Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Troika's post-apocalyptic screenshots at NMA!

suibhne

Erudite
The pics are obviously full 3D, probably with a free camera. Clearly a huge step beyond the ToEE engine, though I'd be surprised if Troika didn't recycle some code between the projects (just as they did between Arcanum and ToEE).

The pics are also mighty gorgeous.

Gromnir

Liturgist
doesn't look like a halberd at all... no spike or reverse pick or hammer.

a bardiche maybe.

HA! Good Fun!

Avin

Liturgist
... oh, but no, bethesda will give as a lovely fps real time shoot shoot shottie falloutie. next step is confirming thongs in da game.

Megatron

Liturgist
perhaps it's a halbeard because it's like a stick with a pointy axe thing on the end.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
Hei, Its the same guy! Yes, the same guy from Glenn's concepts. And I guess it is the same rifle with blade attached. Knowing that ammo could be scarce in PA setting (VanBuren), mealee/ranged combination makes sense. And it is reasonable from game development point of view - first character they produce - like for testing how concepts fit into real 3D engine - is the one from concepts, doubt they wouldnt use so detailed concept what is seen here - http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=36. And this thought some-how comforts me.

Though, it is not 50's apocalypse, because from concept you get different feeling. It wouldnt be modern apocalypse either...its something mixed and strange...like Arcanumish...maybe its Arcanum's world, just 200-300 years later. Liek alternative 50's...

Bobbin

Novice
I think it's the Garden Eden Construction Set put to good use ;)

Ausir

Arcane
I think I remember them saying some time ago that it's definitely not Gamma World. It's their own, brand new setting - that's why it's difficult for them to find a publisher.

Anonymous

Old 80s PnP game about post-apoc deserts with plants all over.

Voss

Erudite
And mutants. Lots and lots of mutants. With random tables. And of course, pure-blood humans who could use restricted tech. And, of course, more mutants.
Also a very odd system, even for a TSR D&D spin-off. Very campy. Based off the kind of sci-fi films that ended up on Mystery Science Theater 3000.
Intellligent mutant plants tended to eat people a lot, so they stick in the memory.

Someone has recently done a d20 (modern?) rulebook for it.
And all things considered, it'd be easier to find a publisher for an original setting rather than gamma world.

Seven

Erudite
In this world that you just described are humans kingshit, or are they lower in the food chain, also why do they have a restricted tech tree (When you say tech tree you're not referring to mental powers are you?)

GreenNight

Liturgist
Seven said:
I'm willing to admit that it MIGHT be a modifed TOEE engine, but how do you know for a fact that it is? I'm no programmer, so I wouldn't know about these things that's why I ask.
suibhne answered for me
suibhne said:
The pics are obviously full 3D, probably with a free camera. Clearly a huge step beyond the ToEE engine, though I'd be surprised if Troika didn't recycle some code between the projects (just as they did between Arcanum and ToEE).
And even before my post Spazmo says also something in this way. And well, being that TOEE engine was a modified Arcanum engine and incorporated 3D models why not 3D backgrounds in the next evolution?

Seven said:
It's Troika, we know that they can do story (arcanum), gameplay might be a little iffy though.
Yes, we know they can do story (arcanum) or gameplay (toee), but for the moment they haven't delivered both. That doesn't mean I don't trust them, but I don't think they are gods. They err much like you and me.

Seven said:
Give me a give reason why I or anyone should give them the benefit of the doubt given their previous comments and their previous games? But lets not turn this into a Bethesda thread, OK?
You give Troika the benefit, why not somebody else? But I agree this is a Troika thread and should remain so.

Seven said:
EDIT: I've re-read the thread, and I haven't seen any comments that were really derogatory about Bethesda (except Chris's comment which came after yours), so what was the point with that last bit? Trolling?
You haven't seen any? :roll:

2nd answer
Spazmo said:
Hey, thanks a million to Bethesda for cockblocking Troika from u...
6th answer
Bobbi said:
...which will probably be more fun than Bethesda's take at Fallout...
@Bethesda: You could save yourself lots of trouble by just letting Troika develop Fallout 3. ...
And after that Walks with the Snails refers to Bethesda's fanboy's, and some other people refer also to the company, but not in derogatory ways.

Back to the track.Yes, now that I saw the drawings I concur that it's not a halberd but that rifle. Of course I still think it looks a lot like a halberd. And with those pics it could be a serious mature post-apocalitpic role-playing game (try to say that nine times in a row without breathing) based in their own IP. That'd be good.

P.D. uhmm... I see my post is full of name-calling... argh.. sorry.

Voss

Erudite
Seven said:
In this world that you just described are humans kingshit, or are they lower in the food chain, also why do they have a restricted tech tree (When you say tech tree you're not referring to mental powers are you?)

It really depends on the area you're in. There are various regions (the initial release, by the by, was centered on Wisconsin- TSR did the 'hey, lets set the game where we are' thing) and the regions are dominated by different groups, with mingling in some area. Generally though, pure humans were too rare to be the king shits.

The restricted tech reference- essentially surviving high tech stuff had a built in blood/dna scanner or something like that, and would only work in the hands of pure 'baseline' humans. It was a balance thing for the beneficial mutations that other characters could get.

Seven

Erudite
And even before my post Spazmo says also something in this way. And well, being that TOEE engine was a modified Arcanum engine and incorporated 3D models why not 3D backgrounds in the next evolution?

What constitutes a new engine? 80% different, 70% different, isometric to fully 3D? Get over it, it's a new engine content and perspective-wise.

That doesn't mean I don't trust them, but I don't think they are gods. They err much like you and me.

Wow, what a startling revelation

You give Troika the benefit, why not somebody else? But I agree this is a Troika thread and should remain so.

Do you really want to get into a discussion related to who can do a better FO based on DevHouse comments? I don't think you do, read what Bethesda's been saying over the last month, and you'll soon figure out why I'm not willing to give the benefit of the doubt.

And after that Walks with the Snails refers to Bethesda's fanboy's, and some other people refer also to the company, but not in derogatory ways.

Two derogatory comments, wow!!! Given the nature of the post wouldn't you agree that it isn't too bad?

Where?

EDIT: Thanks for the clarification VOSS.

GreenNight

Liturgist
Seven said:
What constitutes a new engine? 80% different, 70% different, isometric to fully 3D? Get over it, it's a new engine content and perspective-wise.
Rewriting from scratch is to make a new engine. Otherwise is a derivated work. Yes, that means that if adom, starting from it's present form, were to change it's graphical engine, piece by piece (unseen to us) until it becomes a 3d game it would be (for me) and improved engine, not a new one. Different people different opinions.

Seven said:
Wow, what a startling revelation
And more to follow, 'cos I'm hollow.

Seven said:
Do you really want to get into a discussion related to who can do a better FO based on DevHouse comments?
No. (<- this was a period brought to you by... a finger, don't remember which one)

Seven said:
Two derogatory comments, wow!!! Given the nature of the post wouldn't you agree that it isn't too bad?
I wouldn't have comented on this if this was a Fallout's whored by Bethesda thread. It is not, and I'm certainly tired of them.

Seven said:
Greennight said:
Where?
Sorry, didn't mean that I was insulting, I did want to mean I was calling people by their names... And why do I have to feel sorry about that?

Now, back to bussiness this is gamma world's official page.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
GreenNight said:
Rewriting from scratch is to make a new engine. Otherwise is a derivated work. Yes, that means that if adom, starting from it's present form, were to change it's graphical engine, piece by piece (unseen to us) until it becomes a 3d game it would be (for me) and improved engine, not a new one. Different people different opinions.

Then Doom 3 uses the Quake 1 engine.

Seven

Erudite

I'm sorry but in this regard, you simply don't know what you're talking about.

RGE

Liturgist
Nightjed said:
hmm, what the hell are those trees in http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=33 and http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=32 ?

maybe there is magic/alien technology/GECKs in the pa world ?

At first I thought it looked like a fantasy world (maybe Arcanum) or another planet, but now I also remember reading something in the Fallout Bible about Harold walking around and dropping seeds from the tree growing from his head. I suppose those trees could be the result, if it was Tim Cain's idea to have Harold grow a tree from his head. But that'd be a longshot I think.

The animal looks nothing like anything I've seen in Fallout, but it does look somewhat like a huge herbivore version of those apelike creatures in Arcanum. Maybe the Arcanum version of a mutant elephant, judging by the size. The bantha of the Arcanum deserts.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom