Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Trenchmouth - a Point and Click Adventure - to be or not to be?

Should I Kickstarter fund Trenchmouth?

• Total voters

Victor Pflug

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I'd also really appreciate you taking down the nazi imagery.

My granpda fought against those pricks and I don't really need to be seeing that junk anywhere near my work.

Tracing is wide-spread, who cares.
But why ask for the source to be taken down? Don't use it if you're scared of the faggerino lynch-mobs.
Nobody cares about your grandpa either, btw.

I didn't use it. I specifically removed it.

Victor Pflug

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Hey you guys wanna stop being so fucking confrontational?

I'll just take my nice stuff and fuck off lol

fork

You used it as a source to trace over, apparently. Nothing wrong with that. But don't be a pussy about it.

Hey you guys wanna stop being so fucking confrontational?

I'll just take my nice stuff and fuck off lol

And another butthurt dev not taking critique very well.

Victor Pflug

Wormwood Studios
Developer
IS NOONE GOING TO MENION FUCKING ARCANUM?!!!?!?!??!?!?!?

Okay I'm done hahah. I'm gonna go paint shit - thanks for all the feedback and criticism - was helpful right up until some retards decided to ruin it LOL

zeitgeist

Magister
Okay I'm done hahah. I'm gonna go paint shit

open-en-dicht.jpg

Just make sure to stay inside the lines.

Victor Pflug

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Man - maybe you should learn to "trace"...

It gets me laid HEAPS dude.

EDIT) This is my warmup this morning btw...

64w3.gif

Victor Pflug

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Sorry look I may have gotten my hackles up a bit there - but look, thinking of this technique as "tracing" I can totally understand. What I should do is just post more of an explanation of my work and not just start flinging insults.

So yeah here's how I use image references - this technique can be incredibly helpful to save time when you're a one man art department - I make no excuses or apologies for that. Is it derivative? Yep! Is it stealing? Yep! Does it save time and
end up with an identical result to using the old master's techniques of gridding up work and painstakingly "tracing" it that way? Fuck yeah. I USED to paint like that with oils and such back in like, '95. This is faster.

hjd.gif

Victor Pflug

Wormwood Studios
Developer
And one last one showing drawing - or stealing ;) from a mannequin.

So yeah, most of my artwork is stolen, I guess you could say. It's just that's funny way of looking at it I guess is what I'm getting at :)

gaaga.gif

fork

Look, I said in my first post that tracing is not a problem. It is kinda sad, but everyone does it, and you do it rather well.
I simply criticised your reaction and wondered why you wanted the source removed. Could it be that you're afraid of some completely irrelevant twitter tranny accusing you of being a nazi? If the source is good enough for you to use, you can have the balls and say 'yes I used it, so what?' Like you're doing now. But for some reason, because there's a swastika on that other one, you want it removed! Do you even realised how brainwashed you are?
And your subsequent reaction was even more pathetic.
Ah, what do I care, I guess you have to be a self-censoring, cowardly cuck nowadays.

Strig

Learned
Needless drama. Creative overpainting, using models, photo references, kitbashing, photobashing etc. are commonplace nowadays and some of them weren't exactly rare back when traditional media ruled the scene. Things get a bit shaky while deliberating how much effort makes work transformative but the practice is common nonetheless. And I was with you on that Victor Pflug, up to this point:

I'd also really appreciate you taking down the nazi imagery.

My granpda fought against those pricks and I don't really need to be seeing that junk anywhere near my work.

First of all you're plain ol' wrong, the picture is from the 20's and has nothing to do with the nazis.

P2cBufC.png
Feel free to unwind your panties. The twitterati can't come after you, you're well trained with your knee-jerk denouncements and all. To aggravate you a little more I'll just say this: your grandpappy fought the Germans and your bitch ass is afraid of some fucking twitter gremlin discovering you used a picture of a lady in a swastika hat for reference. He'd be proud.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Sad to see the devs of Primordia becoming so butthurt. It explains Strangeland a bit at least.
Either way, less drama, and more games! It can be that it takes decades between the release of each game!

Victor Pflug

Wormwood Studios
Developer
View attachment 22469
Sad to see the devs of Primordia becoming so butthurt. It explains Strangeland a bit at least.
Either way, less drama, and more games! It can be that it takes decades between the release of each game!

Oh come on I'm only human lol - just because I'm a dev doesn't mean I'm superhuman like Mark. If someone accuses me of plagiarism it is mildly irritating. Anyway I found the ignore feature so we all good!

You used it as a source to trace over, apparently. Nothing wrong with that. But don't be a pussy about it.

And another butthurt dev not taking critique very well.

Needless drama. Creative overpainting, using models, photo references, kitbashing, photobashing etc. are commonplace nowadays and some of them weren't exactly rare back when traditional media ruled the scene. Things get a bit shaky while deliberating how much effort makes work transformative but the practice is common nonetheless. And I was with you on that Victor Pflug, up to this point:

First of all you're plain ol' wrong, the picture is from the 20's and has nothing to do with the nazis.

P2cBufC.png
Feel free to unwind your panties. The twitterati can't come after you, you're well trained with your knee-jerk denouncements and all. To aggravate you a little more I'll just say this: your grandpappy fought the Germans and your bitch ass is afraid of some fucking twitter gremlin discovering you used a picture of a lady in a swastika hat for reference. He'd be proud.

1) That's actually an awesome find! *I* thought she was a nazi lol

2) I just didn't want nazi shit in my thread that has nothing to do with nazis is all - I don't give very much of a toss about my public image. I dated a neonazi because she was a total hottie - I got enough of that ridiculous pro aryan shit for a lifetime lol.
I'm not afraid of what ya'll "uncovered" about my work, but it's rather amusing that you think I would.

3) You do not in any way aggravate me - I'm not sure where all this negativity is coming from... I think it's your panties that need unwinding guys!

Can't we just be friends?

Victor Pflug

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I just think it's interesting - when I found my favourite artist, Josh Kirby, had used some old masters paintings as references and even "stole" some whole scenes for Discworld covers - I found it a fascinating insight and made me feel a bit closer to the artist...
I guess that's just me though! :D

Another tabletop figurine reference here - I honestly thought it was genius using these, as drawing mannequins are nude by default... Just saves me sketching the clothes really?

gd.gif

But honestly it's the sprites I actually do make almost from scratch that I really feel are my best work. (I used a WW1 helmet and rifle here as a reference and possibly pictures of belt pouches - only paint over was over my own sketch) and perhaps some Keith Thompson inspiration - I love his work and yeah I bite his style a lot, although I think Brian Froud's Goblins of the Labyrinth influences my work on these more than KT.

gsa.gif

Oh yeah I almost forgot; you guys can watch me steal ideas in my live twitch painting stream!

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1260939545

EDIT) You know what? I'm actually really really grateful for being kind of pressed, I guess, a little bit to explain my technique. I've been meaning to do art tutorials for years and what better place to start! :D

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom