Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Totally Not Corrupt Professional Objective Gaming Journalism DRAMA

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Wasn't there some sort of thing with Rex being involved with the publisher/dev of Hellgate while claiming to be a journalist?

Dexter

Arcane
Aaaaaaaaand Rex Exitium has joined the fray, white knighting Wainwright.

Lot's of big names have spoken out against her already though, which is nice to see.

Ah yes, an old protagonist of ours is rearing its ugly head:
http://twitter.com/stillgray/status/261506403452203008
http://www.dailydot.com/news/solinvcitus-ian-miles-cheong-reddit-spam/

whiteknight1kpzp.png

whiteknight2dcp4k.png

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1227qi/robert_florence_just_stepped_down_from_eurogamer/

Multi-headed Cow

How the fuck was that man ever involved with RPG Codex?

Castanova

Prophet
I don't think most games journalists are super corrupt. It's more that they're just stupid people. No one with half a brain would do that job for more than a year or two before moving on to something else.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I don't think most games journalists are super corrupt. It's more that they're just stupid people. No one with half a brain would do that job for more than a year or two before moving on to something else.

They're really not corrupt that often, mostly they're just stupid, inexperienced, juvenile, bad at writing, naive, simple and/or selfish.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Seriously though, being on Square Enix' payroll while reviewing their games and giving them a 9.5 rating is kind of bad form.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Game "journalism" tends to attract the most weak-minded and prone to butthurt individuals who at the same time suffer from illusions de grandeur of gargantuan proportions.

Incidentally, when I worked for one of the biggest local game distributors there were lots of people like that there too, especially on higher positions.

I don't even know what is the reason for that, perhaps it's just a thing that happens to you when you start making a living out of gaming.

grotsnik

Arcane
The funny thing is how well this part-

this weird club of pals and buddies that make up a fair proportion of games media

has been demonstrated by the reaction. An in-crowd of gaming journalists all churning out white noise on Twitter, bickering back and forth about the exact wording of a statement that may or may not have implied legal action was threatened, reacting to the story as a personal spat, focusing on the emotional aspects and not on the facts (the article was 'cruel', Dave Cook is 'properly miserable' about the way he was portrayed, LEAVE LAUREN WAINRIGHT ALONE), retweeting one another to show their support, turning the whole affair into a pathetically earnest internet community drama until the entire original point about maybe thinking how they could implement some standards of journalistic integrity, transparency, and critical distance across the board has been buried beneath the epic saga of He Said Something Mean To Her And Then She Tweeted This And Then Someone Called Her Something Rude And The Whole Thing Got Out Of Hand. It's the cacophony of a classroomful of eight-year-olds when the teacher comes in and tries to ask them exactly why that fight broke out.

kris

Arcane
Still doesn't explain it!

You don't happen to think the codex is somehow put together with only an elite of super-intellects?

If anything I am surprised just that Rex stayed as long as he did as his constant flip-flopping and stupid views made him enemies everywhere and people here made fun of him 24/7.

"Gaming journalism". LOL.

Grimlorn

Arcane
These "journalists" will just keep their mouths shut about what they get from now on all while continuing to tweet and promote games for free shit.

RPGMaster

Savant
Anyone who professes to being a fan of a game they haven't played yet is a dilhole.

Misconnected

Savant
So... How would one go about establishing consumer-serving-only watchers, critics and reviewers of the gaming industry?

I don't disagree there's no such thing as gaming journalism. But how do you stop it from turning into a PR machine? Both the consumers whose interests they allegedly serve and the alleged journalists themselves, seem to want RP and to not want any part of critical media.

Round the fucking lot up in re-education camps? I'll admit, I'm not entirely opposed to the idea, but it seems like energy better spent on other things.

Dexter

Arcane
Here's a rather good rundown of events: http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai...ence-leaves-eurogamer-after-libel-complaints/

Also, she's being extremely stupid for trying to "cover it all up" instead of apologizing, it just makes people look into her person more.

She removed working for Square Enix from her profile: http://journalisted.com/lauren-wainwright
wainwright.jpg

Then someone found this: http://n4g.com/news/282228/so-you-want-free-games
Original: http://web.archive.org/web/20100213090917/http://viera.nu/?p=550
RQR1b.png

IPNyV.png

Also her lying and thinking the amendment to the EuroGamer article constitutes an "apology" that she was apparently waiting for:
hpTAU.png

Multi-headed Cow

"cover it all up"
Always great when that happens. They don't just own up to whatever dumb shit they do/did, and are dishonest enough to try to cover it up but not dishonest and skilled enough to leave it in the open and try to put a positive spin on it.

Dishonest AND inept, the best combination! Not like my Lovey Wuvey Gaben-fu who is honest and skilled and handsome and charming and wonderful and please give me videogames Gaben.

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
Wow! This is quality entertainment and another reason to love the UK besides all the shows that migrate over to our PBS!

:bravo:

I feel pity for the UK and how their journalism system is kind of fubar. You have one guy owning a metric fuckton of the media outlets and extorting public officials while also having laws that make reporting on corruption a pain in the ass. Well, hope this sparks some healthy debate over there and maybe some day changes in the legislation over journalism.

Meanwhile, I can appreciate the flaws of the US and comment on them without getting buttraped by lawyers! :patriot:

Misconnected

Savant
Well, hope this sparks some healthy debate over there and maybe some day changes in the legislation over journalism.

I don't see this having any meaningful impact on either. But some kind of change is under way and has been for a while.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom