Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tyranny + Bastard's Wound Expansion Thread

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Pragmatism aka Wants more money, Kill all enemies = Evil
Compassionate aka Doesn't want reward, spare enemes = Good

Reapa

Doom Preacher
every 10 sec theres a fucking scripted event! for fuck's sake! let the people play the fucking game! if i wan't to know stuff let me inquire, if i want to find stuff let me search, if i want to talk let me start the fucking conversation instead of spoon feeding me everything!!!
it's not immersive to be thrown into some battle in which people have nothing better to do then piss me off asking for my fucking friendship, it's stupid!
EDIT: i'd rather miss 10 times in a row and one hit my enemy on contact than scratch him 'till he rage quits the fight and plays dead. i wonder how the fuck you people thought you'd make a good game with this kind of system. missing again and again means the opponent is agile and i'm not experienced enough to hit him so my only chance would be a lucky blow from which i could learn something -> xp. hitting him until his leather armor starts falling apart is like a fight between two retarded bulimic bitches with no muscle tissue to make a difference between missing and hitting each other but keep going at it like they're senile!

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
every 10 sec theres a fucking scripted event! for fuck's sake! let the people play the fucking game! if i wan't to know stuff let me inquire, if i want to find stuff let me search, if i want to talk let me start the fucking conversation instead of spoon feeding me everything!!!
it's not immersive to be thrown into some battle in which people have nothing better to do then piss me off asking for my fucking friendship, it's stupid!
What the hell are you talking about

Reapa

Doom Preacher
What the hell are you talking about
If you can't keep up with the conversation you may wanna keep out of it.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Okay. We tried to make a good game.
and don't get me started on continuing to use this ability cooldown crap we hated so much in PoE, the stats that meke no sense and skills you can only use once every encounter because 'balance' and 'omg it's op' and 'we can't let people use the skills they have as much as they want' kind of idiotic logic.

Sentinel

Arcane
Are you retarded? The only per rest/encounter abilities are combo abilities, everything else is on cooldowns like your typical mmorpg.
Your complaint about scripted events every 10 seconds is also fucking wrong. If you're at the start, that's sort of normal, even PoE did it. The introductory areas of every game usually tend to take control away to guide the player a bit. After you get out of the initial area there's nothing interrupting the flow of the gameplay aside from character conversations.
Also they reworked stats, might has nothing to do with mages anymore. Wits governs spell strength (Might doesn't do shit for mages in PoE either by the way you mongoloid, it only increases AoE by a minimal value).

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
This game really needs more rape.

Funnily I think it's also way less grimdark than PoE, it's brutal to be sure but no one seems to be taking that brutality seriously, they just treat it as order of the business or flat out enjoy it. I guess that's what happens people who you deal with are already committed to Kyros and being assholes. Being evil can apparently take the narrative quality of struggle against suffering while evil happens it seems, when no one cares about the consequences of it.

FreeKaner

No, I think Tyranny did companions way better, not necessarily in terms of characters themselves but how they interact with you and each other, plus the time limit on edict is a very interesting gameplay aspect. It's just not in the tone I was expecting it to be, it's more like a comic book, rather than the black-and-grey approach of pillars where suffering has its consequences, Tyranny just took it for granted.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Are you retarded? The only per rest/encounter abilities are combo abilities, everything else is on cooldowns like your typical mmorpg.
Your complaint about scripted events every 10 seconds is also fucking wrong. If you're at the start, that's sort of normal, even PoE did it. The introductory areas of every game usually tend to take control away to guide the player a bit. After you get out of the initial area there's nothing interrupting the flow of the gameplay aside from character conversations.
Also they reworked stats, might has nothing to do with mages anymore. Wits governs spell strength (Might doesn't do shit for mages in PoE either by the way you mongoloid, it only increases AoE by a minimal value).
telling me "even PoE did something" and "typical mmorpg" are the stupidest possible arguments you can use when i'm bashing Tyranny for not moving away from PoE. it is you who is retarded. now kindly shut the fuck up when grown ups are talking and get the fuck out of my forum! you fucking noob!

FreeKaner

I now consider being evil in a world where evil hasn't won yet would be far more interesting, if people would react way more wildly to it rather than understand it's just the way things are.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Joshua Eric Sawyer's Stormlands would have undoubtedly blown this game away with regard to tone (and mechanics and...). :negative:

FreeKaner

Joshua Eric Sawyer's Stormlands would have undoubtedly blown this game away with regard to tone (and mechanics and...). :negative:

I think it's an interesting experiment and a fun game, it's just not what I expected it to be at all, in any regard. Being charged with duty of dealing justice of a conquering army in a semi-serious setting is what I feel like I am doing. Now I think that a game focused on that idea would actually have potential to reflect the "evil" of conquest much better, because it would be acknowledged as such instead of being presented as how things work. However I am not very far into the game, the game ends in 26th of the month, right? That's not just a stepping stone.

How much influence did Sawyer have on Tyranny? I'm assuming not much. Some of Sawyer's ideas seem borderline antithetical to having fun, but with a setting focused on realistic evil, his pragmatism and DM'ing experience would've likely served the game well.

Sentinel

Arcane
How much influence did Sawyer have on Tyranny? I'm assuming not much. Some of Sawyer's ideas seem borderline antithetical to having fun, but with a setting focused on realistic evil, his pragmatism and DM'ing experience would've likely served the game well.
Purely some advice on the game design side when Heines wanted it.

Last edited:

FreeKaner

I think I might pull a Roguey and let this game cook until it's done, few balance and content patches as well as expansions are necessary. I like what I see so far, I think the game was mis-marketed however, as if it would be some narrative about consequences and philosophy of evil, a la MOTB or kotr, when it's more just a power fantasy of representing a conquering army against rebels and solving the issues with the conquest itself, at least from what I have seen so far.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, but dang, that's disappointing. I'm struggling to finish PoE for a variety of reasons but I can appreciate Sawyer's design philosophies and the man seems self-critical in a lot of positive ways that could potentially lead to a much improved sequel. I was hoping that'd get applied to Tyranny, but I guess not.

If it's half as good as Obsidian's better work then it'll still be worth playing eventually, but with the cliffhanger ending and apparent gameplay issues I'll join the "patches/expansions then buy" crowd for now.

Sentinel

Arcane
I think I might pull a Roguey and let this game cook until it's done, few balance and content patches as well as expansions are necessary. I like what I see so far, I think the game was mis-marketed however, as if it would be some narrative about consequences and philosophy of evil, a la MOTB or kotr, when it's more just a power fantasy of representing a conquering army against rebels and solving the issues with the conquest itself, at least from what I have seen so far.
Have you finished the game?

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So when can we expect the butthurt-inducing Darth Roxor review?

FreeKaner

Have you finished the game?

No but I am a fair bit into it, if 24 hours is supposed to be its length. The game I find really enthralling in an odd way but it's literally not what developers sold it as. I am not sure whether I should be satisfied or disappoint by that.

Sentinel

Arcane
Thanks for the info, but dang, that's disappointing. I'm struggling to finish PoE for a variety of reasons but I can appreciate Sawyer's design philosophies and the man seems self-critical in a lot of positive ways that could potentially lead to a much improved sequel. I was hoping that'd get applied to Tyranny, but I guess not.

If it's half as good as Obsidian's better work then it'll still be worth playing eventually, but with the cliffhanger ending and apparent gameplay issues I'll join the "patches/expansions then buy" crowd for now.
I think PoE improved a lot over its patch life time and I look forward to PoE2 in terms of design. Sawyer's PoE Post-Mortrem presentation was also very interesting and left me hopeful.
However I just don't think they'll match PoE in terms of plot, even if PoE wasn't exactly extremely brilliant, it was still good. Call me a misogynist all you want, but I don't think a female writer can carry the metaphysical themes of the first game forward without fucking it up or mixing romance with it. They just don't have the genuine interest in those more abstract themes to produce anything of worth.

Last edited:

FreeKaner

It's called a known-shippable, probably optimisation problems they just decided to release the game with like how it's the norm these days.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom