Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Twitcher 1 was better than Twitcher 2

Gerrard

Arcane
First game had better atmosphere, graphics be damned, the music contributed way more. Which is a shame, because Adam Skorupa said in an interview that people would find the music in TW2 to be improved and "if not better, than at least as good as the first game".

I don't know if next games will be less epic. We will be going to Nilfgaard for sure, and epic shit is going down already by the time the game ends.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
odrzut said:
Mrowak said:
Goddamn, I will never forgive CDP what they did to the Wild Hunt. :x

If you mean that:

(Sapkowski books spoiler)
they are special ops squad of racist time traveling elves from other dimension, where it was elves who won the civilization race and gone all Nazi on other races.

Then it's not CDPR, but Sapkowski, who did this.

Lolwut, so they're WH40K eldar?

Seolas

Liturgist
I agree that Twitcher 1 had a more peculiar atmosphere than the sequel that I really liked, but Twitcher 2 is a better overall game I feel. It feels less content packed to me but only because you aren't bombarded with fed-ex quests this time ("get 10 wyvern penises" etc.). They are gonna release more free DLC for Twitcher 2 also so in a year or two it'll probably be an even bigger game. The troll DLC was decent enough, even if not close to the "as much as 90 minutes of play time" pimped by the devs.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Witcher is closer to WH40K than WH in grimdark world of Witcher there is only war and contempt. Apropo Why Nilfgaard is called the Evil Empire in reviews? Fotest was Prick but was most decent of all Nordling kings the Henselt being more typical, I'm not Scoiatel fan either (I was :lol: reading people calling them freedomfighters) It's just fun to see even Codexer brainwashed by forty years of leftard indoctrination (and 200 hundred of liberal propagand). Nice to see that not betreying Roche lead to optimal ending btw.

What happens when you leave bastard princess with Natalis instead of Radovid and spare Dragon, I hope they didn't cut the ending to DLC.

Captain Shrek

Commissar Draco said:
What happens when you leave bastard princess with Natalis instead of Radovid and spare Dragon, I hope they didn't cut the ending to DLC.

No idea. That part is still up for grabs. I smell a sequel. Following things will be resolved I guess:

Fate of Temeria. Fate of Saskia (who is still under a spell in your playthrough. Second War between North and South, with South having now a clear advantage (unless Geralt's words ring true). Fate of Yennefer. She was the original source of information to the Nilfgaard fort he Lodge. Did you leave Letho alive or not, btw?

My final choices are: 1) Siding with Roche 2) Not killing Henselt 3) Saving Aryan 4) Sparing Sile 5) Sparing Dragon (Saskia) 6) Giving the child queen Anais to Roche. 7) Sparing Letho 8) Relieving Iorweth instead of pursuing Sile

Pablosdog

Prophet
For fucks sake you fight mortal kombat rejects(the mutants) and go back in time to fight cavemen. AND THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE GRITTY DARK FANTASY. LOL

I enjoyed the witcher one, but chapters 1 and 5 were derp tastic.

Pablosdog

Prophet
DraQ said:
Pablosdog said:
and go back in time to fight cavemen.
Pablosdog failed his INT roll and went full derp.
:retarded:

It's a wild hunt vision, I Know. Still, it was a pretty shit area. I got confused when i read the wiki of it because the cavemen were a part of the witcher world's past. It doesn't make a lot of sense for man to revert to it in a future vision.

1eyedking

Erudite
I still don't know what to make of TW2.

It's still got some intelligent moments, like
in the Act 1 quest where a she-elf asks for your help, and you decide to find the missing soldiers she supposedly led to a cave: you go inside it, fight some Nekkers and finally find the two bodies petered by arrows and a locked nearby trapdoor leading up to a nearby part of town (you can't make it out in the minimap). When you invade Loredo's kip in the end you find that a trapdoor that was previously locked during the sneak scene is now unlocked, and when you descend you find out that even though there's a cave-in, it's exactly the same cave you found the bodies in! The bastard is seeding more terror unto the population by blaming the Scoia'tel, thus exploiting Flotsam's situation. Awesome.
The dialogues are pretty cool, too, with a lot of comments and observations about human behavior that are spot-on. Dandelion/Jaskier writing all of the journal entries was a nice touch, and some of his comments are quite humorous given the context (he for examples says 'Geralt demanded payment for his services, as was his custom' when in fact you mugged some poor unarmed peasants after having saved their lives - Geralt's always a hero despite being a total ass :lol: ). Polish voice-over seems to be top-notch, you can actually hear the voice-actors breathing, panting and stumbling upon words so it's a joy to listen to them as well (even though I can't understand shit of their potato-speak, the character's overall feelings get through perfectly).

As for the plot, well it's got all of these ZOMG POLITICAL PLOT TWISTS that feel so tacky and forced it's actually disgusting, but at least it's no HAHAHA LOL ALVIN IS THE GRANDMASTER crap from TW1. It's obviously more epic this time around, but it's also less pulpy (no A FUCKING ARMY MADE OF MUTANTS, FUCK YEAH CHARLES XAVIER this time around).

TW2 is also fucking extremely short when compared to the first, about one third the length.

Art direction took a severe hit, though, and here's where I'm definitely inclined to say TW1 > TW2. That hazy, folkish feeling of the first's first four acts is nowhere to be found in TW2 and fuck if they had the perfect setting for such a thing (Flotsam). Monster entries are lame, so is their design and number, and they're no longer as involved in human affairs as they were before. MEDITATE ANYWHERE sucks, but I can understand since they completely fucked up potion consumption. Aesthetic design is downright atrocious at times and straight out of some cheap LOTR flick (costumes [yeah, costumes] are hilarious, monsters are so adorned in design you can't actually figure out their general anatomy, fuck yeah synthol mercenaries, fuck yeah geometric dwarves, etc.). At least there are no swords caught on fire like in Dragon Age.

Commissar Draco

Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ithlinne's Prophecy

"An old elven prophecy about the end of the world: "The Wolf's Blizzard approaches, the time of the sword and axe. The Time of the White Frost and White Light, the Time of Madness and Disdain, Tedd Deireadh, the Final Age. The world will perish amidst ice and be reborn with the new sun. Reborn of the Elder Blood, of Hen Ichaer, of a planted seed. A seed that will not sprout but burst into flames!"

Ithlinne, an elven prophetess, is famous for her foretelling of the end of the world. According to her prophecy, the world will be destroyed by an ice age and all humans will die. The only survivors will be elves, saved by an offspring of the Elder Blood, known also as the Swallow. Several signs will herald the destruction of the world, and the cataclysm will begin when elven blood soaks the earth. This will mark the advent of the 'Time of Disdain, the Axe and the Wolf's Blizzard', which can be interpreted as a long war or a return to barbarism."

Global climate change meets Ragnarock. :lol: The cavemen were vision of future.

My choices for 1st playthrou were: 1) Siding with Roche 2) killing Henselt 3) killing Aryan in solo duel 4) letting Sile die 5) raping... sorry sparing Dragon (Saskia) 6) Giving the child queen Anais to Radovit. 7) Killing Letho

My Witcher was one of collar grabing kind. And btw only people I didn't wished to die were Foltest, Triss, Roche and Ves the rest were bacstabing shits.

Pretty much what 1eyed said.

It's the lack of a "folkish" feel that makes Twitcher 2 an inferior game. And please take into consideration that the MAIN FUCKING JOB OF A WITCHER IS TO HUNT MONSTERS, hence why I think that the FedEx-style missions in the first game just added to the feel. You could, theoretically, skip them... so... yeah, I just wish they had more of those in the second game (among other things) so that we could retain the illusion that we're The Witcher and not The Guy Who Nobs Women While Hunting Roid Ragers.

Commissar Draco

Patron
Let's hunt some rats while being wanted in all kingdoms for regicide not to mention the Lodge, Scoiatell, Nilfgaard and nazi specops Elves it's not Oblibion comrades this one is story driven. The armour and wepaons of NPCs is right this time no Temrrian knight woud go fighting in some ancient third crusade mail. Only :decline: is 30 suits for PC, but it'd thanks to all the bitching about not enough loot from Kwans. I ended the adventure wearing the same Roche jacket from the start.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Stereotypical Villain said:
Pretty much what 1eyed said.

It's the lack of a "folkish" feel that makes Twitcher 2 an inferior game.

Taken out of context, this sounds pretty gay. Why do I care about folkish feel? What do I care about your feelings? Games are not about aesthetics

Anyway I didn't play Twitcher 2, but I have to say, the combat in Twitcher1 is... fucking bad. This is the wrost arpg combat system I ever experienced. I just reinstalled the game, and I'm not sure I can get through this shit. This is bad. I don't see how Twitcher 2 could be any worst in terms of gameplay, and we are talking about games here, not the funny feelings you get when you look at a nice environment

Captain Shrek

Serious_Business said:
?What do I care about your feelings?

Wait for it.....

Anyway I didn't play Twitcher 2, but I have to say, the combat in Twitcher1 is... fucking bad. This is the wrost arpg combat system I ever experienced. I just reinstalled the game, and I'm not sure I can get through this shit. This is bad. I don't see how Twitcher 2 could be any worst in terms of gameplay, and we are talking about games here, not the funny feelings you get when you look at a nice environment

Serious_Business said:
?What do I care about your feelings?

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Mrowak said:
Goddamn, I will never forgive CDP what they did to the Wild Hunt. :x
wat?
Stereotypical Villain said:
It's the lack of a "folkish" feel
the witcher world isn't folkish, it's very modern. it is, in fact, a slightly outdated modern potatoland and its mostly justified butthurt about ww2 and ze nilf.. germans (and russians) pressed through a photoshopian "fantasy filter".
the first game was nice with the folkish feel, but it wasn't really like the books, only like some of the short stories, whereas the second game manages to capture the feeling of the books really fucking well.
MAIN FUCKING JOB OF A WITCHER IS TO HUNT MONSTERS
witchers are an ancient relic and a dying breed without any hope whatsoever of ever recovering from the pogrom that hit them. they cope with that in different ways. geralt is a stickler to the old ways, which is what gets him into the whole elder blood mess to begin with, other witchers chose to become murderers for hire or build up their own criminal syndicates.
the only "job" a witcher has is for death to follow him around.....
anyhoo
sided with roche, captured iorveth, who miraculously got freed without my help whatsoever. let foltest die while also coming to iorveths help, was supposedly allied with redania at the end but i chose to free triss from the fucking germans instead, while roche managed to free foltest daughter by himself, was outlawed, and protected the daughter himself without giving her up to anyone. helped sile, killed letho after long talk, killed the dragon 'coz it fucking looked like she was in pain and dying anyway, not for the reasons geralt states in the fucking game. heaps of fun.
overall it's a pretty awesome game, but really fucking bad rpg. gonna replay soon.
1eyedking said:
It's still got some intelligent moments, like
in the Act 1 quest where a she-elf asks for your help, and you decide to find the missing soldiers she supposedly led to a cave: you go inside it, fight some Nekkers and finally find the two bodies petered by arrows and a locked nearby trapdoor leading up to a nearby part of town (you can't make it out in the minimap). When you invade Loredo's kip in the end you find that a trapdoor that was previously locked during the sneak scene is now unlocked, and when you descend you find out that even though there's a cave-in, it's exactly the same cave you found the bodies in! The bastard is seeding more terror unto the population by blaming the Scoia'tel, thus exploiting Flotsam's situation. Awesome.
the bandits from the troll quest talk about her with some more background info. all the details in the first act were pretty cool, like the connection between that fucking racist traitor prick and the insane asylum.

made

Arcane
Mates, I have easy explanation for differences between the two games:

In TW1, CDPR was bound by the limitations of shitty Aurora engine, so had to make up for it with clever design and style.
In TW2, they have supreme RED engine which can do anything you can imagine and more, so whenever they thought "wouldn't it be cool if we could..." they could, so we got huge ass boss monsters, movie sequences everywhere, and generally epic feel.

Solution: CDPR must use Gamebryo for TW3 to find back to their old ways

1eyedking

Erudite
made said:
Mates, I have easy explanation for differences between the two games:

In TW1, CDPR was bound by the limitations of shitty Aurora engine, so had to make up for it with clever design and style.
In TW2, they have supreme RED engine which can do anything you can imagine and more, so whenever they thought "wouldn't it be cool if we could..." they could, so we got huge ass boss monsters, movie sequences everywhere, and generally epic feel.

Solution: CDPR must use Gamebryo for TW3 to find back to their old ways
This happens with everything. Being restrained (as in having fewer liberties) can sometimes be beneficial to an artist's opus.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom