Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tzar: The Burden of the Crown

gunman

Arcane
Developer
I can't believe I missed this back in the day. Looking at the screenshots, it's incline old-school RTS. I am thinking of buying it.
Is it worth playing for the single player campaign?
Most reviews mentions awful pathfinding, and hard to manage large groups. Any advice, mods?

ss_6b5ef6224ba25a88ccdba988fb647fa0ecf7d61e.1920x1080.jpg

ss_405f48c98b17fd6176ca01950e1818de98874598.jpg

Narushima

Cipher
I have fond memories of it, but no idea if it would hold up today.
I don't remember the armies getting particularly large, and I think you could do the classic ctrl+# grouping to help.

The mages did require some micro-management in order to cast spells, however.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I remember being thoroughly unimpressed about it at release and dropping it pretty quickly.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I may be misremembering, but isn't this the game where units can level up infinitely and basically become godlike if you keep them alive long enough?

I know for sure it had heroes that could level up and become super powerful.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I may be misremembering, but isn't this the game where units can level up infinitely and basically become godlike if you keep them alive long enough?

I know for sure it had heroes that could level up and become super powerful.
I don't know. Rival Realms had that for sure : No hero, but each unit could level up to level 10, and end up soloing maps full of low level units (and every single unit past level 2 dropping thing on death, which made after battle looting an UI torture...).
76100-rival-realms-windows-screenshot-green-skin-race-collecting.jpg

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
I played this as a kid, and replayed it a few years ago. It's on Steam and GoG for a relatively cheap price. It's fun but pathfinding is REALLY bad.

Remember how in Age of Empires 1 unit groups wouldn't go into formation if you selected them all and ordered them to go somewhere, but kept their current hodgepodge arrangement? That also happens in Tzar, so you'll end up with large armies being very difficult to control.

Other than that, it's a good game. The campaign is its highlight, you get to lead a group of heroes through a high fantasy story. They carry over from level to level and keep their experience. Especially the wizard dude is going to become insanely powerful after a while. Like... half a dozen levels into the game, your heroes will one-shot every enemy unit, and nothing except for their direct counter units (like pikemen vs your king on a horse) can even harm them. During the course of a normal 1v1 skirmish, the leveling system won't turn your units into invincible supermen, but it's enough to make a difference and reward you for keeping your army alive. It's just the campaign with its hero-carryover that ends up being utterly ridiculous.

Missions tend to be pretty challenging so the OPness of your heroes isn't a bad thing. They're pretty varied and sometimes even offer alternate approaches. There's one mission where you have to steal an artifact from an enemy city, and you get a spy unit that can turn invisible but has to avoid patrols. If your spy is caught and killed, the mission doesn't fail but you take control of the wizard dude who now attempts plan B of building up a small base and launching an attack on the city. Pretty cool.

There's 3 factions: Europeans, Arabians and Asians. They all follow common high fantasy cliches, with the Euros being basically medieval England/France/Germany with knights and longbows and castles. The Arabs are your typical 1001 nights faction, they even have jinn (JINN EXIST :andhaira: ). The Asians are taken straight out of your typical samurai movie. They all play similarly but have a different flavor and different unique units. During the course of the campaign, you start out with the Europeans, then later go to the Arabians, and in the end to the Asians, so you get to play as all three factions.

The campaign is very long, so if you're only interested in the campaign you will get your money's worth.

Overall it's a competent Age of Empires clone with some unique ideas that are somewhat broken, and utterly horrible pathfinding which is the only real downside of the game.
It's worth a try for sure.

gunman

Arcane
Developer
So far I am enjoying it (I am the mission 5 or 6 into campaign).
The pathfinding seems bad indeed, but I noticed that if you hold shift when ordering a group of units to move, they will bunch up instead of keeping their original arrangement.
Given the difficulty of campaign (from what I have heard) do you need to grind levels for your heroes early, or is it unnecessary?

Looks like there are some extra campaigns, has anyone tried those?
https://af.gog.com/forum/tzar_the_b...eleased_only_in_spain_and_italy?as=1649904300

Last edited by a moderator:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Given the difficulty of campaign (from what I have heard) do you need to grind levels for your heroes early, or is it unnecessary?

They should gain enough levels naturally if you use them regularly. At some point they'll be powerful enough to conduct raids on enemy bases while you're building up your own (in missions that have you build up a base and army to assault the enemy), without the need for any other troops at their side. That way they naturally gain more XP, and you do some damage to the enemy before he can snowball.

gunman

Arcane
Developer
Found an funny thing: in 2nd mission, Sartor, then a peasant unit, can harvest wood and build a training dummy, so you can raise both the Wizard and the Pikeman heroes to level 8 immediately.

Mission 6, with the massive assault against the castle is a lot of fun. After a couple of failed attempts, I won at the limit, with the castle breached and Sartor captured. It's nice how the missions change based on what you achieve (or fail), and there are even extra missions based on results.

Overall the game feels like what Warcraft 3 should have been.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom