Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Total War: Shogun 2

So will you buy it?

• Yes

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • I will wait for reviews

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • No

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters

FatCat

Educated
Shogun 2 Realism 0.345 + Universal Ai Mod V0.65
+
Japanese Speech Fix Mod v2 - Wind
More pain sounds mod - pisoiasul
Realm Divide mod - Yarkis
Movement Speed Reduction Mod - Yarkis
Better Unit Card mod Version 1.01 - CocunutFred
Less Shiney Gloss units mod - FTMCH

best mod combination at the moment.

kris

Arcane
Overweight Manatee said:
A concise summary of what is wrong with Darthmod. Me at turn 45 from a Uesugi start on VH.
:retarded:

My biggest problem is finding a way to spend my money.

Can't see the picture. Are you saying you got to much money? In vanilla I usually have mony problems, moreso with the realm divide and reliance on trading income. Only time I got loads of money was when I could loot the Hattori for 15000.

I am well on my way to beat Legendary now. But with Hojo, which I suspect may be one of the easiests ones to do that with. (Haven't tried Date).

FATCAT. Would that realism mod have increased experience for armies in it? That is currently one of my biggest gripes. Basically you can later build new armies that is more experienced than ones that have won 20+ battles. Is kind of silly IMO.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
FatCat said:
+

Good list. Those are defenitely the most polished out there. The fluff ones can be nice though your mileage may vary.

kris said:
Overweight Manatee said:
A concise summary of what is wrong with Darthmod. Me at turn 45 from a Uesugi start on VH.
:retarded:

My biggest problem is finding a way to spend my money.

Can't see the picture. Are you saying you got to much money? In vanilla I usually have mony problems, moreso with the realm divide and reliance on trading income. Only time I got loads of money was when I could loot the Hattori for 15000.

Yeah. My bank is at 22k, I'm making 16k after expenses per turn, I have 10 spare food, and nothing left that I can build. This is on 10 provinces

Cash management is the one thing they got really well in vanilla Shogun 2, and its nearly perfect once you fix the Realm Divide stupidity. Darthmod basically shits all over that and gives the player infinite money. And its not like you even need it, the AI is actually weaker than in vanilla and is ridiculously non-aggressive.

FatCat said:
+

What does the Realism mod do well? It would seem to me that a massive overhaul of unit stats and restrictions would mess with the UAI mod, screwing up its priorities even if nothing technically conflicted.

Also, doesn't movement speed reduction just make archers even more ridiculously powerful? There needs to be some kind of nerf to keep it in balance.

FatCat

Educated
Overweight Manatee said:
What does the Realism mod do well? It would seem to me that a massive overhaul of unit stats and restrictions would mess with the UAI mod, screwing up its priorities even if nothing technically conflicted.

Also, doesn't movement speed reduction just make archers even more ridiculously powerful? There needs to be some kind of nerf to keep it in balance.

The mods goal is realism , ashigaru is army backbone , samurai are fewer in numbers and much more powerfull compared to ashigaru , also some other tweaks and you get Loan sword ashigaru and naginata ashigaru.Archer cost is increased and they are nerfed also speed reduction is minor , just to make it more real and battles last much longer.

UAI is fully compatible with S2R

FatCat said:
Overweight Manatee said:

The mods goal is realism , ashigaru is army backbone , samurai are fewer in numbers and much more powerfull compared to ashigaru , also some other tweaks and you get Loan sword ashigaru and naginata ashigaru.Archer cost is increased and they are nerfed also speed reduction is minor , just to make it more real and battles last much longer.

We have already gone over this in the thread, and loan sword ashigaru is pretty much the opposite of realism (a realistic mod would eliminate katana groups altogether). Frankly samurai groups seem powerful enough as it is in vanilla, they just aren't cost effective which is as it should be.

FatCat said:
UAI is fully compatible with S2R

I know it _says_ its compatible. In modder-speak, all that means is that the game doesn't crash when the two are loaded together. Does S2R lose its effectiveness though? Changing the AI around, you tell it to build x and prioritize buildings x and tech to x and get x% of a unit in a stack optimally. When you change unit stats massively you upset the delicate balance, and I don't see how S2R could take into account such an overhaul while remaining as effective as it is in vanilla.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Realism mod is lame and anything but realistic. Forget about it. Dartmod is feature overload and castrates the AI. It actually makes the game lame and easy with added Darth Vader shit thrown all over it for good measure. Dunno what's gotten into that Greek fag. CAI mod has its ups and downs but frankly seems to be the most promising. Movement speed reduction seems to help with the fps and makes battles last longer. If you want that, use it.

Rest of the mods are atmoshperic and graphical fluff. Some nice, some actually really good and some not so. Depends on taste, I guess.

And yes, the CAI mod being compatible means that it won't crash when combined with other mods and that the CAI uses the same building quees, diplo stances and so forth. It's not tailored to the other mods specifics but as of now most of the overhauls really haven't changed that much in what it is worth to build and what not.

PS: You want to shit all over the BAI? Use a shitload of matchlock ashigaru with a small samurai detail to guard them. Combined salvoes eliminate alsmost everything and changes the warfare completely. Pretty much as the introduction of masses of conscripted gunners did in reality to samurai warfare. Witness the end of an era. :lol:

Multi-headed Cow

After getting a heroic 300 dead VS 1,200 dead victory, I got a close defeat in MP and now I must never ever play it again. Damn bastard with his dishonorable guns scaring my men.

Plus whenever I'm in a Shogun mood I'm more inclined to want to play campaign than MP. Realm divide just started and I'm in for a reaming.

ironyuri

Bros, can anyone tell me if Realm Divide is actually bugged in the original game?

I've played two games to Shogun stage, Mori and Takeda and each time I become Shogun the realm divide modifier hangs around in my diplomatic relations (I have -110 relations with Chosokabe in my Mori game for example with a (-) next to it meaning constant decline, and Chosokabe have been my allies for over 60 turns) eventually turning all of my allies and vassals against me and making peace impossible.

I don't mind the realm divide event itself, but it seems ridiculous that it should continue to fuck my relations even after I'm Shogun, to the point that I get reamed on all sides as allies and vassals begin declaring war on me.

catfood

AGAIN
FUCK YEAH I FINALY MANAGED TO GET STW TO WORK ON XP!!!

I encountered the freeze (on the campaign map) problem again while playing. I was pretty sure it wasn't the poems (cause they've been deleted). Frustrated, I began to delete entire folders from the Shogun directory containing audio files in an attempt to find the source of the problem. Eventually I was able to force the game not to freeze, and the screen requesting me to insert disc 2 (mentioned in my previous post) came up, much to my relief. After pressing cancel, a message about a new heir being born popped up. This was the root of the problem. As with the poems, I went into the Shogun directory, found the audio files that play during the birth messages (which, oddly enough, were located in the voices --> throne area of the Shogun directory), and deleted them. Problem solved.

http://shoguntotalwar.yuku.com/topic/35 ... -XP-Enough

I also disabled movies and the throne room just to be sure. And running in software mode wich makes the screen jitter when I'm scrolling the battle map, but other than that it's all good. :D

spectre

Arcane
I am torn about this, though, on the one hand all dipomatic effort goes out the window, but on the other hand, it gives a modicum of challenge, as you suddenly have to adapt to fight on ALL the fronts.

There is a few realm divide mods on twcenter, seems nice on paper, makes the whole thing less ham-fisted.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
I find the Realm Divide Mod to be too easy. It just gives you a single medium hit to your diplomatic stats and slowly diminishes that initial hit. You just need to get through the initial stage and all will be fine. Most players seem to like this but I would prefer a challenge. Hell, you shouldn't become the big bad ass of Japan without starting to scare and piss off the other clans somewhat fierce.

ironyuri

Trash said:
I find the Realm Divide Mod to be too easy. It just gives you a single medium hit to your diplomatic stats and slowly diminishes that initial hit. You just need to get through the initial stage and all will be fine. Most players seem to like this but I would prefer a challenge. Hell, you shouldn't become the big bad ass of Japan without starting to scare and piss off the other clans somewhat fierce.

I'm happy to piss off other clans something fierce, but I am annoyed that long-term allies and vassals (I had the Ito as a vassal on Kyushu for 30 in-game years) turn on you irreversibly as the realm divide degrades your relations continuously.

If your allies join your war against the Shogunate then the realm divide should act as a positive modifier, making anyone allied to you gain relations as you press for the Shogunate as, historically, those clans would then be rewarded fiefs by you as Shogun. The clans that join your alliance against the Ashikaga Shogunate should be in it for the long haul and it should be a positive factor. Realm divide should also be removed as a modifier as soon as you become Shogun.

Once you have the Shogunate the realm is no longer divided and there is a new power. Clans that are at war with you can stay at war with you, but should accept and not betray a peace the next turn, if you offer it to them having smashed their resistance.

I don't want a medium hit that goes away very quickly, but I also don't want allies and vassals to join the clusterfuck after they have joined in pissing on the other clans for 20 years. It doesn't make sense other than to turn the game into a horrendous map painting slog. If I become Shogun I don't want tlo turn all of Japan into a blob, I want to continue to engage with other clans in the chess game of diplomacy and campaign strategy.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Well, can't find that much at fault there. It would make sense to have other large clans decide to take a chance at becoming Shogun themselves when you become one though. But for that your initial relation with them really shouldn't be too good.

I do however enjoy the idea behind the RD event. It does provide a late-game challenge in much the same ways as having your king die in Medieval 1 or the civil war in Rome did. As it is it's too much however and most mods either get rid of it in entirely or castrate it.

In game terms I wonder how it could be done 'right'. Large initial hit which degrades very slowly? Very friendly clans, vassals and allies probably would stay on good terms while those with less than stellar relations could turn on you. Would require quite a bit of fine tuning.

Quilty

Magister
Just started playing multiplayer, and bros I'm on a three-win streak against superior forces. :smug:

People keep underestimating my puny-looking sword ashigaru that tear the planets asunder and laugh at your endless stacks of spears.

Multi is really a lot of fun, but it makes me nervous to play against a live opponent. I've never actually played an RTS in multi before this, only popamole shooters.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Multiplayer almost makes me want to buy this game. The reason I won't is not because of money, but because I am terribly retarded at playing action games in general. I get motion sickness or something. I can't play a battle straight without pausing every 5 seconds, so I imagine things would not go very well for me

hanssolo

Educated
This looks like some pretty unexpected :incline: by CA, but I won't buy it until a lan crack is released, because no fucking way am I paying a hundred fucking dollars ($180 from fucking steaming turd) just to play multi with my girlfriend.

Quilty

Magister
kris said:
Quilty said:
People keep underestimating my puny-looking sword ashigaru that tear the planets asunder and laugh at your endless stacks of spears.

Sword ashigaru?

Yeah, I think they're basically peasants with swords. But buffed up they're pretty good in melee, especially against spearmen.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Quilty said:
Just started playing multiplayer, and bros I'm on a three-win streak against superior forces. :smug:

Multi is really a lot of fun, but it makes me nervous to play against a live opponent. I've never actually played an RTS in multi before this, only popamole shooters.

Yesterday i was in a 2v2 Match against some clan with a random on my team.
It was on the map with a body of water splitting the map in 2 sides with shallows to walk through with 3 different location to capture.

The firsts thing they do is charge my team mate with the entire army of one guy and the second guy sending some close combat support and his general.
He did leave 2 Sword Ashigaru and 3 Archers back to keep me at bay at the shallows hoping i would be to noob to make my way over with out getting shot smashed.

Now if i charge over the water i will get shot to shit and tire my entire army out so even if i win i would have a winded army and they won't fight as well.
SO what i did was i charged over a group of Spear Ashigaru to charge there bow men and buy me time to walk through the shallows.

The spear men where able to hold long enough for my army to get over the shallow water and get into charge range so i smacked into his bow ashigaru and sword ashigaru with my katana Samurai, loan swords and Light Cavalry.

HE was Murdered and i took only a bit of Damage. At this point they where done killing my team mate who had made a great stand on a small hill and i now had to fight them.
SO her comes this tired and army of mostly spear men to fight my 2 Katana Samurai, General, Light Cavalry, 1 group of Spear Ashigaru and 2 Groups of Archers that i had sent out in a forward position to bombard him as he came close.

They both tried to charge me and IT went bad for them.
MY Katana Samurai made short work of them and MY Ashigaru where great at counter charging blunting there attack in there tracks.

IT was GREAT.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Gneh... I guess this is one of the disadvantages of not removing from inventory.

That said, I have a personal rule that if I choose to not remove a game from inventory, I get to play it for 2 days. After that, I either delete the game or buy it proper. And after two (admitedly entertaining) evenings with S2, I haven't really felt the urge to splurge money on it. I may get it when it goes on sale though.

kris

Arcane
Quilty said:
kris said:
Quilty said:

Sword ashigaru?

Yeah, I think they're basically peasants with swords. But buffed up they're pretty good in melee, especially against spearmen.

Clearly you play some sort of mod then.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
There definately weren't any sword ashigaru in the base game I remember. Your initial sword dojo trains sword samurai. Also, katanas were far too expensive to produce to hand out to peasants. They were reserved for the wealthy and highly trained soldiers.

catfood

AGAIN
Weren't swords mostly used for dueling and ceremonial purposes? I believe the spear and bow were the most widespread weapons on the battlefield.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom