Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tyranny Pre-Release Thread

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I like that your question assumes FG's release. :D

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Have they given early review copies to anyone actually reputable, present company excluded? It seems like they've been focusing exclusively on their Twitter friends or something, and Paradox sure as hell isn't doing anything to get the game out there.

LizardWizard

Cipher
It's so strange to me that they decided to release this on Thursday instead of Tuesday. Almost all major releases come out on Mondays or Tuesday. If I remember correctly, I think they even released Stellaris on a Tuesday. So why prolong it to later in the week?

Election day for the Yanks.

Fairfax

Arcane
Have they given early review copies to anyone actually reputable, present company excluded? It seems like they've been focusing exclusively on their Twitter friends or something, and Paradox sure as hell isn't doing anything to get the game out there.
They probably bought the front page ad on steam for thursday, but yeah, not a lot of marketing. Seems to be the norm for Paradox games, though. Their games with more exposure are usually established franchises with a large community like their strategy games.
PoE had the advantage of years of build-up and expectations from the extremely popular KS, but Tyranny doesn't.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.pcgamesn.com/tyranny/tyranny-faction-guide

Tyranny is an RPG full of bad people, and most of them are your colleagues. Getting through the nine-to-five without infuriating a man who eats memories or directly disobeying the overlord who rules over Terratus’ conquered lands is easier said than done - so we’ve put together a quick primer on the people you really don’t want to say the wrong thing to once you start your own playthrough.

The changing events of Tyranny are fueled by a bunch of reputation meters. You can push factions towards wholehearted approval of you, or induce thundering wrath. Companions can be nudged into loving loyalty, or lashed into fear. Of course: fear can be just as useful a means of controlling an individual as respect. Something to remember as you navigate the tricksy politics of the Tiers.

Obsidian’s latest is out this Thursday, November 10th. Until then, you can busy yourself with Steve’s dissection of what’s disturbing about Tyranny, or Matt’s look into the way Tyranny builds spells and legends. And you can subscribe to the PCGamesN YouTube channel, where we do lots of this sort of stuff. Hail Kyros!

Prime Junta

It's so strange to me that they decided to release this on Thursday instead of Tuesday. Almost all major releases come out on Mondays or Tuesday. If I remember correctly, I think they even released Stellaris on a Tuesday. So why prolong it to later in the week?

Election day for the Yanks.

Which makes it doubly puzzling. What other day would be better for "Evil Won?"

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
The commenters in the top listed stream are discussing whether Blackguards 1 is playable without felipepepe's guide while the new Tyranny material is playing in the background. What could it mean?

Fairfax

Arcane
pISXCVB.png

Thought this part was very codexian. :M

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I must have missed this, but why are all the proper nouns in red? Seems kinda disruptive, do they link to some lore entry in journal? Can you turn this off?

Fairfax

Arcane
I must have missed this, but why are all the proper nouns in red? Seems kinda disruptive, do they link to some lore entry in journal? Can you turn this off?
Yes. Mouseover shows the short explanation, right click opens the full lore entry.
I don't know if you can turn it off, will check when I get home.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
The marketing for this game is fucking horrible. Seems that Paradox forgotten this isn't one of their strategy games, and they can't really on their hordes of masturbating fanboys to spread the word.

Fry

Arcane
People keep saying this, and I keep wondering... what sort of marketing did you expect? They've been to all the trade shows, they've given a shitload of interviews to gaming sites, they've handed out keys to streamers. The only remaining option is aggressive advertising, and I don't think the return on that would justify the cost.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Dawg, I expected successful marketing first of all. Given the premise this game should have been an easy sell, but it barely registered as a bleep so far.

Starwars

Arcane
Well, it's in 8th place on the STEAM top sellers now and has been climbing and it's 4th on GOG with the autumn sale there going on. It's still a niche game, I don't think it's doing quite as badly as people seem to think.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Torment was handing out posters autographed by Fargo and sent engraved invitations to the press. Did Tyranny do the same? (I suppose the posters would have been signed by Feargus in that case).

vonAchdorf

Arcane
What kind of marketing do you expect? They did the usual Twitch / Youtube influencer stuff. The game is discussed in the appropriate places (like on the Codex) and they have their mailing lists from PoE and Paradox itself. I don't think buying the IGN start page background would help them much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom