Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Total War: PHARAOH

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Medieval 3 or Empire 2.
This CA didn't develop Medieval 2. The people that did develop Medieval 1 and Empire are fewer now than they have ever been in the history of the studio.
If anyone expects good things from this they haven't been paying attention for a very very long time. But ok what ever OOoh Shiny. You people deserve to be treated like shit frankly.
Same as fans of CK3/V3. Shiny graphics! Yeah but the gameplay ate shit and the game focus is in a totally different direction from what made the OG games great.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The only thing I want from TW at this point is for Feral, the guys who ported Rome and Medieval 2 to mobile and made Rome Remastered, to make a Medieval 2 Remastered.

Rome Remastered has a shitty interface compared to the original, but the devs listened to community requests and lifted many of the old hardcoded limits for modders.
The potential size and depth of mods is much greater than ever before, and if they give Med2 the same treatment, we can completely ignore what CA is doing and just play mods forever.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
The only thing I want from TW at this point is for Feral, the guys who ported Rome and Medieval 2 to mobile and made Rome Remastered, to make a Medieval 2 Remastered.
I mean Medieval 2 remastered makes a lot of sense at this point. I'm shocked that they haven't done it yet. But I didn't really like Rome Remastered, I felt it wasn't a perfect 1:1 replication of the original. Yes there were some improvements to the AI which were appreciated but it just didn't play exactly the same, I found playing Germania to be a nightmare to be honest, it felt better when playing the Roman factions, I did get a slight hint of bias when I played it.

But yeah Medieval 2 getting an update will be appreciated because I feel as though it'd benefit the most from the changes that Rome got. I wouldn't feel so bad if it played differently on account that Medieval 2 played a bit sloppy anyway, there was a distinct lack of variety compared to Rome because of how they changed it so that there was only 1 unique unit type per nation and the rest came from perk buildings, wasn't a massive fan of that because it meant there was no difference between playing England versus say playing Germany or Scotland. I want to be clear though I prefer Medieval 2 over Rome.

Kingdoms was where they figured it out. So if they could do a Kingdoms styled redo of the original grand campaign, that'd be incredible. My dream would be for a single unified campaign map where all of the kingdoms factions were added to the grand campaign and the Americas were expanded to include all of the natives thus giving something for the Aztecs to do while they wait for Europe. There is soo much scope with Medieval 2 it'd be a shame not to do that. Lets be honest here, you're going to still piss off the purists no matter what you do, so I say go nuts with it.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
I mean Medieval 2 remastered makes a lot of sense at this point. I'm shocked that they haven't done it yet. But I didn't really like Rome Remastered, I felt it wasn't a perfect 1:1 replication of the original. Yes there were some improvements to the AI which were appreciated but it just didn't play exactly the same, I found playing Germania to be a nightmare to be honest, it felt better when playing the Roman factions, I did get a slight hint of bias when I played it.
It's all about the total conversion mods, I haven't played vanilla Rome 1 or Medieval 2 in over a decade. In fact I played vanilla Rome for the first time again after purchasing Rome Remastered, and it surprised me how insanely fast the battles there are. I've gotten used to the slower, more methodical pace of Europa Barbarorum and other mods of its type.

Rome 1 and Medieval 2 are amazing platforms for total conversion mods, and Rome Remastered expands upon that a thousandfold. Just look at the massive monster of a mod that is RTR: Imperium Surrectum.
The same for Medieval 2 would be a dream.

Caim

Arcane
Played a lot of Medieval 2 in my day and a remaster would be fun, but I'm not sure if they're able to pull it off at this point without new and interesting ways to fuck it up again.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
The remaster of Rome was made by a third party (Feral), not CA themselves. The Medieval 2 remaster would be made by them too (they already ported it to mobile).

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
People want the opposite of innovation. The Sofia team tried to innovate with Troy, but everyone hated it for dumb reasons. Pharaoh is just bad because they didn't want to do the same as Troy but didn't have any more ideas on how to do that while keeping up with Bronze Age historicity. In the eyes of the hoi polloi, the only acceptable course of action is to go back to cavalry charges and nothing else.

The big problem i have with games like this is the regressions.

I don't have an issue with people wanting more of the same if it meant the game keeps getting better with each entry. But that's not what happens. Sometime features go missing, things that worked well in the previous entry are either absent or are poorly implemented if not downright broken. You can have good AI in one game and dog shit AI in the next even though little else changed.

Rome is the last Total War game i played and the reason i could never follow the series after that is that i have no interest in replaying the same shit over and over except it's always a mixed bag every single time. Sometimes things are worse, sometimes they are the same. Sometime they introduce new things, sometimes they don't. There's no consistency, no sense things are maturing along the way. It's just maddening to me and Total War is not the only series that does this.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom