Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Tyranny Dev Diary Video #3: Gameplay and Mechanics

Sentinel

Arcane
Dumb as fuck.

"Let's expand on all these ideas no one gives a shit about and ignore everything people actually want"

Like custom companions, multiple classes, turn based option, more than 4 fucking character slots...
No one gives a shit about any of that, son. With the exception of character slots.

Darkzone

Arcane
Classes or Classless that is the question.
Whether feel the force upon you to play a certain packaged character, even if you dont want all the baggage with it.
Or suffering the agony of choice, and by its torment experiencing the freedom of playing half of that what you want.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
How does no classes make a game elder scrolls? AoD has no classes and it's basically antithesis of oblivion/skyrim. Oblivion is trash because not leveling up is better than leveling up, plus the game is generic as fuck and has dull combat (had some interesting side quests though) and skyrim is trash because it's a hiking simulator, less generic than oblivion but hiking simulator nonetheless.

Classless systems can be great if done properly with proper stat weighing and ability/skill scaling. AoD is a big example of how classless system can be great. I had more fun building a character in AoD than I did in a lot of other games, the whole hoarding skill points to access content slightly undermined it but that's more of a problem with me wanting to see as much content as possible in a single-play through by savescumming. Don't even need to do it for ascending.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Grognards hated decline, now they hate incline because any gameplay that's significantly different to their grimy coke stained 2nd source books is heathenism. There isn't a single tiny insignificant thing about classless progression that detracts from choices and consequence and in-depth skillful gameplay. In fact role playing itself probably benefits from breaking out of the crude, broad swipes cliches that 4 decades of Dungeons and Dragons has marooned the mainstream in.

Character creation that requires picking one of 9 preset archetypes then choosing whether you are 10% more healy or 10% more damagey, organic character creation isn't the single god given method to approach role playing.

Of all the things that Tyranny looks like it is doing badly, having the balls to adapt the Morrowind/Oblivion skills mechanic and trying to do it right is one of the things I applaud them for doing. It might work out, it might not work out, but they're at least trying to do something cool and different.

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Class-based character customization works well for party-based games, where the player can decide which combinations of archetypes he wants to use to formulate his party. Less so for games with a single player-character where choosing one archetype means constraining yourself to a certain set of abilities and excluding everything else.

Skill-based character customization works well for games with a single player-character, where the player can fine-tune his PC's skill selection to determine exactly what he is and is not proficient at doing. Less so for party-based games, where the party collectively will be proficient at almost everything.

Class-based character customization was established for character archetypes derived from fantasy literature and works well in fantasy settings where the classes correspond to archetypes that make sense for the setting and its inspirations. Less so for science-fiction settings, where the inspirational literature generally lacks clearly-defined archetypes in terms of character ability.

Skill-based character customization corresponds to characterization in science-fiction literature where individuals have knowledge of specific areas and have aptitude at specific tasks due to their prior education and training, and thus works well in science-fiction settings where the skills available make sense for the setting and its inspirations. Less so for fantasy settings, where the inspirational literature rarely includes characters with a disparate set of skills.

Tyranny is party-based with a fantasy setting, yet chooses skill-based customization over class-based customization? :M

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Class-based character customization works well for party-based games, where the player can decide which combinations of archetypes he wants to use to formulate his party. Less so for games with a single player-character where choosing one archetype means constraining yourself to a certain set of abilities and excluding everything else.

Skill-based character customization works well for games with a single player-character, where the player can fine-tune his PC's skill selection to determine exactly what he is and is not proficient at doing. Less so for party-based games, where the party collectively will be proficient at almost everything.

Class-based character customization was established for character archetypes derived from fantasy literature and works well in fantasy settings where the classes correspond to archetypes that make sense for the setting and its inspirations. Less so for science-fiction settings, where the inspirational literature generally lacks clearly-defined archetypes in terms of character ability.

Skill-based character customization corresponds to characterization in science-fiction literature where individuals have knowledge of specific areas and have aptitude at specific tasks due to their prior education and training, and thus works well in science-fiction settings where the skills available make sense for the setting and its inspirations. Less so for fantasy settings, where the inspirational literature rarely includes characters with a disparate set of skills.

Tyranny is party-based with a fantasy setting, yet chooses skill-based customization over class-based customization? :M
Good story bro.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Agenda-acknowledged for a thorough apologia for the status-quo. But it seems small-minded to resent Tyranny for trying something different.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I remember KOTOR 1 had F4 as the default and I was too young to know any better. I assume KOTOR 2 was the same

It's just a nonstop spiral of decline

Fairfax

Arcane
I remember KOTOR 1 had F4 as the default and I was too young to know any better. I assume KOTOR 2 was the same

It's just a nonstop spiral of decline
KOTOR 1 was F4 and F5, probably the worst ever. I think KOTOR 2 was the same.

Turok

Erudite
You people still don't know that the fate of a people does not always rest with a hero???

adrix89

Cipher
Why are there so many of my country here?
I think its probably going to be good since its not PoE and they probably learned something from it.

People have to remember that it takes years of experimentation to get a decent combat system. And since PoE started with the worst possible combat they could have come up with it can only get better.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I predict that some people will say the combat feels better and "totally different from PoE" simply because it's slower + has fewer characters to micromanage and correspondingly smaller encounters.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Welp, I bought it even though I feel it's not worth 42 eurodollars. At least I don't have to actively avoid spoilers now.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Any reviews yet?

Release is in three hours, unless you are looking for "professional gaming sites" which regard Bioware as the pinnacle of writing in video games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom