Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Ubisoft E3 2015 Conference: Non-Obsidian South Park RPG sequel announced

randir14

Augur
How could someone advsertize an Obsidian Sequel without Obsidian ?
They want to fill for bankruptcy ?

I think Ubisoft owns the rights, they can ask whoever they want to develop it.

Zeronet

Learned
I'm a little surprised reading reactions on news sites and forums that people are rather 'down with this sort of thing' to Obsidian no longer being involved.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The original game was... another south park episode, but as a game it was quite bad. I played it through because I enjoy South Park's dumb humor and irony, but weren't it for the setting, I wouldn't even look at the game. The gameplay was average to bad. Therefore a new studio might not be a bad thing and perhaps they can do better.

randir14

Augur
How could someone advsertize an Obsidian Sequel without Obsidian ?
They want to fill for bankruptcy ?

I think Ubisoft owns the rights, they can ask whoever they want to develop it.

What is the connexion between your sentence and the one you quoted ?

Because it's not an "Obsidian sequel". Ubisoft owns the rights, your post made it sound like you thought Obsidian could sue Ubisoft or something.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Let me remind you that Ubisoft picked up this license in the THQ bankruptcy garage sale. They didn't choose to use Obsidian, and it is understandable that they would want to change things around to suit their business model.

The South Park guys, on the other hand...

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Making fun of the previous game is just what you'd expect from a new South Park game. As Volly said, SP is all about making fun of stuff. I don't see the big deal in this case.

naossano

Cipher
I didn't mentioned any sue. I am just answering to the thread called "A non-Obsidian sequel". There is no advertizing value of announcing that the sequel won't have them, especially when they are at their prime. Better mention who will make the game instead of who won't...

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The original game was... another south park episode, but as a game it was quite bad. I played it through because I enjoy South Park's dumb humor and irony, but weren't it for the setting, I wouldn't even look at the game. The gameplay was average to bad. Therefore a new studio might not be a bad thing and perhaps they can do better.
Obsidian pulled off the maximum you can do with SP when it comes to AAA games. What did you want? Better C&C, better combat? You really think Ubisoft gives 2 shits about them? I don't think any other studio can make a better RPG lite with SP, with the restrictuions Ubisoft puts on them.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Making fun of the previous game is just what you'd expect from a new South Park game. As Volly said, SP is all about making fun of stuff. I don't see the big deal in this case.
That who made the previous game is not doing the sequel, it gives a different flavor to the joke.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That same trailer also pointed out that they won 14 awards. :M

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ited-about-new-south-park-game-it-isnt-making

Obsidian "super excited" about new South Park game it isn't making
Has close to 200 people working on games.

Obsidian Entertainment is "super excited" about a new South Park role-playing game The Fractured But Whole despite not being involved.

"We are super excited to see another South Park game getting made and can't wait to play it ourselves," CEO Feargus Urquhart told me in an email.

It was Obsidian that made South Park: The Stick of Truth, a game we Recommended. What's more, it was Obsidian that South Park originally sought out and pitched the idea to - a story Urquhart regaled me with a while ago. Sounded like a bond formed between Obsidian and South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone along the way.

But the project would never have aired had Ubisoft not bought the rights from a sunken THQ, and then delayed the game allowing crucial extra development time.

Ubisoft has put Rocksmith 2014 developer Ubisoft San Francisco in charge of South Park: The Fractured but Whole. Trey Parker and Matt Stone announced the game on Ubisoft's E3 2015 stage, suggesting they're somewhat involved. They had a big hand in making the first game so memorable - the gags were stronger than the gameplay. So perhaps it won't matter that Obsidian isn't on board. After all, the template for a game is already there.

But where does that leave Obsidian - an independent studio lest you forget?

"As you probably know," Urquhart told me, "we are working on a bunch of stuff right now and, internally, are coming close to 200 people working on games.

"Armored Warfare [tank MMO] is looking great, hitting more than 15K simultaneous people playing it last week; [the Pillars of] Eternity [Expansion] has a ton of cool new things; and we'll have a couple of fun things to announce in the next few months."

The Pillars of Eternity expansion we expect to hear more about this week at E3 - today, we hope.

Armored Warfare is the bread winner at Obsidian as it stands - an unusual free-to-play machine-based MMO departure for the studio bankrolled by Russian company My.com.

Obsidian had been in dire straits before the Pillars of Eternity Kickstarter campaign launched, it transpired recently, but fortunes appeared to change thereafter.

Whether any of this has anything at all to do with studio co-founder and iconic game developer Chris Avellone leaving Obsidian recently is unclear - maybe even far fetched.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Doubt Obsidian is getting backstabbed here. How they can they work on another South Park RPG when they have near a hundred people working on the tank MMO?

Reapa

Doom Preacher
so obsidian is working on a free to play = pay to win MMO now... independent rpg studio my ass...

Last edited:

Chamezero

Can you give the
cuck.png
tag to companies?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Obsidian -- makes a South Park game under heavy direction of Matt and Trey, but they cannot have a tranny joke in their own game.
Maybe SPS heard about their lack of integrity and cut them loose.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Isn't Bethesda also employing another studio to make the Fallout spinoff even though New Vegas was really successful? Obsidian getting bent over and fucked raw.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ited-about-new-south-park-game-it-isnt-making

Obsidian "super excited" about new South Park game it isn't making
Has close to 200 people working on games.
Feargus spreading his cheeks. "Thanks Ubisoft for not hiring us to make a sequel RPG. Can you go deeper into my ass?"

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Isn't Bethesda also employing another studio to make the Fallout spinoff even though New Vegas was really successful?

No, that's just a rumor from one of the pre-announcement bullshit leaks FO4 had. We don't know who's doing a spinoff. We don't even know if there will be a spinoff.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Isn't Bethesda also employing another studio to make the Fallout spinoff even though New Vegas was really successful?

No, that's just a rumor from one of the pre-announcement bullshit leaks FO4 had. We don't know who's doing a spinoff. We don't even know if there will be a spinoff.
Well that's good news then. It would probably be a slam dunk for Bethesda to hire Obsidian again to do a new Fallout game. But I also know Feargus said he would never sign one of those Metacritic bonus contracts again and Bethesda might be upset about MCA's tweet about them missing their bonus by a point.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
On one hand "it was barely even an RPG comment" implies that they were let down by how shallow the gameplay was (like summons being barely useful), which makes me hopeful that they will make it more playable this time. On the other hand they've said that the combat sucks, which might mean that they are going to go from a basic but fun turn-based game into some bullshit popamole crap.

Well that's good news then. It would probably be a slam dunk for Bethesda to hire Obsidian again to do a new Fallout game. But I also know Feargus said he would never sign one of those Metacritic bonus contracts again and Bethesda might be upset about MCA's tweet about them missing their bonus by a point.

It would be dumb as fuck for them to be upset about that. Obsidian is solid when it comes to making slum-dunks and Bethesda would be dumb to not hire them again considering the cash they got from New Vegas and the DLCs. MCA doesn't even work there any more. Which makes me wonder if that is why MCA left Obsidian. Zenimax might've wanted them to get rid of him if they wanted to get to work on Fallout 4. Would explain the silence, the backlash Obsidian would get for doing that would be unprecedented.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It would be dumb as fuck for them to be upset about that. Obsidian is solid when it comes to making slum-dunks and Bethesda would be dumb to not hire them again considering the cash they got from New Vegas and the DLCs. MCA doesn't even work there any more. Which makes me wonder if that is why MCA left Obsidian. Zenimax might've wanted them to get rid of him if they wanted to get to work on Fallout 4. Would explain the silence, the backlash Obsidian would get for doing that would be unprecedented.

Fire the human stretch goal and part owner to maybe get an non-committal nod from Bethesda about maybe making a Fallout 4 spin off.

Then again, they did get a publisher for Pillars of Eternity.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In

Fire the human stretch goal and part owner to maybe get an non-committal nod from Bethesda about maybe making a Fallout 4 spin off.

Then again, they did get a publisher for Pillars of Eternity.

Not that unlikely considering that fact that he was doing fuckall since NV DLCs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom