Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Totally Not Corrupt Professional Objective Gaming Journalism DRAMA

i don't see ignorant people using their own language just plain wrong as a way to make it evolve. they're just doing it wrong.

Renegen

Arcane
still i see no justification to let people keep butchering it just out of sheer ignorance.
You don't know too much about literature if you think that language isn't changing constantly. Lots of grammaticaly correct idioms would have been considered the butchering of language a few centuries ago.
The argument that "lulz, I can corrupt the english language all I want because the language is alive and can evolve" is a bad one though. You mess with grammar, grammar messes with you.

Last edited:

Delterius

Arcane
still i see no justification to let people keep butchering it just out of sheer ignorance.
You don't know too much about literature if you think that language isn't changing constantly. Lots of grammaticaly correct idioms would have been considered the butchering of language a few centuries ago.
The argument that "lulz, I can corrupt the english language all I want because the language is alive and can evolve" is a bad one though. You mess with grammar, grammer messes with you.
Grammer sure does.

Angthoron

Arcane
IIRC there were some schools in the UK that decided to just let their students write whatever way they wanted to and not fail them for failed grammar. Obviously, "you" became "u" and so forth in those schools. There's a world of difference between the "prescriptive" (former) Eastern Bloc style of language education and "descriptive" Western education model, the two are aimed at entirely different things. It all ties in to the education culture as well as culture as a whole - the West approach is much more pragmatic in this respect, it's more of a "fuck it, it can communicate, whatever goes, we've succeeded". Amusingly, a lot of people from UK and US actually are fairly competent when pressed to articulate appropriately, but until challenged, they're like "lol, cba m8".

And yeah, languages change all the time, more rapidly now with Internet, since a change that could take years to spread across a relatively small region can go global in a matter of months. Obviously, this also affects the formation of non-normative grammar and various short-lived mutations, and depending on the source of the change, can actually be extremely foreign. Say, people would start repeating PewDiePie's constructions - he's got a big following, he produces content often, so, people following him, especially non-natives, will start using SWEnglish phrases without even noticing it, and the funny part is, since English is so wide-spread, only the native speakers with proper competence, or, well, people that actually are linguistically competent will be the only ones to actually identify the flaws of that.

Renegen

Arcane
The argument that "lulz, I can corrupt the english language all I want because the language is alive and can evolve" is a bad one though. You mess with grammar, grammer messes with you.
Grammer sure does.
Damn, how did I make that mistake?

Misconnected

Savant
Grammer? WTF's dat? :D

Also, the argument that you can corrupt the language for lulz, is the best in the world. The ability to be creative and have fun with a language, is a sign of mastery. And being creative and having fun is an admirable end in itself.

balmorar

Arcane
Queued Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy Edgy
People say they could care less when, logically, they mean they couldn’t care less.

The phrase "I couldn’t care less" originated in Britain and made its way to the United States in the 1950s. The phrase "I could care less" appeared in the US about a decade later.

In the early 1990s, the well-known Harvard professor and language writer Stephen Pinker argued that the way most people say could care less—the way they emphasize the words—implies they are being ironic or sarcastic.

Other linguists have argued that the type of sound at the end of "couldn’t" is naturally dropped by sloppy or slurring speakers.

Regardless of the reason people say they could care less, it is one of the more common language peeves because of its illogical nature. To say you could care less means you have a bit of caring left, which is not what the speakers seem to intend. The proper "couldn’t care less" is still the dominant form in print, but "could care less" has been steadily gaining ground since its appearance in the 1960s.

What Should You Do?
Stick with "couldn’t care less."

Here's an example from the TV show Psych:

Juliet O'Hara: Guess what today is.

Carlton Lassiter: It's not one of those touchy-feely holidays invented by card companies to goad me into buying a present for someone I couldn't care less about, is it?

- Maggie Lawson playing O’Hara and Timothy Omundson playing Lassiter

See more at: http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/ed...versus-couldnt-care-less#sthash.XjmkliZr.dpuf

Black

Arcane
The phrase "I couldn’t care less" originated in Britain and made its way to the United States in the 1950s. The phrase "I could care less" appeared in the US about a decade later.
How shocking. :kwafuckyeah:

balmorar

Arcane
Queued Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy Edgy
careless.jpg

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
it is one of the more common language peeves because of its illogical nature.
and yet most people don't have any issues with the illogical everyday use of "or" to be exclusive rather than inclusive, phrases like "tell me about it" to mean the opposite, or the completely illogical usage of "begs the question" ...

thesoup

Arcane
Comparing Shakespeare to illiterate idiots who can't write for shit. Yes, facebook retards are those who will, and indeed should, follow in the footsteps of Shakespeare and evolve our languages.

Bravo Codex, you truly are a cesspit. You're the type of idiots who would support that some colleges and universities in Kwa can teach in Ebonics.

Angthoron

Arcane
Comparing Shakespeare to illiterate idiots who can't write for shit. Yes, facebook retards are those who will, and indeed should, follow in the footsteps of Shakespeare and evolve our languages.

Bravo Codex, you truly are a cesspit. You're the type of idiots who would support that some colleges and universities in Kwa can teach in Ebonics.
2 b r not 2 b
dats da qweshun
wether itz nobla in da mind 2 sufer
de slings & arows uv utraigus 4chun
or 2 taik arms aganst a see uv trooblz
& by oposing end dem? 2 die: 2 sleep

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron

2 b r not 2 b
dats da qweshun
wether itz nobla in da mind 2 sufer
de slings & arows uv utraigus 4chun
or 2 taik arms aganst a see uv trooblz
& by oposing end dem? 2 die: 2 sleep

Have you ever seen American highschool yearbooks? It's that bad.

LivingOne

Savant
The Last Guardian: An Apology
IGN erroneously reported the cancellation of Sony’s long-awaited title.
By Steve ButtsLast night, I made a call to post a story about the cancellation of The Last Guardian. The source for this information was, in my opinion as IGN’s Editor in Chief, credible enough to justify running the story. While there is still a discrepancy with what our source has said, Scott Rohde’s Twitter post makes it clear that our original source was in error. The business of handling news sources involves some assumption of risk and last night my evaluation of that risk was clearly in error.

Given the responses to me on Twitter, it’s clear many of you would like to understand what happened. The first news came via IGN’s Russian team, who were traveling with a larger group of Russian journalists and the Sony representative who was the original source of the story. I double and triple checked the language and the context of the news, which, I learned, was delivered in a meeting at Sony Russia.

Concerned about the nuance, I confirmed with the Sony source, via IGN Russia, that the game was cancelled for all platforms. I reached out to Sony of America, who was unable to comment on the story. I published the story based on the strength of our single source. Soon after, Scott Rohde tweeted that the story was incorrect. Additional reports from our contact in IGN Russia did not clarify the situation, and it became increasingly clear that Rohde’s tweet was the more credible source.

Accordingly, I am issuing a retraction on our original story.

To IGN fans who have criticized the rest of the staff for this reporting, understand the decision to post this story was mine alone.

To Sony and Team ICO, who have had to address unexpected controversy on the eve of the year’s largest celebration of gaming, I apologize.

To gamers who feel misled by IGN on this point, I hope to win back your trust and have put in place additional rules to minimize the chance that these errors will occur again.

First, the burden of proof with regard to the source will be clearly outlined in any future reports. The initial story alluded to a source but gave the readers no chance to assess the trustworthiness of the source for themselves.

Second, the confirmation of facts that come from all but the most trusted of sources will require independent confirmation. This is already the standard for reporting at IGN and my failure is in not upholding that standard.

Third, with regard to headlines and social promotion of these stories, we will be much more clear in those cases where there is room for interpretation or ambiguity with regard to the facts.

IGN strives to be as accurate as possible in all its reporting and I apologize to our audience, our IGN staff, and Sony for the misrepresentation of the state of The Last Guardian. If it does appear at E3 this year, there will be a lot of happy gamers celebrating in our war room. I will be one of them.

Thanks,

Steve Butts,

Editor-in-Chief

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/09/the-last-guardian-an-apology

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Maybe they mean it in a wishful sense..

Like admitting they care about something even though they are trying to care less.

The statement of "I could care less" being an admission of defeat that your attempts to not care have failed and with resignation, you acknowledge that you could in fact care less but you are too invested in the matter of caring.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom