Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Ubisoft Shanghai is making AAA open world Might & Magic game

jungl

Augur
I mean its possible to make a first person blobber with parkour elements and with a beautiful world we see in triple AAA open world games like ass creed. But will we see modern take on might and magic 6-8 or legacy real time or turnbased gameplay? Hell no.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The best case scenario, we will have a open world Dark Messiah with more RPG on it. The chances of a proper M&M sequel are zero. The worst and most likely case a mobile lootbox based low lethality gear farming cooldown managing.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
It's just going to be their clone of Skyrim or whatever, official Codex policy should be to ignore it and move discussion of it to General Gaming

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
This is only true because most dozens-of-hours long open world RPGs have shit-tier combat, and DMoMM combat isn't shit enough.

DM combat itself becomes rote and uninteresting in the last area once you're powerful enough to kill things without relying on all the hand-placed environmental tricks.

Why wouldn't it?

See above. The combat is focused on springing traps and knocking people into spikes and off ledges. Perfectly fine for a dozen or so hours of hand-crafted levels, doesn't scale well beyond that.

Cross

Arcane
The combat is focused on springing traps and knocking people into spikes and off ledges. Perfectly fine for a dozen or so hours of hand-crafted levels, doesn't scale well beyond that.
Sure, the game obviously encourages you to use environmental hazards, but the mechanics for melee, archery, stealth and magic are still far better designed and more enjoyable than something like Skyrim. You don't even have to kick anyone since swinging your weapon in the right way can produce the same knockback effect.

There's no reason why you couldn't implement those mechanics in a longer game. In fact, Dark Messiah was initially designed as a sequel to Arx Fatalis, and Arkane presumably would have made it a longer game if Ubisoft had allowed them to.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Sure, the game obviously encourages you to use environmental hazards, but the mechanics for melee, archery, stealth and magic are still far better designed and more enjoyable than something like Skyrim. You don't even have to kick anyone since swinging your weapon in the right way can produce the same knockback effect.

There's no reason why you couldn't implement those mechanics in a longer game. In fact, Dark Messiah was initially designed as a sequel to Arx Fatalis, and Arkane presumably would have made it a longer game if Ubisoft had allowed them to.

Skyrim has held the interest of millions of players for dozens of hours. As I mentioned, Dark Messiah already overstays its welcome a bit after only about a dozen or so hours. If it had been a longer game, it would have been worse.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
You're talking bullshit and making a "millions of flies" argument to boot, good job.
Let's ignore the hundreds of vague failed attempts at modding Skyrim combat into some semblance of fun.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You're talking bullshit and making a "millions of flies" argument to boot, good job.
Let's ignore the hundreds of vague failed attempts at modding Skyrim combat into some semblance of fun.
Skyrim:
56.2 hours median total playtime
101.9 hours average total playtime

More recent special edition Skyrim:
20.2 hours median total playtime
64.1 hours average total playtime

Dark Messiah:
3.2 hours median total playtime
5.3 hours average total playtime

Sure, DM is a significantly shorter game, but half its playerbase can't even be bothered to finish it or even play past the beginning. :M

Blutwurstritter

Learned
Skyrim:
56.2 hours median total playtime
101.9 hours average total playtime

More recent special edition Skyrim:
20.2 hours median total playtime
64.1 hours average total playtime

Dark Messiah:
3.2 hours median total playtime
5.3 hours average total playtime

Sure, DM is a significantly shorter game, but half its playerbase can't even be bothered to finish it or even play past the beginning. :M
Your numbers tell us nothing about the reasons. Your claim that combat is the cause is just conjecture.

Speaking for myself, I would love a game with Dark Messiahs combat on a larger scheme. I haven't played any other first person melee game that was as satisfying as DM. Its not perfect but leagues ahead of Morrowind's combat.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Your numbers tell us nothing about the reasons. Your claim that combat is the cause is just conjecture.
Reasonably certain whether or not someone is enjoying the gameplay is the reason for why they continue playing or not playing a game. DM combat does not have mass appeal, which is why it's a cult hit and Skyrim is a megahit.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
Reasonably certain whether or not someone is enjoying the gameplay is the reason for why they continue playing or not playing a game. DM combat does not have mass appeal, which is why it's a cult hit and Skyrim is a megahit.
Gameplay is more than combat. I find it hard to believe that Skyrims popularity is specifically due to its combat and vice versa Dark Messiahs low popularity specifically due to its combat. I think there are other aspects that have a higher likeliness to be responsible for the popularity difference. You have presented little to support the notion that combat is the main reason.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You really wanna die on the "Skyrim has good combat" hill huh?

It does not, but it's adequate enough for its purposes which resulted in a lot of people enjoying it.

Gameplay is more than combat. I find it hard to believe that Skyrims popularity is specifically due to its combat and vice versa Dark Messiahs low popularity specifically due to its combat.

Dark Messiah's core gameplay is focused far more on combat. Combat is part of Skyrim's core, but its scope is larger.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Skyrim has held the interest of millions of players for dozens of hours. As I mentioned, Dark Messiah already overstays its welcome a bit after only about a dozen or so hours. If it had been a longer game, it would have been worse.

Maybe it overstayed its welcome for you. I can jump into DMoMM any time and have some fun with the combat, even without kicking. Just the melee and magic systems are miles better than Skyrim.

Skyrim is enjoyable not because of the combat but despite of it. The same applies to Morrowind, one of my favorite RPGs ever... which I would never claim to have good combat though.
People like Elder Scrolls because of the open world exploration, go anywhere you want, tons of sidequests, things to discover, etc.

Elder Scrolls with DMoMM combat would sell like hotcakes and win 10/10 best game ever reviews throughout the board. Especially if it has exaggerated kicking physics.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Cant wait for climbing the wizard towers to unlock the icons in the map.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom