Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Toughest Battle in an rpg!

Wyrmlord

Arcane
How would you guys rate Wizard's Crown?

I dl'ed it a while back, but haven't got around to playing it.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
I played the hell out of it back in the day. Really fun combat imo, turn-based and tactical. It was a pretty deep combat system for its time. Pretty hard game though, especially near the end. Encounter rate is very high and battles can sometimes take a really long time to finish. Worth a try if you like combat-focused RPGs.

R.I.P. SSI

weirwood

Educated
Jasede said:
Is that the optional battle after the final one in Pools of Darkness?

Nope.

It's the infamous optional battle in Curse of the Azure Bonds, where you inadvertently stumble upon a conference of villains who discuss 'the problem of adventurers', in some random dungeon.

15 beholders, 12 drow fighters, 12 high priests and 8 rakshasa, or something like that.

Considering the level cap is 10 in CAB, it's probably the toughest fight in the entire Gold Box series.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
RK47 said:
Try beating Lionheart post-Barcelona yet?
I never beat it. The level scaling in this game is as bad as in Oblivion or Wiz 8. Even if you export your char and begin a new game, you meet horribly powerful opponents early on.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
denizsi said:
Gotta love the age demographic of Codex. 5 pages so far and 4 out of 5 posts, name either Infinity Engine game for toughest battle in an RPG. AN IE GAME FOR FUCK'S SAKE! You playing like a moron and dying doesn't equate to toughest battle. Fuck you Codex, and die.

No surprise that 10 years from now, people, Codexers, will be mentioning Oblivion and Fallout 3 on the subject of toughest battles in RPGs.

I hear you. The fact of the matter is that the people that completed the really tough battles (like Wizardry 4 as a whole) generally have better things to do than hang around on Internet forums reliving events 20+years ago.

weirwood said:
Jasede said:
Is that the optional battle after the final one in Pools of Darkness?

Nope.

It's the infamous optional battle in Curse of the Azure Bonds, where you inadvertently stumble upon a conference of villains who discuss 'the problem of adventurers', in some random dungeon.

15 beholders, 12 drow fighters, 12 high priests and 8 rakshasa, or something like that.

Considering the level cap is 10 in CAB, it's probably the toughest fight in the entire Gold Box series.

I remember that one now that you mention it, but I can't remember whether I beat that fight or skipped it (propably the latter). I was too occupied with the end battle in the same game. I kept getting blasted into ashes by lightning bolts until I tried using Invisibility 10' and scattered the party to better locations...like behind the horde. :)

Pools Of Darkness gives me hives, though. Has to be the toughest "hardcore" RPG out there. I only ever killed the first of Bane's lieutenants beforing just giving up on the game. All those tough encounters get tiring. If I ever return to the series, I know I'll be kicking myself for it. Dave's Challenge (the optional dungeon at the end of PoD) doesn't exactly sound thrilling either.

Other memorable tough fights include the Demogorgon in BG2 TOB and the dragon realm in the clouds at the end of World Of Xeen.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Elwro said:
RK47 said:
Try beating Lionheart post-Barcelona yet?
I never beat it. The level scaling in this game is as bad as in Oblivion or Wiz 8. Even if you export your char and begin a new game, you meet horribly powerful opponents early on.

Holy shit. That must be why I felt weaker whenever I levelled. I thought I was putting points on the wrong thing.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Iirc almost all choices during levelling are "wrong" in this way; you must tightly focus or after a few levels it's an unifxable reload fest.

Major_Boobage

Scholar
Elwro said:
Iirc almost all choices during levelling are "wrong" in this way; you must tightly focus or after a few levels it's an unifxable reload fest.

I never finished the game. After the dragon ( or smth similar) i had to enter a building with archers on cliffs which you couldnt touch until you ran a whole end past them and then entered the plateau they were on. I couldnt run past them, they always killed me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom