sight, but you won't see it. Shooting distances are wonky. In the early stages, before you can level up troops, increase their shooting skills, and provide them with high-tech guns (the initial equipment loadout is pathetic, aside from jeep-tank hybrid vehicles), you have to get within a couple of squares of an alien to have a better than 50 percent chance of hitting it. This leads to Police Squad-style shootouts where you're blasting away at each other across a few feet but still missing a good deal of the time (sometimes by laughable distances), or even worse, accidentally shooting each other or tossing a grenade into your own lap. </p></blockquote><p>He goes on to complain about the limited maps, troop management, and stability, but still considers the game "mildly compelling" due to the solid challenge and X-Com look and feel.
</p>

Yeesh

Magister
Take that, UFO!

Reading the review, I did wonder how many of Brett's complaints could have been leveled at the original game. I think quite a few. On the one hand, is it fair to fault a game for copying the bad parts of a game it's intentionally ripping off? On the other hand, is it so much to ask that a re-make umpteen years later have at least evolved a little bit?

I'm interested inreading more reviews about this one.

Morningkill

Novice
Yeesh said:
I'm interested inreading more reviews about this one.
I m not sure about this review, some parts are just plain wrong (cash management is not as easy as told, the game is very stable for me, on two different computers, it crashed only once, and i'm not sure it's his fault :), and i'm farily sure the maps ARE random )

But the saving grace of this game is that it is extremely moddable.
- making map exploration faster is easy : just modify two constants to make your soldier see farther, and on a greater angle.
- UFO-like visibility, with night/day differences
http://www.ufo-extraterrestrials.com/fo ... php?t=1759
- adding a kneel button (and soon AP points reserve for shooting)
http://www.ufo-extraterrestrials.com/fo ... php?t=1678
- combat information, exposing the rule engines information
http://www.ufo-extraterrestrials.com/fo ... php?t=1749
- general ease of use mod, with its own configuration window in the game
(faster movements, kill counters, bugfixes and balance change)
http://www.ufo-extraterrestrials.com/fo ... php?t=1691
- ufo-style soldier management : soldier can now die, you can buy soldiers, and more stuff (two handed weapons, experience gains modified...)
http://www.ufo-extraterrestrials.com/fo ... php?t=1656

The game has been out for two weeks, and the community have already made a lot of things

I'm not currently impressed by the AI, but I believe that people will improve on that soon. It's not going to be easy, but seeing the already done mods, i'm hopeful.

And if I had more times (damn kids), I will at last begin my own UFO clone based on this game.

dagorkan

Arbiter
The AI is quite good. Better than the average game anyway.

Review is pretty accurate in what it says. Found it funny the guy complains about 'slow' TB. Yes the animations are slow, but then he proposes to have real-time for exploring the map changing into turn-based as soon as a threat materializes. The guy is a fucking moron. But otherwise the points he makes are sound.

Also you can't count patches and mods in reviewing a game. Sure the changes make it much better - which makes me wonder why the devs couldn't implement them. I really like this game with the mods (but I advise waiting until there's a stable compilation of them) but Chaos Concepts obviously messed up.

obediah

Erudite
dagorkan said:
Review is pretty accurate in what it says. Found it funny the guy complains about 'slow' TB. Yes the animations are slow, but then he proposes to have real-time for exploring the map changing into turn-based as soon as a threat materializes. The guy is a fucking moron. But otherwise the points he makes are sound.

I have a feeling that I'll have a simliar experience to the reviewer. The only reason I don't play X-COM much more often is because the battles take so long. I love 'em to pieces, but my days of frequent 8 hours gaming sessions are long gone.

Did you play SS? It worked as this fucking moron reviewer suggests, and while not perfect, it allowed for larger maps without taking hours to get across them.

dagorkan

Arbiter
No I didn't play Silent Storm. Even if real-time to turn-based switchovers are technically possible (ie that neither you or the aliens gain any unfair advantage from it) still I still wouldn't like it...

Think the reason XCom is popular is that it is hard-core and every minor action requires a tactical decision. You have to count every soldier's Time Units, you have to make sure every angle is covered. You have to concentrate all the time because anything could happen. Taking out that tension, letting the player run around half-assedly until an alien shows up, you have a game but you don't have XCom any more.

I agree that you sometimes get long periods which are boring because nothing happens. Which happened more often in XCom2 than in XCom1... I think devs can and should try to minimize the amount of boring gameplay in other ways: by tweaking aliens' AI and making the maps smaller but more tactically interesting etc.

They should also reduce the number of tactical missions you need to go through to advance in the game. I thought XCom1 got the balance right. In UFO:ET I've gone through 40 crash landing missions in five months, skipping more than half of them and I'm still at the laser tech stage... that's simply too much work for the reward. I wouldn't mind working hard if the combat itself is interesting, but at this stage of the game I'm going against always the same three enemy races, with almost the same troops and on maps that have begun to repeat.

If I get five 'excellent' rated missions in a row, I want the game to take it into account. I want some new tech or some other a long-term advantage for my effort. Taking out a large alien base should not just provide me with money (which is what I get in ET).

Fundamentally though, you need time to play the game properly. XCom is never going to be a casual kinda game.

Yeesh

Magister
Hey, Jagged Alliance II is the game that got big maps, realtime-until-trouble, and TB tactical combat just right first. SS was a whole lot of fun, but I found the battlemaps to be small, and the weapon ranges (as a result?) were so shortened... you needed a rifle to shoot somebody across the street.

Morningkill

Novice
dagorkan said:
against always the same three enemy races, with almost the same troops and on maps that have begun to repeat.
Did you interrogate some vipon commanders ? (terror/cruiser mission)

Maybe Chaos concepts messed up the game, but it's so moddable that it's not a big problem. Maybe that should not be counted in for review, as you said (but in fact, I think you're wrong), but hey, I'm not reviewing it, I'm playing it, dude..... The game was pleasant without mods, it's very good with them, and it's only the beginning.

As for the soudness of his points, i disagree on most of them, either because there are not important (graphics and sounds are far sufficient for this kind of game), they're inherent to the genre (turn based), or there are just plain wrong (money is not a problem ?)

As for why the devs could not do the various mods, I think it's a problem of a too closed development, not enough fresh betatesters maybe.

And I don't find the game too time consuming (especially with the modded faster animations)

dagorkan

Arbiter
How far into the game are you? Are you using mods?

I've done four base attack missions, reloaded one of them once and never found a Vipon. Done a bunch of cruiser missions too and didn't see a Vipon commander.

Morningkill

Novice
dagorkan said:
How far into the game are you? Are you using mods?

I've done four base attack missions, reloaded one of them once and never found a Vipon. Done a bunch of cruiser missions too and didn't see a Vipon commander.

I'm currently at ion weapons, three new ETs. The only mod I'm using is the Ease Of Use one, which is not doing anything to the game flow.

I'm not sure there are commander in base attack (you base or ET bases)

But if you do a cruiser missions with vipons, they always come with a commander (he's a green vipon).
You need to interrogate one or two to get access to plasma weapons, and i think to start the next stage you need to research all plasma weaponry.
It seems that "story" advancement is linked to research. And that live vipon commanders are very important.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom