Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Total War Lord of the Rings/Warhammer Fantasy

Destroid

Arcane
So it has just come to my attention that there are LotR and WFB total war mods (LotR for M2:TW and WFB for R:TW I believe), has anyone played these? Are they good? The last total war game I played was Shogun, but I might be tempted to play some of these.

Disconnected

Scholar
I haven't tried TATW in a year or two, but I just re-installed it this weekend. And promptly found myself totally paralysed by the sub-mods forum.

Any help?

ricolikesrice

Arcane
are the LOTR and Warhammer mods worth playing in singleplayer campaign (i.e. they didnt just add different looking units but also overhauled the campaign gameplay to better fit with the new setting...) or is it just "MTW2 with orks" ?

I ve just checked some vids for the warhammer mod and the battles look fantastic ... but if the campaigns arent worth playing on their own i m not that interested tbh .... anyone got a few impressions to share or links to a good "review" ?

Multi-headed Cow

And do the generals have traits and retinue like MTW2? Could have generals that are FLIRTING WITH CHAOS.

While the TATW mod has some quite nice art and is quite polished it pretty much suffers from the same thing as all the recent total war games/mods, it's to damned easy. Just as an example as Gondor I easily Blitzed my way through Mordor and the other Evil faction to the South at the same time, even with all the cheating the AI does with free stacks spawning every turn etc.

Custom battles are fun though with a nice selection of units (if some what few different unit types for some factions) both Graphically and in how they play. One strong point of the mod I have to say is that each faction plays differently as Dwarves pretty much has no cavalry and have to rely on rare merc. Orcs have huge hordes up to 250 soldiers per company.

kris

Arcane
Merkwürdigliebe said:
While the TATW mod has some quite nice art and is quite polished it pretty much suffers from the same thing as all the recent total war games/mods, it's to damned easy. Just as an example as Gondor I easily Blitzed my way through Mordor and the other Evil faction to the South at the same time, even with all the cheating the AI does with free stacks spawning every turn etc.

Note: I play a slightly older version.

I didn't find it that easy with Gondor on VH/VH. In fact I had to channel all resources for a long time just keeping them at bay in east osgiliath.

Otherwise, play orcs of the misty mountains, they are really difficult as you have enemies in all directions and elves are legion.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
kris said:
Merkwürdigliebe said:

I didn't find it that easy with Gondor on VH/VH. In fact I had to channel all resources for a long time just keeping them at bay in east osgiliath.

Otherwise, play orcs of the misty mountains, they are really difficult as you have enemies in all directions and elves are legion.

Same here, on VH/VH with the poor economy and sheer hordes of enemies I was hard pressed for a long time. Then I decided to move east, ignoring the southern coast and the Heradrim landed armies that rolled over most of my stripped bare lands. Was a real fight to try and salvage something, even as I finally had whittled down Mordor enough to have a respite. I don't see how you could easily roll over anything early on considering the cost to replenish your troops against the hordes forces you to stop from diverting funds to build up your economy. The sheer number of initial Mordor stacks also slow you down. Later the Heradrim join the party and while they aren't that tough, their number and propensity for landing troops on the southern shore tends to force you to divert troops there as well.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Call of Warhammer is quite awesome. Also it's really fucking brutal depending on which faction you play as. Currently playing with Reikland and holy shit it's hard. It takes a while until your unit recruitment pool replenishes, so for the first few turns you have to make do with what you got. Then there's scripted battles which you can choose to play, if you choose yes you spawn a large army with a good general but you'll also have to fight a gigantic enemy army that it usually twice as large as yours. You also get allied reinforcements but those are too few in number to make any difference.

Then you'll also get attacked by large stacks of beastmen in the beginning, and after a few turns a huge Orkish army will attack you.

Download the mod. Play as Reikland. Have fun getting raped. Especially the second scripted battle is FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU with the enemy reinforcements containing one squad of daemonettes and one squad of mounted daemonettes, which are totally overpowered high-end units that you have no hope of defeating with what you got, as if having to fight about double as many chaos warriors as you got soldiers wouldn't be rapistic enough already.

Deakul

Augur
Third Age Total War is an incredible mod that could've been sold as a standalone game and I would've bought it.

I want to try Call of Warhammer but last time I checked it, it wasn't even in English.
Is that not the case now?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Third Age is the most polished of the mods and also the most ambitious and realistic in its scope.

Looking forward to the next update since someone finally cracked the building and map database and modders can now alter and make new building and map graphics. That pretty much means that the sky is the limit now. Third Age is teasing with awesome screens of all sorts of Middle Earth locations. No more invading an orc stronghold and having to fight them on a generic european fortress map!

commie said:
kris said:
Merkwürdigliebe said:

Same here, on VH/VH with the poor economy and sheer hordes of enemies I was hard pressed for a long time. Then I decided to move east, ignoring the southern coast and the Heradrim landed armies that rolled over most of my stripped bare lands. Was a real fight to try and salvage something, even as I finally had whittled down Mordor enough to have a respite. I don't see how you could easily roll over anything early on considering the cost to replenish your troops against the hordes forces you to stop from diverting funds to build up your economy. The sheer number of initial Mordor stacks also slow you down. Later the Heradrim join the party and while they aren't that tough, their number and propensity for landing troops on the southern shore tends to force you to divert troops there as well.

tatw.jpg

Problem? :smug:

1. Just hold Mordor at Minas Ithil or Osgiliath if you can't take it, then go deal with the Haradrim
2. ???
3. Profit.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fourth age mods had oryginal campaign and realistic mail clad units, much closer to books than movie. Warhammer mod is not easy to obtian the links are often dead and torrent is corrupted, and it's indeed buggy as hell . From other intresting mods did your tried Thera?

kris

Arcane
Merkwürdigliebe said:
Problem? :smug:

1. Just hold Mordor at Minas Ithil or Osgiliath if you can't take it, then go deal with the Haradrim
2. ???
3. Profit.

Holding there is what you do for sure. But I see you got quite upgraded units there so for sure you can't have steamrolled Mordor that early. With the earlier troops you will lose more men and spend a lot on reinforing them. That push into Harad is difficult unless you get up much of an army that early time.

I also had a "Invasion" against east osgiliath which meant I got several full armies there at the same time.

Of course you can after some time steamroll anything.

Trash said:
Third Age is the most polished of the mods and also the most ambitious and realistic in its scope.

Looking forward to the next update since someone finally cracked the building and map database and modders can now alter and make new building and map graphics. That pretty much means that the sky is the limit now. Third Age is teasing with awesome screens of all sorts of Middle Earth locations. No more invading an orc stronghold and having to fight them on a generic european fortress map!

Do you have a link to this information? I would be very interested in further investigating this since I do some modding for the game, and the being able to make new building models especially for Fantasy mods and such would be awesome.

I think I just came :thumbsup:

Found the tool as well, damn this is going to be fun working with, thanks! I'm surprised though there wasn't really any noticeable posts in the modding section about this though, this is huge!

palantirion

Novice
There are a number of Middle-earth mods for the Total War series. Two for Rome's Barbarian Invasion (or Rome Gold) expansion, one for the Rome Alexander expansion, and one for Medieval 2.

Here is a brief on each:

Middle-earth: Total War (inspired by books) - the oldest of the four mods, but abandoned in a playable (and very gappy) beta. Set in Late Third Age.

Fourth Age: Total War (inspired by books). Series of very polished module releases. Set in the Fourth Age. Final full release out this year (2011) will be called "The Dominion of Men". Modding focus more on stability, features, varied gameplay, innovation and being as faithful as possible to Tolkien's world.

Lord of the Rings: Total War - open beta inspired by the movies and heavily focused on the actual events of the War of the Ring. Uses a lot of movie images and designs. Innovative use of models as mod leader is chiefly a modeller.

Third Age: Total War - open beta also inspired by movies (uses movie images and designs). Focus on visuals - battlemap building and units. This one is set in the Late Third Age and is for the Medieval 2 engine (which is similar to the Rome engine but has better battlemap buildings, though more game-breaking AI battle problems and less smooth and harder to control; its unit animations are a matter of taste as to whether they are considered better than Rome's)

You can find these and other TW mods listed here:

http://www.twcenter.net/wiki/Released_Mods

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom