Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tyranny + Bastard's Wound Expansion Thread

cruelio

Augur
If you struggled to do damage as a mage on hard you were doing it wrong. My party was mage mc, beast girl, the sage, and Sirin. I do not know what unique abilities the other three people had because my mage mc killed everything by herself while the hp sponge beast tanked with heals from the sage. Oh I did know the sage haste because that made my mage kill everything even faster.

As for PotD, that's the retard mode for retards. What do you expect? "Wow the mode where every enemy has inflated stats is stupid, shocking stuff."

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The gap between PotD and hard is probably too large tbh. It was an even bigger problem for PoE, but the mid game and lategame should be much more difficult, while the hard early game is about right.

cruelio

Augur
My only problems with this game were:

- It just ends out of nowhere, a return to form for Obisidan after releasing games that actually had endings
- Not dedicated enough to its gimmick of being a judge of an evil empire, few moments where you could be one were great
- Vanilla PoE combat issues such as lack of enemy variety, copy pasted mobs and lack of varied setups

Was an obvious transitional effort between PoE 1 and 2 but it did some things I would like to see in PoE 2

jungl

Augur
I think mainstream crpg developers are too focused on story. I want to see obsidian do a game that is story lite, open world isometric still baldurs gate like, lore that is not thrown in your face in texts of paragraphs, have it be more subtle like dark souls. Focus on small stories but still have their be a main plot. Basically the opposite what they do now with their games.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Looking at the game files, it turns out that all the skill checks are level scaled. Hardly a surprise, but it's a highly unusual design choice; not even Fallout 3 did that.
This is common practice in PnP so I don't see a problem. People mistake well done level scaling with badly done level scaling. BG2 had good one, Oblivion and Skyrim had terrible.
Common practice in bad games/groups.
Nope. Bad practice is letting players get bored because of lack of challenge.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Don't see why you need to make guesses based on number of concurrent players when Steamspy data will converge in a day or two. It's already got ~50k there.

Looks like the time has come:

kbmBkRf.png

I imagine that ~85k copies within the first week counts as a major success for Paradox; Tyranny has evidently had a very modest budget, and the marketing expenses must have been minimal. They're probably way past their break-even point already.

The sales numbers are already ahead of March of the Eagles and stand poised to beat Sengoku in a few months' time; RPG competitors like AoD and Underrail have been left in the dust.

Last edited:

MuscleSpark

Augur
Patron
... stand poised to beat Sengoku in a few months' time.
Ugh. Tyranny might be rushed, half-baked, lack intelligence in exposition and encounter design but it is God's gift to mankind in comparison to Sengoku.
For all its faults Tyranny was at least somewhat interesting and enjoyable.

Starwars

Arcane
Spoiler-ish question about one of the most awful, railroady type things in the game:

I went with the Chorus on my playthrough. And the mission where you find out that Graven Ashe's daughter has a child... Well, finding that out was actually one of my most favorite things in the game, genuinely cool setup. BUT, is there any way to do anything meaningful with the child? I was expected to be presented with a gang of options here, like killing it, taking it for yourself, etc... but, the game basically railroaded me into giving it to the Voices of Nerat. Is there any way to do anything else with the child or is that just doomed to happen because of what "path" you happen to be on?

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Spoiler-ish question about one of the most awful, railroady type things in the game:

I went with the Chorus on my playthrough. And the mission where you find out that Graven Ashe's daughter has a child... Well, finding that out was actually one of my most favorite things in the game, genuinely cool setup. BUT, is there any way to do anything meaningful with the child? I was expected to be presented with a gang of options here, like killing it, taking it for yourself, etc... but, the game basically railroaded me into giving it to the Voices of Nerat. Is there any way to do anything else with the child or is that just doomed to happen because of what "path" you happen to be on?

On disfavored path you can kill the baby or legal loophole out of it by telling the mom to renounce the throne

Sizzle

Arcane

On disfavored path you can kill the baby or legal loophole out of it by telling the mom to renounce the throne

It's the same with the Individual path, and probably the Rebel path as well. The two paths it makes the most sense to have extra content around this are the Disfavored (bring Ashe's daughter home), and the Chorus (use the child against him).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Indeed, Tyranny systematically hides enemy health numbers. You just see five pips that each signify 20% of max health.

There's no bestiary either, but enemy variety is so limited that the game doesn't need one.

One can guesstimate it using the combat log. I did that with the IE games at times.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's obvious from the amount of punishment they can take. Some fights (like the last one in Ascension Hall) seem "hard" (they aren't) because there are THREE mages in that fight who spam their shit without any penalty and take forever to take down. Once one or two are dead it's a cakewalk.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Well, knockdown spammers don't help either... Or fear casters. But Disfavored tanks getting 30 HP every few seconds are just ridiculous (guess I need that high Disfavoured Wrath skill).

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
In theory. But does he get that bonus? Not sure. I've found him pretty useless anyway. Goes down way too fast. Finesse tanking with buff support is far superior.

Lacrymas

Arcane
That could've been used as his excuse to betray Ashe if you side with the Chorus, i.e. he's the only soldier who isn't getting his protection for whatever reason, could be tied to that armor of his, but he doesn't know it. Story and mechanic symbiosis, woo! Too bad Obsidian didn't figure that one out.

Mei Scarlet

Novice
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
In one of the conversations with Barik he tells you that he actually feels better and more accustomed to his armor while simultaniously feeling strange. Also less smell. That was after some strange comments about his condition from Ashe. I gathered that he is actually dead under that armor and that would be cool but all of the companions quests were obviosly shafted to DLC's.
Verse's connection to Nerat's soul-catching ability too.

Lacrymas

Arcane
He can't be dead and still have his bodily functions, which was made perfectly clear that he has.

Mei Scarlet

Novice
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Well, not exacty dead but something abnormal was definitely going inside that suit of armor which you somehow can reforge without taking it off.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
He is connected with his armour via landscape-changing magical nuke that is an Edict. Don't you think that he being dead is possible in light of such facts...?

Sizzle

Arcane
Maybe the Edict, coupled with Ashe's regeneration power, resulted in some unique condition for Barik. I mean, even more unique than now. That could also explain why he doesn't get any regeneration from Ashe.

Would have been interesting if that was followed through in the game, but I'm still hoping it will in future DLCs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom