Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Turn based strategy (or tactics) games with actually good music

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
Over the past week I have been trying out various newer TBS games (made after the year 2006), and out of the five I tried, only one had good music -- BBC Battle Academy. Sadly it was also the least immediately interesting game I tried of the five (though it's not necessarily a bad game, in fact it seems very good, just very conservatively designed).

When I look back, Civilization 4, Into the Breach and the much older Sega CD game Dark Wizard are the only other TBS games where I remember enjoying the music.

I know a lot of codexers enjoy the Chaos Gate and Fantasy General soundtracks, and I agree they're good, though I've not spent the longest amount of time with either game, and truth be told that type of music is not wholly my cup of tea (though I am more than happy for this kind of music to be mentioned ITT, as long as you like the music, please just call it out).

So, it seems to me the genre has a dearth of good music. Most games have simple, short and repetitive marches on loop, which are at best ignorable and at worst grating. So what are some TBS games which are exceptions to the rule, where the music is both good and enjoyable and in the context of playing the game?

Last edited:

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
I still haven't gotten around to playing Heroes 5. Heroes 2 and 3 had good soundtracks too. I was going to mention them in the OP, I remember now but then in the middle of typing I forgot about them.

tindrli

Arcane

also there was a song that one song in civilisation V i think.. when you enter modern era or something. It was jazz music.. could listen it for days

Last edited:

spectre

Arcane
Fucking Heroes of Might and Magic, man. In particular 2, but 3 gives me nostalgia.

I actually downloaded Mechanicus OST for personal use.

The Total War Soundtracks are at least listen-worthy.
The Medieval 2 menu theme is particularly awesome with chorus and organ.

Rome 2 main theme also sets that "the glory of Rome is eternal" mood.

Also, as much as I hate Civ6, the main menu theme is an earworm.
Then I try to actually play it and... gaaah.

Bonus:

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Fucking Heroes of Might and Magic, man. In particular 2, but 3 gives me nostalgia.

I actually downloaded Mechanicus OST for personal use.

The Total War Soundtracks are at least listen-worthy.
The Medieval 2 menu theme is particularly awesome with chorus and organ.

Rome 2 main theme also sets that "the glory of Rome is eternal" mood.

Also, as much as I hate Civ6, the main menu theme is an earworm.
Then I try to actually play it and... gaaah.

Bonus:

you should apologize for including paradox crap.
endless 4x games have very cute osts and so does sengoku rance

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hah, I was about to mention the lack of Chaos Gate soundtrack, but you covered it in the OC. Nevertheless, here are some parts of it :

What I really liked about it was that it genuinely felt like music they would play in universe.

Falksi

Arcane
The Langrisser games (Warsong + Langrisser 2) on the SEGA Megadrive have some belting tunes...

Both great games themselves too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom