Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer 2

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well... I'm a bit worried about the grand campaign turn times.
Of course, it cannot really be prevented that it will take longer, but I hope it won't be incredibly long.

Heroes being less essential sounds great, actually. I never liked them. Way too abstract. Just felt like microing something that should have been automatic.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Well... I'm a bit worried about the grand campaign turn times.
Of course, it cannot really be prevented that it will take longer, but I hope it won't be incredibly long.

Heroes being less essential sounds great, actually. I never liked them. Way too abstract. Just felt like microing something that should have been automatic.
If you didn't have problems with Rome 2 EE turn times, it would be probably fine. Rome 2 had 117 factions, WH2 would have 117 factions and bit simpler economy model.

But global campaign would appear about month after release.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
You are still attacking a wall with towers without being able to envelop the city and chose target.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You are still attacking a wall with towers without being able to envelop the city and chose target.
It somewhat makes sense, though:
The attacker would usually choose and commit to the weakest side, as it is much easier for the defender to reposition soldiers than for the attacker to reposition siege engines.
+ Breaching a wall is supposed to take a very long time (I know it is done on the tactical map, but we can consider it an abstraction), so it works better if all pieces bombard the same wall.
enveloping the castle is mostly done to make sure no one gets in or out, so the real problem is the lack of a proper way to represent sallying out, which was a big deal:
At the siege of Beziers, during the Albigesian crusade, the defenders sallied out, were routed, and could not manage to get the gate closed before the attackers poured in, which shortened the siege a lot.

Ventidius

Arbiter
Man I just finished Divinity Original Sin 2 and then this comes out. I will never be able to finish my thesis. :negative:

Anyway, playing it now as Kroq-Gar. Feels good to have pre-loaded. Is it just me or fps are somewhat worse? I remember reading it'd be more or less the same performance-wise. Didn't quite believe it. Still playable though.

Seethe

Arbiter

tldw: its for casuls

Muh casual. Muh if you didn't play muh medieval 2 you will like this. Piss off, I played Medieval 2 when I was fucking 13, and it wasn't a hard game. It also aged like garbage. The reason why battles lasted longer is because the units stared at each other most of the time instead of fighting.

Seriously, Medieval 2 / Shogun 2 fanboys are some of the most insipid creatures on the face of this earth.

Ventidius

Arbiter

Muh casual. Muh if you didn't play muh medieval 2 you will like this. Piss off, I played Medieval 2 when I was fucking 13, and it wasn't a hard game. It also aged like garbage. The reason why battles lasted longer is because the units stared at each other most of the time instead of fighting.

Seriously, Medieval 2 / Shogun 2 fanboys are some of the most insipid creatures on the face of this earth.

Pretty much. People calling the modern TW games casual are 13 years late to the party. The first and most meaningful drop in depth was the deterioration of the BAI (or the inability of CA to improve it enough to keep up with the increase in the complexity of the engine, depending on how you look at it), and speeding up of battle(to the point where it shed its previous, slower, more methodical, and more simulationist/grognard-friendly pace) that took place between the first Medieval and Rome. Every other change has been relatively minor in the grand scheme of things, with the biggest one being the removal of the formations and increase in skills/spells/micro that took place in WH1.

Bottom line is, if you stuck with the franchise after 2004, the only thing that is gonna stop you from enjoying a new one is that they do a setting you don't like, and I happen to love WH. They also seem to have lumped pretty much all of the races I like the most on II, except for the vamps.

Seethe

Arbiter
Bought WaWa2. It's alright but the power creep is real. Malekith is Vlad on magic steroids.

Everyone is on steroids. With Skrolk you can summon an entire army on the battlefield. And use one of the summons to suicide bomb the enemy with the faction ability.

Last edited:

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I cannot play this until I get home from work. I am stuck between Malekith and Morathi for a first playthrough. I like picking the non-faction leader LL options (outside Louen), but Morathi does not seem that great. Has anyone given Morathi a try yet?

Seethe

Arbiter
I cannot play this until I get home from work. I am stuck between Malekith and Morathi for a first playthrough. I like picking the non-faction leader LL options (outside Louen), but Morathi does not seem that great. Has anyone given Morathi a try yet?

Morathi sucks as far as campaign bonuses are concerned. The corruption actually harms Malekith and other Dark Elves, but afaik it no longer will if you confederate.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

There are three examples of why current TW games devolved.

I miss a song about nice curious rat protected by powerful guardian. That never gives up its pursuit.
Or romantic song at the end of VC campaign about undying love between Isabela and Vlad.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron

Morathi sucks as far as campaign bonuses are concerned. The corruption actually harms Malekith and other Dark Elves, but afaik it no longer will if you confederate.
Does she at least have decent abilities/quest items?

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire

She is a particularly decent as a lord, as her auras are good and stats are decent, but it's better to start as Malakith and just confederate her. Especially since Malekith is probably the best lord in the game.

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

Starting at north is about empire building, starting on South. Have you thought why you have hydra from the beginning?

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
You both are right, the War Hydra is a great starting unit. I certainly cannot complain about that. It just seems her bonuses and abilities are muted compared to other lords.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
She doesn't benefit enough from spreading corruption, sure it's an innate defensive mechanicism in a way but she only has a unique building that negates its maluses, although that unique building strong as well, you get it from confederation. In general Morathi looks very good to confederate with, as you can directly inherit her bonuses, which are more material and in the game.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
I think I will just start with Malekith after all. Plus, unless CA tweaked rebellions, I would think you could farm rebellions for slaves with Malekith, which in turn can create more rebellions to farm.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom