Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Transistor - sci-fi action-RPG from the makers of Bastion

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Don't these guys basically make iCrap and Phone format games?

Lorica

Educated
Gay song.

Haven't played Bastion yet, is it any good? The fact that everyone, including both mainstream media and hipsters, sings its praises to high heaven made sceptic about its quality.

It's okay. It's a short action game that actually takes some aiming and skills to work through the challenge levels (not a build character to infinity power and click on things to death game, like a Diablo clone). It can be beaten in a few hours, with some interesting challenge mode and loadout/char building ideas to play with but not enough to hold my attention for a replay (if that has any bearing on purchase decisions). One thing it got right was its understanding that they need keep adding weapons and enemy types throughout to keep an action game fresh. I don't know where anybody would get the idea that it's an RPG, but what are you going to do? Heavy emphasis on style and story telling. Style didn't do much for me, but for the most part neither the art nor the sound was too annoying (still images that serve for cutscenes tread the line for me) and generally showed some thought and care, though a little cutesy. Story's pretty shallow and short (and about what you'd expect from an indie with a big headed kid protagonist), but not intrusive.

Diablo169

Arcane
The one positive thing I can say about Bastion is that the music was really well done and fit the themes presented. Hell if Bastion had a good system of gameplay it would have been really good. Was mindless though.

Lancehead

Liturgist
It's okay. It's a short action game that actually takes some aiming and skills to work through the challenge levels
It'd have been better if I didn't have to follow the not-very-visible shadow of reticle for aiming.

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
music is nice (fuck trash metal, electro and symphony lovers). But the game looks shit (this thing that she holds in her hands and all this phone-like look - bleh).
It's thrash metal FFS. Nothing to do with Netherlands.
Yeah, correct. Though there was this local band from Netherlands called "Ni Hao" or something like that back in 90's (though it was more Biohazard-clone if I recal correctly). Hypnotised me when I was 15. Lost the tape to some wanker while borrowing. Couldn't locate them in interwebs nowadays (probably long gone local teenagers). Sure Trash could help identifying it.

Not that it is complete derail :lol:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Moving this. If we find out it being made for PC exclusive, we can easily move it back (but I highly doubt that).

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
music is nice (fuck trash metal, electro and symphony lovers). But the game looks shit (this thing that she holds in her hands and all this phone-like look - bleh).
Yeah, correct. Though there was this local band from Netherlands called "Ni Hao" or something like that back in 90's (though it was more Biohazard-clone if I recal correctly). Hypnotised me when I was 15. Lost the tape to some wanker while borrowing. Couldn't locate them in interwebs nowadays (probably long gone local teenagers). Sure Trash could help identifying it.

http://nihao.bandcamp.com/album/full-born

Enjoy the memories. 90's were really big on hardcore metal around here. Seems like every town had a band or two that never quite made it. Around where I lived it was Neuk! (my fav song by them) and the Space Marines. Think I saw them at least once every month or so. :lol:

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014

http://nihao.bandcamp.com/album/full-born

Enjoy the memories. 90's were really big on hardcore metal around here. Seems like every town had a band or two that never quite made it. Around where I lived it was Neuk and the Space Marines. Think I saw them at least once every month or so. :lol:

Trash, I would brofist you tenthfold in this tread if I could!! Thanks man! It is "Progress?" album that I was talking about :love:

Yeah, that was what we were listening back in south-east Poland as kids,. hehehe, good times

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
http://nihao.bandcamp.com/album/progress

Et voila, mikaelis. They got pretty much everything they ever released there. Enjoy! Was way into all sorts of Fucking Loud Music in the 90's myself. You could always find me at Dynamo Open Air, Lowlands, Rock Werchter and all sorts of smaller festivals and gigs. Awesome times.

Yeah, I remember Neuk! as well!. I just was not so fond of them at that time as they were not singing English (like I could understand well English at that time :lol:).

For this, I solely promise not to put you on ignore list for unforseeble future :bro::love:

Yeah, now back to the topic: shit, shit, shit....

Borelli

Arcane
Combat looks exactly like Bastion which is a plus, main character is a faggot though what's with his walking style.
Music is different from usual videogame bullshit and graphics/art has potential to be good. I predict the game will be at least playable.

J1M

Arcane
Bastion did a few things right: the weapons were pretty balanced and offered people a choice as to what they wanted to use.

It also made interesting use of a narrator.

Bastion is impressive visually considering all of the art was done by a single person. I guess that would be one reason why it looks more consistent than most games.

Finally, they did a good job of marketing the game by having all of Greg's former friends in the media review the game very highly while repeating the words Chrono Trigger.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
This appeals to my hipster sensibilities, will purchase and play. :)

Gulnar

Scholar
It kinda reminds me DX:HR. You know, the 'faux-1500 art style backed with flying things that wants to look tecnological'. But that sword... it's ugliness made weapon.
Meh.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
The graphics reek of photoshop over polishing. Art direction is painfully generic weeaboo. A "strong" (she has a huge sword and fights stuff!) female character with an exotic name.

All the making of a GOTY Top 10 indie hipster orgy. I wonder if they'll have some dude explain everything you do in the game as you do it, that was so great.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
I expected game about these guys:
250px-Transistors-white.jpg

Was really disappointed.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I did not like Bastion, and have no interest in this.

BTW, I played Bastion as a free dowload from Chrome app store (or whatever it's called), so if someone wants to check it out, that's an easy way.

Also, this thread is at its best when it's about obscure 90s metal bands from Netherlands.

Borelli

Arcane
Wait the main character is female? Damn i suck at this.
Anyway Bastion had customizable difficulty setting which was awesome and i expect no less from this title.
EDIT : Also Bastion is NOT an rpg so most likely neither this will be

Angthoron

Arcane
I expected game about these guys:
250px-Transistors-white.jpg

Was really disappointed.
Nobody made a pun about the title being very close to "Tranny Sister"? Codex, I am disappointful.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom