Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tyranny + Bastard's Wound Expansion Thread

Israfael

Arcane
- Focus archer.
Archers are a cancer in this game, what's funny, I don't get the lore reasons for their OPness, it's not medieval times, they don't have english longbows, ffs :outrage:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Well once you put some effort into your party (upgrade Barik's armor, get Sirin/Eb, some spells like I-win button Frozen Ground) PoTD is the same as any other difficulty. It's even easier than Dragon Age - at least that had enemies like ogres, spiders, wardogs, dragons, revenants, brood mothers. It's no PoE 3.0 either, no Adra dragon, White March, bounty hunters, lich fight, Morgwek Ien, etc.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Nothing can be more convincing than a video but why don't enemies in your game move when you Icicle Storm/Fulminate them? In my game they run around all the time so hitting 3 targets with the same cone is impossible.

I'm at Matani Sybil (Echocall Village boss) and I cannot repeat what you did in the video due to enemies always moving. Also how do you crit anything on PotD? I have 19 Finesse on my main and my rolls are still never in the crit range. Finally, why does you Icicle Storm proc Magefire?

So, any tips for mere mortals on how to to come a little bit closer to your godly performance?

Well, to add up on what was already answered: yeah, it's the frostfire sigil and it's absolutely awesome. It's hidded as a secret in one of the starting quests, I keep forgetting which. The Scarlet Chorus one that Lantry deciphers, I think. Enemies don't move because they're hit by the magefire, thus they stay to burn. Initial cone is easier to hit as they run towards you so you just place the template to intercept them.

As for the crits - well, the formulae of the Tyranny seem to have their equivalent to the natural 20 - generally, even if your accuracy is below, you still have 5% to land a critical. And Storm hits 7 times, meaning that the odds for the crits are pretty decent. Also, enemies often have really uneven defenses, meaning that they'll be uber-protected from one approach but pretty vulnerable to another, making crits quite realistic.

I also tend to prioritize the size of my templates over anything else (especially on the stunning spells) so it's much easier to hit moving or spread out targets.

PC is throwing that does maybe 15 damage a round with maxed might. :argh: while random rogue does 20-30 regularly.

So the conclusion is basically play mage to complete PotD?

Well, I prefer my throwers as semi-tanks, with shield, shield talents & aggro aura. Also, do you have enough DoTs? By this stage, you're supposed to have the poisoned dart and that line bleeding attack and while your basic attack is crap, those two are pretty powerful.

MrMarbles

Cipher
22 hours in and getting seriously annoyed. Every situation where I think "Finally, time to sweet-talk/finesse your way out of it with those nice subterfuge/lore stats" ends up in the same dialogue choice: attack. Every. Time. Because of the cartoonishly shitty choice to lock locations sequentially - go to A to unlock B, go to B to unlock C - you have almost no freedom and very little way of planning encounters or conversations.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Where do you get the third etching for the Sunset Spire? Do I have to talk to someone in town?

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Where do you get the third etching for the Sunset Spire? Do I have to talk to someone in town?

There's none in the town

iirc you just keep plunging through the area dungeons, you should have all of them once you complete the area. The pattern for the twin stone plains spires is vertically mirrored as well I think

Lacrymas

Arcane
There's none in the town

iirc you just keep plunging through the area dungeons, you should have all of them once you complete the area. The pattern for the twin stone plains spires is vertically mirrored as well I think

Ah, so I have to open the doors with the seal the old man will give me when I complete his Bane request?

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
oh wait yeah sun sets in the west, sun rises in the east. Yeah the sunset spire you get the third after going through the plotline for the village area, which comes later in the game, you don't get it as soon as you exit the starting area and doing the first edict thing. So it'll be awhile away unless you've got the journal entries involving visiting the chief forge master and the chief of the village.

The closed doors in the dungeon are not ones you open, they're the exit path shortcut from the end point of the quest from the entire region, the chief doesn't open them for you. Once you have a quest from your major faction NPC directing you to that area you'll go to the chief, and the chief sends you through a bunch of other areas doing a bunch of other questing shenanigans which eventually leads to you ending up on the other side of those doors. But technically you don't unlock that spire until much later in the game, unless you guess the pattern from 2/3 which is bloody hard.

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
A minority-white, multicultural hellscape
That fucking ascension hall battle is lols.

4 people against 3 archers and 3 mages Fifth Eye. How the fuck is this even possible.

EDIT: Just beat it. I think it was luck, a timely stasis shield potion fight before my PC got stunned, and the enemy wasted everything on that stasis.

Fucking game.

Last edited:

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
That fucking ascension hall battle is lols.

4 people against 3 archers and 3 mages Fifth Eye. How the fuck is this even possible.

EDIT: Just beat it. I think it was luck, a timely stasis shield potion fight before my PC got stunned, and the enemy wasted everything on that stasis.

Fucking game.

Lore/athletics/subterfuge check = 2 people less to fight.

gunman

Arcane
Developer
I haven't bought this (seems too expensive now) but from partially reading this thread it looks like Baldur's Gate > PoE > Tyranny

Mychkine

Educated
I would disagree. I find Tyranny more enjoyable than POE main campaign, more enjoyable than Baldur's Gate 1 but still inferior to BG2. Tyranny gets good writing, interesting C&C (of the fluffy and of the really interesting kind), even if AOD is still much better on this aspect.

I also liked the combat system (I play on hard). It needs a little bit of micromanaging, but it is rather complete and, imo, much better than AD&D 2e combat. Still, like I though in POE, a turn based system wouldn't have been that much difficult to implement and may have fitted the system better.

So Tyranny is making me quite optimisitc about the future of RTwP RPG, and eager to see if they finally can acheive greatness with their next titles.

circ

Arcane
Think you mean - Baldur's Gate >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Poe >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Tyranny

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Here's how often each background unlocks a unique line of dialogue throughout the game:

41 - Hunter
19 - Soldier
17 - Guild Apprentice
15 - Diplomat
11 - Pit Fighter
11 - Noble Scion
8 - War Mage
6 - Lawbreaker

Sizzle

Arcane
A blue blowing wind? A guffaw sounding green, leathery, mildewy? Who. The. Fuck. Writes. This. Shit.

Just to give it a bit of context - Lantry's inks are drugs. What the player is experiencing in that conversation is an LSD-like trip.

It's still very purple prose-ish, but there is a reason why it's written like that.

Israfael

Arcane
I think most of reactivity problems with Tyranny stem from the engine. If you think of it, Arcanum, despite being more than 15 years old, had more companion interactions / effects on the world / somewhat better c&c while still being 2d and not that different from PoE / Tranny in looks (also, RTWP, lol). Companions always interjected into dialogues, reacted to various things (I remember Magnus vs slums thing, it was hilarious), left you of their own volition and did other stuff you expected them to react to. Tyranny is much better in this department than PoE, but still not quite up to the mark. I don't really know why they would not implement all this (if Tim Caine could do it 15 years ago, why not now), apart from the engine limitations or willful drive to make games a-la Storm of Zehir or a mediocre IWD-clone with a faceless and bland companions and largely static world.

Mei Scarlet

Novice
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
unless you guess the pattern from 2/3 which is bloody hard.
Isn't it always mirrored? I went to the crossing right after the first act (since Tunon told me about problems with iron) got stuck with 2 parts, closed doors and no way to ask the chief guy to open them and then just went and activated the spire. The same with one of the spires in the stone region.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
I think most of reactivity problems with Tyranny stem from the engine. If you think of it, Arcanum, despite being more than 15 years old, had more companion interactions / effects on the world / somewhat better c&c while still being 2d and not that different from PoE / Tranny in looks (also, RTWP, lol). Companions always interjected into dialogues, reacted to various things (I remember Magnus vs slums thing, it was hilarious), left you of their own volition and did other stuff you expected them to react to. Tyranny is much better in this department than PoE, but still not quite up to the mark. I don't really know why they would not implement all this (if Tim Caine could do it 15 years ago, why not now), apart from the engine limitations or willful drive to make games a-la Storm of Zehir or a mediocre IWD-clone with a faceless and bland companions and largely static world.

No matter what you think of the actual quality, the idea that Arcanum companions had more interjections and overall content than Tyranny's is just... :retarded:

Verse, Barik, or Lantry probably have more interjections, observations, and dialogue in general than all of Arcanum's party members combined.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Arcanum's companions are barely individuals, they are more like puppets.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom