Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tyranny Pre-Release Thread

Sizzle

Arcane
All that Spire business with the lost technology sorta reminds me (that, and all the supposed C&C) of AoD.

Also, dibs on Kyros being some sort of remnant of that lost civilisation that built the Oldwalls and Spires - would fit his/her ability to cast Edicts, as well as restricting access to them.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
According to the intro movie Kyros got his start on the other side of the continent, though.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I think there is no need even to clear up who or what Kyros is, actually I do not even have an interest, just leave it a mystery.

Way too many games and fantasy novels tend to explain too much and throw their 'lore' at you and leave too few things to speculation and imagination. I think its interesting that the story is confined to a relatively local area and a relatively low key local conflict. And I am fine with Kyros being some inexplicably powerful looming presence, very far away from whats going on, with no clear information what happened in the past other than hearsay and myth.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Maybe he can only edict loyal servants in his domain. Or he wouldn't need need iron weapons for her conquest.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
We know you need a Fatebinder to pronounce the Edict. Could be the storyline is set up so that the Tiers are somehow cut off from the rest of Kyros' empire and a new Fatebinder can't arrive.

Efe

Erudite
how could his mere speculation be informative?
There is some shady shit going on with infinitron, is there any chance he is paid off to promote tyranny?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
how could his mere speculation be informative?
There is some shady shit going on with infinitron, is there any chance he is paid off to promote tyranny?

Both the Codex and Obsidian benefit from having a cordial relationship without any money changing hands (other than buying their games).

Obsidian is also a bit unique among bigger-than-garage-devs when it comes to their tolerance threshold for harsh criticism and personal attacks.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I have been paying a good deal of attention to Tyranny simply because it's been the only high profile title on the immediate horizon for months.

Sannom

Augur
After seeing the streams, I am not a fan of how the Subterfuge skill is used in conversation. Mainly because I don't actually see the common thread between the various examples shown. It sometimes enables one to deceive one's interlocutor, but sometimes it just seems used to mock people? I don't see the connections.

Unrelated, but looking at the ZAM stream, it seems that there are some people in the Chorus who appreciates order and experience, as the Chanter in charge at Echocall respects you for going through the entirety of the Conquest and for remembering some of his Furies in the Harbingers gang.

mitochondritom

Educated

Just flicking through this video that appeared. I do think this game looks good but I laughed at ~ 20 mins in when the guy is waxing lyrical about the bronze age setting as the party are stood atop a ginormous skyscraper sized tower containing a forge that looks like it was used to build battle droids for Count Dooku. It pisses me off because I think an RPG actually set in the bronze age would be quite cool.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Early pre-order sales looks not so fabulous: http://tools.garry.tv/steamchart/?show=362960

HTF6NPX.png

A round of previews couldn't get Tyranny to top 10:

m9bha1N.png

From their press feed:

Greetings,

We at Paradox Interactive are currently doing a small study on pre-ordering games and purchasing behavior on Steam. We’ve selected you as one of our participants and hope you have the time to share your opinions with us!

The survey takes around 3 minutes to complete, but the gratitude we’ll feel for your valuable feedback will last through the ages! The replies to the survey are completely anonymous, and the data will not be shared with any third parties. You will not receive any marketing emails as a result of replying to this survey.

Thank you so much for your time, your interest in our games and your feedback!

Kind Regards,
Paradox Interactive

WpA3kQA.png

tfXAEBE.png

vlTWqMu.png

9U49vR1.png

Feel free to speculate about the timing.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Just flicking through this video that appeared. I do think this game looks good but I laughed at ~ 20 mins in when the guy is waxing lyrical about the bronze age setting as the party are stood atop a ginormous skyscraper sized tower containing a forge that looks like it was used to build battle droids for Count Dooku. It pisses me off because I think an RPG actually set in the bronze age would be quite cool.

The tower dunt bother me that much, just thinkin of it as a fantasy mile fort such as you find on Hadrians, but gotta agree that they've missed a big opportunity in not going for a more...authentic Bronze Age aesthetic. Wind up there must be fuckin savage though.

Oh dint see anybody walkin in this, are Obs not botherin implementin this feature again?

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Bronze age is a boring part of history in terms of aesthetics. I am glad they went for bronze age society but more fantasy aesthetics.

Historically, which era do you find more aesthetically interesting?

Late antiquity and early modern period. 5th and 17th century in particular, but also rest of those periods.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Stream is live:

And aaaaaah it's being played by purple-haired Paradox chicks

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom