Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Troika is living up to their reputation right now[ToEE]

Greatatlantic

Erudite
I saw a copy of Temple of Elemental Evil at Walmart a few days ago for $10, and I decided to finally try it out. Even if it isn't fantastic, it can't be worse then some of the things I could spend $50 on, right? After installing the very first thing I did before even trying to play it was download the version 3 patch, which I assume is the latest version. Upon trying to start, however, I'll get the "thinking arrow", then the screen will turn black, then the game will just kick out back to desktop. I've done everything suggested by Atari's website, and even downloaded the no CD fix in case there was a problem with my emulation software installed. Still nothing. If anyone has any ideas, I'd be most appreciative. I did get a demo to run earlier, so I don't know what the problem is. I think it might be a my new powerhorse graphics card, nVidia 7800GS, but I wouldn't know how that would cause a problem.

Severian Silk

I had the same problem with GalCiv2. It was because my desktop resolution and color depth weren't set to the proper values.

Sheriff05

Liturgist
Patch 2, Circle of Eight Patch 4.0.. you don't want patch 3...it always had variety problems and was made just to be compliant with Service Pack 2 but wasnt really tested properly. The SP2 Problems were fixed by modders in the Co8 patch correctly. If your going to give ToEE a try you need to be on the circle of eight boards to get the most out of the game.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Hmmm... I guess I'll unistall and try it with just patch 2. I'm under the impression the Circle of 8 patch does gameplay changes as well, and I'm a little hesitant to run it.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Well, uninstalling and installing only Patch 2 instead of Patch 3 worked perfectly. At least the game runs now. I think there are still a few issues to work out, but the important thing is now I can work on them.

By the way, is it just me or is combat in this game REALLY, REALLY difficult? I built a Lawful Good party and find myself dieing frequently. My cleric can only heal 1 HP at a time a level 1. Should I buy a ton of potions, new gear, or something like that? Or is the game just naturally that challenging?

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
I'm under the impression the Circle of 8 patch does gameplay changes as well, and I'm a little hesitant to run it.
IIRC the standalone does install a few minor gameplay changes, but it's for the better. You should also get Livonya's Mod, because it kicks serious ass.

AlanC9

Liturgist
Livonya's Mod is OK, but it pretty much requires you to have a pure-class rogue in the party, or it'll lock you out of parts of the game (though not enough to make the game unwinnable).

Horrible design for D&D 3.5; it would have been acceptable in AD&D.

xemous

Arcane
Greatatlantic said:
Well, uninstalling and installing only Patch 2 instead of Patch 3 worked perfectly. At least the game runs now. I think there are still a few issues to work out, but the important thing is now I can work on them.

By the way, is it just me or is combat in this game REALLY, REALLY difficult? I built a Lawful Good party and find myself dieing frequently. My cleric can only heal 1 HP at a time a level 1. Should I buy a ton of potions, new gear, or something like that? Or is the game just naturally that challenging?

It's hard at the start cos the party is low level. Gets more fun when you reach the temple.

Crichton

Prophet
By the way, is it just me or is combat in this game REALLY, REALLY difficult? I built a Lawful Good party and find myself dieing frequently. My cleric can only heal 1 HP at a time a level 1.

You should have access to "Cure Light Wounds" which heals 1d8+1 HP per cast. The 1 HP one is "Cure minor Wounds". You should have 3-4 of each (with spontaneous casting). The game can be hard anyway, there's no training dungeon, so expect lots of reloading early on. Actually expect lots of reloading until you get to the temple. F***ing kingfrog, sea hag and hill giant!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"the way, is it just me or is combat in this game REALLY, REALLY difficult? I built a Lawful Good party and find myself dieing frequently. My cleric can only heal 1 HP at a time a level 1. Should I buy a ton of potions, new gear, or something like that? Or is the game just naturally that challenging?"

Combat is easy unless you are a doofus. the fact that you claim that your cleric 'can only heal 1hp at a time' proves that fact that youa re a doofus is the problem. The only time the game runs into a challenge is if you decide to be a sucidal and fight things that are obviously beyond you - ie. hill giant at level 1 or 2.

L0LLERS "I cAN only heal 1hp at a time." HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Well, the hill giant and his pet may serve as a nice puzzle for a low level party. If you use the correct spells...

bryce777

Erudite
The one hp at a time is the zero level heal spells. You need to memorize the first level ones.

You can also you wait for the giant to sleep and steal the stuff, though he is pretty easy if you have elmo and some magic.

Ausir

Arcane
Yeah, defeating the giant with a low party was hard, but figuring out how to do it was lots of fun!

Paranoid Jack

Scholar
Play it on hard core or Iron Man was it. I can't remember which since it has been a few years. Great fun because you know the death of your party is the end of the game. Highly recommended!

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
Paranoid Jack said:
Play it on hard core or Iron Man was it. I can't remember which since it has been a few years. Great fun because you know the death of your party is the end of the game. Highly recommended!

Never play on Iron Man. The chances of save game corruption are too great. House rule it if you want the same effect but don't use Iron Man. Avoid auto-save and quick save too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom