Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Two page KOTOR2 interview at IGN... about lightsabers

Spazmo

Erudite
If they have guys blocking lightsabers with their hands, I'm going to go punch Volourn in the face.

He's unrelated, I know, but hey, I've got his address and I'll be really pissed, so why not?

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Maybe after getting the lightsabre it won't perform at its full force. To activate it, near the end of the game, you will need to find 4 batteries hidden on 4 totally different (desert/forest/water/mountain) planets. You can search for batteries in any order and that's why the game is nonlinear.

notext

Novice
I'm hoping that we're going to have lightsabers that go through anything, including each other. That'd be brilliant!

Azael said:
It doesn't have to be that way though, you could for example replace the blocking animation with dodging ones, which wouldn't be as hurtful to Star Wars lore.

Funnily enough, I often use the same argument to demonstrate why swords blocking sabers is a good thing.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
notext said:
Azael said:
It doesn't have to be that way though, you could for example replace the blocking animation with dodging ones, which wouldn't be as hurtful to Star Wars lore.

Funnily enough, I often use the same argument to demonstrate why swords blocking sabers is a good thing.
Come now, no need to lie. It's clear that you are too stupid to make an argument, so don't claim that you can use one.

Edit: What else can you expect from an AOL user?

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
I was hoping they would make the lightsabers be your health potions and you'd have to swallow them when low on health. That would be cool.

Or stick 'em up your butt like a suppository. That'd be funny.

Edit: See what no sleep does to your mind, boys and girls? :shock:

Ortchel

Liturgist
Maybe after getting the lightsabre it won't perform at its full force. To activate it, near the end of the game, you will need to find 4 batteries hidden on 4 totally different (desert/forest/water/mountain) planets. You can search for batteries in any order and that's why the game is nonlinear.

No, not water, ICE, it's ICE.

That was an awesome post. I got wacky flashbacks of King's Quest 8.

notext

Novice
Because I'm of the opinion that the close range "dodging" animations looked twice as silly as the swords parrying lightsabers - the "extremely slow standing duck" was a classic. Given the choice between stupid and stupid, I prefer the stupid that actually looks like the characters are fighting.

KOTOR isn't the first Star Wars game to break this bit of canon, so to be honest it doesn't bother me that much. But then, I couldn't care less about SW canon anyway. I just find the arguments that surround this amusing.

Vault Dweller said:
Edit: What else can you expect from an AOL user?

Come again? That was a bit premature, etc etc.

Edit - do you mean the e-mail I registered with? Do you seriously use a current e-mail address whenever you sign up to stuff? That's pretty funny.

Vault Dweller

Developer
notext said:
Given the choice between stupid and stupid, I prefer the stupid that actually looks like the characters are fighting.
Then we have different definitions of stupid, because when a tribal blocks lightsabers with a wooden stick, that's as stupid as it gets, while there is nothing wrong with dodging.

Come again? That was a bit premature, etc etc.
Was it? AOL users are notoriously stupid after all.

Edit - do you mean the e-mail I registered with? Do you seriously use a current e-mail address whenever you sign up to stuff? That's pretty funny.
Yeah, let's play cool now: '"I like totally have many accounts, and I like never use my bestest and the most secret account to sign up for stuff 'cause it's like totally lame" :roll: Suffice to say, you have one.

kumquatq3

Liturgist
The thought is that unarmed will be much like blaster combat. Unless my memory is fired, you couldn't "block" anything with a blaster, just "dodge".

So I assume that you won't be able to" block", but you can "dodge" and unarmed combat might even give you a bonus in that regard. On top of that I think there will prolly be feats and such to make your guy an uber-dodging ninja type guy. Which kinda, to be honest, still seems a bit weird in terms of Star Wars canon. It is more choices tho.

notext

Novice
Vault Dweller said:
notext said:
Given the choice between stupid and stupid, I prefer the stupid that actually looks like the characters are fighting.
Then we have different definitions of stupid, because when a tribal blocks lightsabers with a wooden stick, that's as stupid as it gets, while there is nothing wrong with dodging.

I guess we do. As I said, I find that gaffi sticks blocking lightsabers, whilst dumb if you give a fuck about that kind of thing and don't believe this part of the canon to have already been (sadly) contradicted in an earlier star wars game, looks somewhat less silly than a standing dodge that hardly even appears to dodge the attack.

On a more constructive note, some kind of sundering ability would have made lightsaber combat more interesting... especially if you had jedi using it against you early on in the game. Still, I guess it's a bit late to be worrying about that.

Yeah, let's play cool now: '"I like totally have many accounts, and I like never use my bestest and the most secret account to sign up for stuff 'cause it's like totally lame" :roll: Suffice to say, you have one.

I'm sorry - are you (incorrectly) criticising me of having only one e-mail account, or are you criticising me for having one AOL address (not "account", as you put it)? Shooting down this desperate line of argument would be far quicker if you had formulated it properly. Suffice to say, if you believe that having more than one e-mail address is some kind of status symbol then you're seriously mistaken.

Vault Dweller

Developer
notext said:
As I said, I find that gaffi sticks blocking lightsabers, whilst dumb if you give a fuck about that kind of thing and don't believe this part of the canon to have already been (sadly) contradicted in an earlier star wars game, looks somewhat less silly than a standing dodge that hardly even appears to dodge the attack.
Well, considering all the acrobatics that was in the first game, I don't think it's a big deal to make a proper dodging animation.

I'm sorry - are you (incorrectly) criticising me of having only one e-mail account, or are you criticising me for having one AOL address (not "account", as you put it)?
That would be the AOL thing, but feel free to disregard it now. I made that comment after you posted something without bothering to explain your position. Now that you are actually communicating, there is no need for insults. :wink:

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
notext said:
I guess we do. As I said, I find that gaffi sticks blocking lightsabers, whilst dumb if you give a fuck about that kind of thing and don't believe this part of the canon to have already been (sadly) contradicted in an earlier star wars game, looks somewhat less silly than a standing dodge that hardly even appears to dodge the attack.

I'm sorry I have to disagree. It is easily possible to make an animation that appears to dodge an attack. It would likely require the use of kinematics or inverse kinematics. Having a gaffi stick block a lightsaber on the other hand is UTTERLY ridiculous. You might as well have people in a medieval type game block swords with paper.

notext said:

I'm sorry - are you (incorrectly) criticising me of having only one e-mail account, or are you criticising me for having one AOL address (not "account", as you put it)? Shooting down this desperate line of argument would be far quicker if you had formulated it properly. Suffice to say, if you believe that having more than one e-mail address is some kind of status symbol then you're seriously mistaken.

You really are dense aren't you. I don't know where your whole argument is coming from, but let's break down what VD said. He first made a sarcastic comment saying you are trying to downplay the fact that you have a AOL account by claiming it is not your only account. Then goes on to say that despite the fact you are trying to downplay your AOL account, you do in fact have one. What in there don't you understand. It's quite obvious to us not on acid. Quit the drugs man, they're ruining your brain.

notext

Novice
Vault Dweller said:
Well, considering all the acrobatics that was in the first game, I don't think it's a big deal to make a proper dodging animation.

Yeah, I'd have thought so too... although I suppose that I'm quite hard to please in this regard. I guess I'm more of an animation nazi than a star wars fan.

Oh, and don't worry - I've been lurking here for a while, and I completely expected to be insulted within a few posts, given some of my views. It's just that, man, you called me an AOL user. I guess there are some things you can't prepare yourself for, eh? :)

dojoteef said:
He first made a sarcastic comment saying you are trying to downplay the fact that you have a AOL account

Can't you read? I don't have an AOL account. I never have had an AOL account. That would imply that I paid for the fucking thing. I have an AOL address which I haven't really used as more than a wastebin for about 5 years, which still exists despite various efforts to convince my parents to stop wasting their money. Still, I haven't lived at home for a while now, so it's not really my concern. Does that explain my position well enough for you?

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
notext said:
Can't you read? I don't have an AOL account. I never have had an AOL account. That would imply that I paid for the fucking thing. I have an AOL address which I haven't really used as more than a wastebin for about 5 years, which still exists despite various efforts to convince my parents to stop wasting their money. Still, I haven't lived at home for a while now, so it's not really my concern. Does that explain my position well enough for you?

Well now that you mention it's your parents account and you don't have anything to do with it, that's a different story. I thought you were using more side-stepping trying to claim you could get an AOL email address without having an AOL account. :D.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom