Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tyranny + Bastard's Wound Expansion Thread

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Yeah, it doesn't smell of a cynical cash-grab, I think they really did try to make a game they wanted. They just didn't have the knowledge nor artistic skill to do so. Even if they didn't literally advertise PoE as BG3 the game shows that it tried to be and Sawyer probably imposed that on himself, either consciously (probably) or unconsciously.

Maybe you're right. But if I was a creative game designer with a hand in the writing and choices in this game, I'd destroy my office furniture with my signed MCA-bust before accepting the empty product they ended up selling. Somehere along the line here someone chose shekels over creative vision.
Is it possible to be this fucking stupid?

Fairfax

Arcane
At least they tried to do something different. A more honourable failure than Pillars.
PoE was constrained by needing to be not-swordcoast snoozefest fantasy. Considering that, it did way better.
They didn't have to do that, it was a self-imposed restriction by Sawyer. He acts like they pitched BG3 in all but name and his hands were tied, but Sword Coast setting was never part of the Kickstarter pitch, neither was "spiritual sequel to Baldur's Gate".
Don't be naive
See for yourself. "Project Eternity will take the central hero, memorable companions and the epic exploration of Baldur’s Gate". None of that requires a Sword Coast setting.

They didn't have to do that, it was a self-imposed restriction by Sawyer. He acts like they pitched BG3 in all but name and his hands were tied, but Sword Coast setting was never part of the Kickstarter pitch, neither was "spiritual sequel to Baldur's Gate".

Funny how you hate act 3 then considering that's the chapter with the weirdest content in the base game.
It only stands out compared to the previous acts. Nothing particularly weird about meeting and doing boring quests for the fake gods. I also couldn't stand the combat and encounter design anymore at that point.

MrMarbles

Cipher
Yeah, it doesn't smell of a cynical cash-grab, I think they really did try to make a game they wanted. They just didn't have the knowledge nor artistic skill to do so. Even if they didn't literally advertise PoE as BG3 the game shows that it tried to be and Sawyer probably imposed that on himself, either consciously (probably) or unconsciously.

Maybe you're right. But if I was a creative game designer with a hand in the writing and choices in this game, I'd destroy my office furniture with my signed MCA-bust before accepting the empty product they ended up selling. Somehere along the line here someone chose shekels over creative vision.
Is it possible to be this fucking stupid?

You've been trolling ever since we disagreed on something or another in the shoutbox, and since you bomb every thread with posts it's freaking inescapable. Do me a favour and ignore me so I don't have to deal with your shit.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It only stands out compared to the previous acts. Nothing particularly weird about meeting and doing boring quests for the fake gods.

Galawain's Maw and Noonfrost are some very fantastic places.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tyranny's reception on the Codex is pretty interesting. Lots of people who think it's better or worse than PoE, for all sorts of different reasons.

Overall you don't get the impression that it's extremely hated (which is clearly pissing a few people off, heh). Maybe the consensus would be more negative if not for many PoE players who are now #NeverObsidian and will never touch the game.

Lhynn

Arcane
Its better than poe by virtue of being shorter and that it doesnt take itself so seriously.

Its still streamlined garbage with no real value, plenty of games that you could be playing that are simply better than it.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
PoE is infinitely better than Tranny.

Tranny is short but you spend so much time reading shit instead of playing that it feels like.......eternity.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Its better than poe by virtue of being shorter and that it doesnt take itself so seriously.

Its still streamlined garbage with no real value, plenty of games that you could be playing that are simply better than it.

Where do you think it's going to rank in the 2016 goty poll though

Its competition is Siege of Dragonspear and Dungeon Rats and with regards to the latter, dungeon crawls are typically not highly ranked by the Codex as a whole. Dragon Age: Origins soundly beat Knights of the Chalice way back when; we could get something similar here.

Sentinel

Arcane
I loved PoE but Tyranny is a pile of shit.
At least in PoE if things got dull I had something more than humans to fight and combat wasn't just spam cooldowns all day baby.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing

Its competition is Siege of Dragonspear

If Siege of Dragonspear is in, then Blood and Wine counts as well. The White March is more problematic, since it's not a separate campaign and requires you to play the base game to start it. Same with Shadows of Hong Kong.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If Siege of Dragonspear is in, then Blood and Wine counts as well. The White March is more probematic, since it's not a separate campaign and requires you to play through the base game to start it.

I forgot that was this year. My personal goty without a doubt.

Sentinel

Arcane

Its competition is Siege of Dragonspear

If Siege of Dragonspear is in, then Blood and Wine and Shadows of Hong Kong count as well. The White March is more probematic, since it's not a separate campaign and requires you to play through the base game to start it.
I'm pretty sure Blood & Wine also requires you to play through the game to access it. If for nothing else, at least to be at the appropriate level.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
It doesn't. You can import a character from the base game, or you can make a new one at level 35. And it doesn't continue the storyline of the main game and barely makes any references to it unless you've imported a character.

Story wise, it's more of a separate game than Siege of Dragonspear.

By the way, the new ToME campaign also qualifies; we already included the first expansion in the 2014 GOTY poll.

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
Oh, right. I forgot about the dev created char they give you, maybe because I've never used it lol.
Man, gotta do my 5th playthrough of W3 and its expansions sometime soon.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Fallout 1.5 will beat them all

Are mods games now, I don't recall fan-made efforts ranked against professional releases in the past.

We haven't included them in the past, but between Fallout 1.5 and Enderal they have a strong enough lobby on the staff this year.

Those two also got reviewed and scored in professional magazines if that helps.

Lhynn

Arcane
A lot higher than it deserves, thats for sure. Weve gotten some great stuff in 2016, Tyranny should barely register if we were measuring them by quality. Fact is, obsidian made it, a lot of people played it over other titles simply due to that.

Its competition is Siege of Dragonspear and Dungeon Rats and with regards to the latter, dungeon crawls are typically not highly ranked by the Codex as a whole. Dragon Age: Origins soundly beat Knights of the Chalice way back when; we could get something similar here.
Dungeon rats has great encounters and the whole combat system that didnt work on AoD works wonderfully on DR. That said ive yet to play SoD so no idea.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Shouldn't.

Tyranny has a better Steam rating at the moment and despite the fact that it came out a few months ago, you can already buy it half off, and it only has 4x as many owners. :M

Wow, they really messed up.

Fairfax

Arcane
Shouldn't.

Tyranny has a better Steam rating at the moment and despite the fact that it came out a few months ago, you can already buy it half off, and it only has 4x as many owners. :M

It's because Mankind Divided was a disastrous port at launch. Different x/y sensitivity, forced mouse acceleration, shitty performance, constant crashes, UI bugs, etc.

Sentinel

Arcane
Shouldn't.

It's because Mankind Divided was a disastrous port at launch. Different x/y sensitivity, forced mouse acceleration, shitty performance, constant crashes, UI bugs, etc.
Lol, no. It's because it has denuvo, and thus sees no discussion whatsoever anywhere. HR was also a shit port at release and it didn't stop it from being extremely successful.

Fairfax

Arcane
Shouldn't.

Lol, no. It's because it has denuvo, and thus sees no discussion whatsoever anywhere. HR was also a shit port at release and it didn't stop it from being extremely successful.
Vast majority of negative reviews on Steam at launch were because of the technical issues. A lot of people couldn't even start the game. And Denuvo only affects discussions elsewhere, steam reviews can only come from people who bought it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom