Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview TotalBiscuit Interviews Adam Brennecke

Moribund

A droglike
Best game like what you're trying to do in the last ten years? "I'd say dragon age" "dragon age did a really good job"

What would you have answered?

Anything in last ten years? Seriously? BG II was released in 2002 I think.

TOEE. Freedom force and the third reich. Bloodlines.

Plus the guy didn't know who boo was, not looking good.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Best game like what you're trying to do in the last ten years? "I'd say dragon age" "dragon age did a really good job"

4 million down the toilet.

Nice art but I just know this game will have shit combat and classes and combat system that are a joke.
Fun fact: Josh Sawyer hasn't played either Dragon Age. Pretty telling, considering he has played Oblivion, Mass Effect 1 and 2, and Skryim.

Man, I thought you were the Sawyer-fanboy, and here you come to crush my perceptions. Shame on you.

Does seem pretty fucking weird that he'd avoid the original DA why play Oblivion, ME and Skyrim. One must assume he had some kind of burning motivation for PE, and he obviously cares a lot about rules and rules systems.

My question still stands though; as far as I know, Brennecke isn't that involved in development.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

BG2 was released in 2000. TOEE was turn-based so not really the same kind of thing. Freedom Force is a strategy game. LOL Bloodlines.

Fact is, there has been no other BG-like game in that time span, other than NWN2.

Moribund

A droglike

BG2 was released in 2000. TOEE was turn-based so not really the same kind of thing. Freedom Force is a strategy game. LOL Bloodlines.

Fact is, there has been no other BG-like game in that time span, other than NWN2.

Thanks for stating the obvious, too bad it has no relevance. But you are wrong about FF, pretty ridiculous statement.

Apexeon

Arcane

BGII was 2000 <---- 12 years back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldur's_Gate_II:_Shadows_of_Amn

Release date(s)
September 24, 2000[show]
Anyone liked Ice wind dale 2?​
I liked the art but the game was not very good.​

Moribund

A droglike
I don't think he answered to say "what is it most like" but what he wanted it to be like. Oh dragon age, yeah, that did a good job!

Not what I want to hear, in any respect not just combat and character creation. At least this will be 2D though if nothing else is right.

Oh Merill, you little scamp you.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't think there's any basis for that interpretation. That's not what he was asked.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Did I miss something? I don't see how this is news. Project: Eternity's target audience is the disgruntled BioWare crowd. They went hard after Infinity Engine nostalgia and Dragon Age was a pretty good attempt to do the same thing, a new Infinity Engine-type game. No shit they'll bring it up for comparison.

St. Toxic

Arcane
Yeah, I'd say IWD2. There was even that project to get BG running on the IWD2 modification of Infinity, called Icewind Gate, so it's essentially like saying Baldur's Gate only within the last 10 years. I mean, seriously, fuck Dragon Age.

cp-iwd2002.jpg

St. Toxic

Arcane
I'm sure CynicalShit would've spazzed out completely. "THAT'S BULLSHIT MOTHERFUCKER. EVERYONE KNOWS IWD2 WAS RELEASED END OF AUGUST, IT'S ALMOST CHRISTMAS. THIS INTERVIEWS IS OVER. OVER!!!!"

Well actually, even 12 years isn't that big of a stretch if you're doing 10. Nobody cares. But the truth is, either they're trying to make a type of game that we haven't really seen for 15 years, or they're doing some retro version of Dragon Age which... well, let's just not go there. But overall, that's the whole point. He should've just said "There's nothing, you idiot. Nothing in the last 10-15 years has come close to what we're trying to do. I mean, what do you think we're doing here? The next installment on some Call of Duty bullshit? What the fuck is wrong with you?" to score points.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I'm sure CynicalShit would've spazzed out completely. "THAT'S BULLSHIT MOTHERFUCKER. EVERYONE KNOWS IWD2 WAS RELEASED END OF AUGUST, IT'S ALMOST CHRISTMAS. THIS INTERVIEWS IS OVER. OVER!!!!"

Well actually, even 12 years isn't that big of a stretch if you're doing 10. Nobody cares. But the truth is, either they're trying to make a type of game that we haven't really seen for 15 years, or they're doing some retro version of Dragon Age which... well, let's just not go there. But overall, that's the whole point. He should've just said "There's nothing, you idiot. Nothing in the last 10-15 years has come close to what we're trying to do. I mean, what do you think we're doing here? The next installment on some Call of Duty bullshit? What the fuck is wrong with you?" to score points.

Surely he would have at least mentioned his company's own game, NWN2. What you're asking for seems a bit unreasonable.

St. Toxic

Arcane
Surely he would have at least mentioned his company's own game, NWN2. What you're asking for seems a bit unreasonable.

Oh come on. Did they pitch PE as a spiritual successor to NWN2? Is that the type of game they're trying to make here? You're going to draw people in by talking about games that are ancient, by todays standards, but namedrop current gen games and lick other developer's asses in the interviews? That's reasonable is it? ;)

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Dragon Age is a fine game. I'm fine with him replying that consider the shit we've dealt with the last 10 years.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Oh come on. Did they pitch PE as a spiritual successor to NWN2? Is that the type of game they're trying to make here? You're going to draw people in by talking about games that are ancient, by todays standards, but namedrop current gen games and lick other developer's asses in the interviews? That's reasonable is it? ;)

Dude, he was asked what recent games are of the same general type as PE and Dragon Age is the best answer to that question. I would have said the same thing. Don't understand why this is so controversial. Oh wait, I'm on the Codex.

Anyway, remember that this interview was meant for the ears of TotalBiscuit listeners.

St. Toxic

Arcane
Hay guise, I'm making a spiritual successor to Ultima Underworld. Oh yeah, which current games have influenced your ideas and design the most? Well, mostly Fallout 3, Skyrim, Mass Effect, Fable -- actually, I've been eating nothing but fecal matter for the past 9 months so I'm really inspired.

Dude, he was asked what recent games are of the same general type as PE and Dragon Age is the best answer to that question. I would have said the same thing. Don't understand why this is so controversial. Oh wait, I'm on the Codex.

But wasn't Dragon Age just a shit-game that tried to cash in on the nostalgia people felt for the old Infinity games? Hey, wait a minute, maybe that means PE is... Nah, can't be.

Anyway, remember that this interview was meant for the ears of TotalBiscuit listeners.

Yeah, + the guy doesn't even know what he don't know. It's better to just ignore the entire thing.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Hay guise, I'm making a spiritual successor to Ultima Underworld. Oh yeah, which current games have influenced your ideas and design the most? Well, mostly Fallout 3, Skyrim, Mass Effect, Fable -- actually, I've been eating nothing but fecal matter for the past 9 months so I'm really inspired.

Poor analogy. None of those games are as similar to Ultima Underworld as Dragon Age is to Baldur's Gate. (and no, I'm not saying that Dragon Age is VERY similar to Baldur's Gate, but it is reasonably similar)

Also, what's this about "influence"? That's not what the question was and Adam Brennecke is not the game designer anyway.

Oesophagus

Arcane
Dragon Age is a fine game. I'm fine with him replying that consider the shit we've dealt with the last 10 years.

Plus, this guy isn't the head honcho who choses the direction of the game. I mean, you've got Josh Sawyer, MCA and Tim Cain there. From the interview I gather that Adam's main job is scheduling.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom