Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Tyranny Released

GloomFrost

Arcane
One of the greatest things about Tyranny is that it made me want to play New Vegas again. :). And yeah how was that humanly possible to make party of 4 a lot harder to control and micromanage then the party of 6. A mystery!

Unwanted

Hegemon Severus

Unwanted
Dunno what are You talking about Peon, but i can assure You im psychofan of every crpg title better than complete crap.
If you are talking about my "english", well it's sad but i can't communicate in such primitve languages good enough. So forgive me Peasant.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
-I'd say the story is more interesting than Pillars of Eternity but that's not saying a lot. The soul-powered world idea was dumb. This game has weird factions and characters that were way more interesting. I also liked the tooltips which link to the lore database in-game, in case you forget what the 'Glanflargblarg' are mid-conversation.

-Stat system is the same as PoE with a couple changes. One of the stats actually affects accuracy now, another powers-up magic. So no more stacking Strength to get spell damage anymore and no more constant missing.

-Skills go up via use, ala Skyrim. It works okay for weapon/defense skills, no so well for magic skills since almost every spell has it's own accuracy skill. Mages end up with 8+ different skills for hitting things with magic.

-Spell system is interesting, everyone can use magic, just need enough Lore, handy to put healing spells on everyone. Mages have fairly limited slots though so its a trade-off between specialization and versatility, which is the best kind of trade-off.

-Six party members (that I've found), 4 party slots. 3 fighters, 3 mages, only one qualifies as a tank which makes him feel pretty mandatory. It's the DA: Origins Alistair problem again. So far two melee + two mages works pretty well for me.

-During Act 1 you have to pick between 2 factions, there is a person in your party from both factions, so the choice pisses off one of them. I chose against Barik, he tried to leave, I convinced him to stay to the end of the Act, he's still there past Act 1, no dialogue explains this. Now he's fighting his own faction with no comment, for such a story-heavy game this is very odd, it's the KotOR problem again: "You're obviously an evil psychopath but I'm going to stay in your party because the combat requires my tanking abilities."

-There's a second layer of attack mechanics added in. After the initial hit roll there's a 'precision' check which can upgrade the attack one stage (miss to graze, graze to hit, hit to crit) and then a 'deflection' check which downgrades the attack back one stage. Deflection mostly comes from light armor, while heavy armor still has direct damage reduction. With a full set of light armor you can get around 50% deflection, combined with high defense stats it's possible to make a 'dodge tank.'

-Speaking of tanking, Barik's taunt skill seems to work less than 50% of the time, which is lame. The player character can use a Tanking Stance that runs constantly, why doesn't Barik have this? Engagement mechanic still sucks, enemies ignore it and rush your back line if they can, engagement attacks just aren't that big of a deal, especially with plenty of defense/armor/deflection.

-Party members get 2 skill trees (except for Lantry who gets 3 for some reason). These trees are meant to go with 2 builds, for example Verse can go dual-wield or archer; Barik can go offense or defense. Either way fighters seem to get very few abilities, even at level 9+ my fighters only had like 2 attack skills each; compared to mages who get tons of inherent abilities in addition to magic.

-Faction system is over-complicated. You have Favor and Wrath bars with all factions, Loyalty and Fear bars with all party members. Each is a separate bar, both give you bonuses and it's possible to increase all bars through various choices. So instead of saying "I'm going to go a loyalty playthrough" or "This time I'm going to go for Wrath" you can just min-max and get most of the bonuses. It feels less like role-playing and more like being the world's most apathetic manipulator. Maybe that's the idea? The faction rewards aren't that great anyway; passive abilities and active attacks you won't have room for on your skill bar. Party member reputation just gives you combo skills, most of which are usable once per rest, which means they almost never get used.

-You can use a forge to upgrade your equipment; first upgrade gives a nice boost to damage/armor, the second upgrade seems to do nothing. Bug?

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Dunno what are You talking about Peon, but i can assure You im psychofan of every crpg title better than complete crap.
If you are talking about my "english", well it's sad but i can't communicate in such primitve languages good enough. So forgive me Peasant.

Forsooth. T is given yond a barely did light'rate one such as yourself wouldst struggle to communicateth with such a simple primitive language.

And thy standards art base if 't be true any mediocre crpg is did hold high.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I am still waiting for the codex rant review.

Any expansions/dlcs planned for this game. I hear there is a cliff at the end.
Yes and those that didn't enjoy it throw themselves off it while others sit at the edge and enjoy the view.

deama

Prophet
Yeah, I just had a run through my 3rd oldwalls dungeon; and I think it made me quit the game for good lol.

skyst

Augur
This game is pretty good. Grampy_Bone summed up about everything that I was going to say about it.

I will say that Tyranny has some solid RTwP combat, a big improvement over PoE and much more manageable. Path of the Damned difficulty feels just right without making me feel the need to min/max my party, spam consumables or resort to cheesy tactics. Encounter design is somewhat better than in Pillars of Eternity, which is not saying much, and is still a huge opportunity for Obsidian. The game is also in dire need of more than 3 enemy types (humans, beast people and ghosts). The world and lore is well done and I appreciate it not feeling like standard high-fantasy.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Played a while, I find combat unbearable. Far too many abilities, to the point that it's way harder to control Tranny's 4 characters than it was PoE's 6 characters. I don't know WTF they were thinking. Also, the UI is absolute garbage compared to PoE .

On the plus side, lots of reactivity and complex faction mechanics are great. The world is interesting and the story is well paced and picks up right away, at least I know the point of me being there, instead of looking for some magic berries in the forest....

Overall first impressions are meh. They somehow managed to improve upon bad parts of PoE, but also mess up a lot of things that PoE did great. Typical Obsidian.

Deleted member 7219

It's been a great game. I'm almost at the end. But I just hit a progress stopping bug and I can't continue. Fortunately, from the looks of the Paradox forums other people have reported the same issue so I hope it'll be fixed soon. But there's no more Tyranny for me until they fix it.

It's one of the fights at the end.
Voices of Nerat. I've killed or dominated the other archons, and he's the last one. Combat won't end.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Honestly this feels more... Darklands like than Pillars, having separate skills leveling on their own feels great and rewarding. I too stumbled on the fact that anybody can use spells and they get better by using that skill so I tried for a couple of emergency spells for my fighters and it works well indeed
Kind of overwhelmed with 6(!) perk trees but definetly enjoying the game a lot. It looks beautifully old school and it is very good indication that it is noticeable the improvements over Pillars (more fluid combat, less text walls, better writing and yes even setting)
Kind of pissed that Barik is the only reliable tank (and he looks the part too) And is pretty much the only option for a PC mage build oh and i love how the gave the lore dumps to conpanions in case anybody is interested in more lore about the factoons
Still suprised just how much better combat looks and feels and might try a fighter type for my next playthrough
Oh and have you noticed certain homages to prior games? Iron shortages and all...

Last edited:

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Kind of pissed that Barik is the only reliable tank (and he looks the part too)
It's also annoying that he can't wear armor so unless you make yourself a tank, all heavy armor loot is just vendor junk.

The fun part is that you can upgrade his armor at forge.. I wonder how it looks like and how it is he is still alive while his armor is being reforged in high temp.

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
Kind of worried about the combat comments in this thread. Hope I didn't waste my money. Will probably get a chance to play this next week

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom