Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TWitcher 2, the general Codex rating

Hit or shit?

• 5 - Deserves to be an extension to the Holy RPG Trinity. :potatopower:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 - Awesome game, one of the best in the genre.

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • 2 - Banalshitboring mediocrity, CoD with swords. :skyway:

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • 1 - Worse than Arcania.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Didn't play. Won't play. :kingcomrade:

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

Suchy

Arcane
Still haven't finished, I'm in the Act 2, so I'm judging what I've played through. And so far it's a damn good game.
Good writing; it's been a while since I enjoyed dialogues that much. Finally memorable characters with personality. Great quest design, with multiple ways of solving them and multiple outcomes. No fedex crap and even monster hunting tasks are more than the typical kill x of y. Probably the best implementation of C&C so far, the fact that the entire Act 2 is completely differnet, based on what you did earlier, is quite impressive. The story also stays away from clichés and avoids unnecessary and overdone epicness. I'm a story fag and this game tickles me where I like it.
I like the combat - even though it's entirely arcade, it still manages to be rather tactical (playing on hard). Often requires preparation, use of traps, petards and signs. Definitely not a mindless clickfest.
Voice acting is mostly good, but there are some miscasts. Sometimes it sounds too theatrical and overly dramatic. More suitable to an audiobook reading, not a conversation. Bloodlines did it better. I started in Polish, then switched to English - I'd say it's basically on the same level. After all I'm playing back in Polish, but my second playthrough will be fully in English.

The game has some weak sides too. The prologue was a typical nextgen linear crap with completely unnecessary QTE's. Why the fuck do I need to click repeatedly to open a gate or load a ballista? It doesn't add anything and is just annoying. Fortunatly QTE's during the cutscenes can be disabled (except the clicking crap).
There are also some technical glitches lke sometimes unresponsive controls and bad targetting during combat. The game areas are pretty huge and simply beg for more freedom of movement, like jumping and climbing a'la Gothic, but still a small fence is an obstacle that requires you to find a way around. Oh, and I hate that the bodies disappear after a few seconds. Why the hell do I need to spam 'z', just to find a tiny lootbag completely invisible in the foliage?

I haven't noticed any bugs worth mentioning, just some small things like an NPC getting stuck for a moment or a misplaced sound, nothing game breaking nor annoying. No crashes so far. QA really did their job this time, especially when compared to pretty much any other moderately recent game.

Overall it's a solid 4/5 for me. I can look past the annoyances and simply enjoy the good game it is. Fortunately the linear prologue was short enough not to put me off. I'd put it right next to Bloodlines nd Gothic 2, or maybe even above. There's no other action RPG I'd rate higher than 4, according to my scale.

EDIT:
By 'one of the best in the genre' option I mean action RPGs - this seemed confusing.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I agree with everything on your post, gave it a 4.

Twitcher 2 has many flaws but It is a good game. it ain't getting much better than this on the CRPG genre, it's the sad truth. Either embrace the new shit or go back to replay something for the 413rd time.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I think it's an extremely well-made title, with a huge amount of passion and dedication poured into it - it really shows what a small but focused team is able to do on a relatively low budget if they're simply driven to do something they believe in, and I think it serves as a lesson to the game industry at large. All things considered it's an excellent title - sure, you can nitpick aspects of it (interface, combat system, etc.) but I don't think there's any denying that it's still well above average for the games industry, and certainly far beyond the level of many of CD Projekt's contemporaries.

When it comes to where it stands in whatever canon we might define for RPGs, I think the answer is a little hazier... I don't know if it will be remembered for years and years to come as "the one true RPG", but I think it firmly cements CD Projekt RED as a talented developer, and proves they didn't just get lucky with the first game's success. Whether or not it even can be considered a "real" RPG is also difficult, but of course depends on how strict you want to be with your definition. By modern standards, though, I think it's definitely one of the better RPG-like games we've had in the last five or so years.

wanted to give 3 but misclicked and gave 2 :rage:

definetly not next genre mesiah but still much better than the first one. even with that retarded constant rolling and fucked up QTE its best action/adventure game with crpg elements in years...
i liked me 2 more cause i could play on high settings instead of low with 15-20fps :troll:

for once i feel proud for being potato on codex

MMXI

Arcane
It's a good game for storyfags and actionfags, but as I'm just an ordinary fag I'll have to go with the Skyway option. :M

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
sea said:
it really shows what a small but focused team is able to do on a relatively low budget if they're simply driven to do something they believe in, and I think it serves as a lesson to the game industry at large.
Over 100 people worked on it, that's not a small team. It's not exactly low budget either, given CD Projekt's financial difficulties.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Like metacritic user scores, one sometimes has to exaggerate a bit to counter troll and butthurt scoring. Even with that in mind I would rate TW2 at 4.5 at least if not even higher. I will round it up to 5 though because for me it's the ARPG that has finally knocked Gothic off its perch. Best ARPG ever.

@ roguey

What have financial difficulties to do with TW2 not having a small budget? A small budget is a small budget, whether the company has made a billion dollar profit or a billion dollar loss. TW2 had a budget of around 9-11 million dollars. DA2 had a budget reportedly around 40+ million mark(though that's notoriously unreliable, it's pretty much a given that it would be at least several times more than CDPR's budget). So for 1/4 the cost of DA2, CDPR made something that fucking annihilates that Bioware turd.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Story, graphics and characters are better than TW1, but on the other hand it lacks chest, the combat is real time whackamole (although dificult one). Chapter 3 is too short and ending is disapointing. I wish I coud play TW2 on Crisis 1 engine it woud look as awesome and play 3 times faster. Only the bugs feel the same. 4/5 which means very good one but flawed.

Black_Willow

Arcane
Commissar Draco said:
I wish I coud play TW2 on Crisis 1 engine it woud look as awesome and play 3 times faster.

I'm not sure if it would look THAT good. IMO TW2 looks better (which makes it the prettiest game at the moment).

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Roguey said:
sea said:
it really shows what a small but focused team is able to do on a relatively low budget if they're simply driven to do something they believe in, and I think it serves as a lesson to the game industry at large.
Over 100 people worked on it, that's not a small team. It's not exactly low budget either, given CD Projekt's financial difficulties.
Are you serious? I could have sworn they were like 50 people and around $7-10 million for budget, which is actually pretty low by today's standards for a relatively mainstream title. Are we talking CD Projekt as a whole, or just the RED division?

Either way, compared to the bloated size of many dev teams, 100ish people still isn't that big to be honest. Titles like Assassin's Creed and Grand Theft Auto have teams in the 500-1000 range, with additional outsourcing.

Thoric

Novice
Solid 4/5.

Though if they patch it and release a really good expansion i'd give it a 5.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm not going to bother playing it. The first one left too sour of a taste in my mouth.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
sea said:
Are you serious? I could have sworn they were like 50 people and around $7-10 million for budget, which is actually pretty low by today's standards for a relatively mainstream title. Are we talking CD Projekt as a whole, or just the RED division?

Either way, compared to the bloated size of many dev teams, 100ish people still isn't that big to be honest. Titles like Assassin's Creed and Grand Theft Auto have teams in the 500-1000 range, with additional outsourcing.
I'm going by what I saw in that one image, but over 100 worked on The Witcher (check the credits) so it's reasonable to expect a similar sized-team for the second one. Roughly the same team-size as DA2. Also
The average development budget for a multiplatform next-gen game is $18-$28 million, according to new data.

A study by entertainment analyst group M2 Research also puts development costs for single-platform projects at an averge of $10 million.
That would make it average. Not small.

Edit: For comparison, Risen had a team of about 30, Divinity 2 had about 60. Those would be the small-budget, small team games. Witcher 2's thoroughly middle-of-the-road.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Voted 3, OK overall, but nothing special.

Expect a serious review as soon as I've stocked my medical cabinet.

Not really into aRPG's and i uninstalled it just after doing some gfx tweaks, and finding out it looked shit on my rig.
It seems really well made though.
I gave it a 3.

EDIT:
Should probably have voted "Didn't play. Won't play."

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
PROS
Flashy graphics, nice cutscenes, gray morale areas and tits.
These PROS basically account for nothing in my books.

CONS
Shit combat.
Unless you play the first one the characters are not interesting nor is the plot.
Geralt or whatever is a huge over-grim fag.
Lags on my computer even though graphic settings are so low it looks like Morrowind.

I guess it's a good action RPG? It's not exceptional.
Voted 2 but should probably have voted 3.
The Witcher 1 was a 1. ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom