Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Actually, some parts of PS:T are good even from a literary standpoint. The thematic coherency is on the highest level. Dakkon is an intensely dramatic character. The "love story" between TNO and Daionarra is much better than some classics, it's especially better than Romeo and Juliet *shudder*.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

jVQKtgT.jpg
2cOdMA9.png
Progress on that "neutral-negative" review, Infinitron? :M

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Lacrymas Well, de gustibus. In any case, isn't Romeo and Juliet about infatuation, not love? Watching the play as an adult, it comes across to me as mostly about youthful intensity (not just in love, but in friendship and in rivalry) and not about transcendental love, given that the play starts with Romeo expressing his undying devotion and deepest passions for the beautiful young girl of the rival house... Rosaline.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Lacrymas Well, de gustibus. In any case, isn't Romeo and Juliet about infatuation, not love? Watching the play as an adult, it comes across to me as mostly about youthful intensity (not just in love, but in friendship and in rivalry) and not about transcendental love, given that the play starts with Romeo expressing his undying devotion and deepest passions for the beautiful young girl of the rival house... Rosaline.
Yep. That's my impression as well. This play is way misunderstood by juvenile contemporaries, and, arguably, it was always misunderstood.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
MRY, in the 16th century they were the same thing, so that's a moot point. I recommend Denis de Rougemont's Love in the Western World for the context. Shakespeare actively despised Romeo and Juliet, because he thought it was the most cliche thing he had ever written, but audiences were flocking to it.

agris

Arcane
Patron
i was under the impression that R&J is mocking the characters as fickle and vapid, respectively, products of the upper class. perfect material for a play being seen by the lower class masses.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
They clearly weren't the same thing because Shakespeare's own plays and poems contain a huge and mature range of types of love in them. Heck, Much Ado About Nothing has basically the exact beats of a modern romantic comedy. Anyway, this is veering so wildly off topic there's not much sense in sticking to it.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Finished at last. Silver Tongue Nano. ~27 hours, completed most of the side-quests.

The main story line was okay, I was not really emotionally involved, there were no shocking twists, but I didn't find any plainly dumb parts either. On the other hand there were a lot of cool side-quests and characters plus the overall weird atmosphere did it's job. Can't tell anything about the writing because I played the Russian version, it was clearly unedited, but at least the translation was there at day one.

The companions (I took Aligern, Erritis and Rhin) were all rather boring. Erritis looked promising at the beginning, but even he appeared pretty insipid in the end.

Gameplay - I do not mind reading a lot, so the wordiness was a good thing for me. Can't say much about the roleplaying system and itemization, I boosted my INT all the way on level ups and got Scan Thoughts - that was all I need to complete the game. I barely used any Cyphers. The combat I was unwillingly involved in during Crises was really bad. It was Arcanum level bad. I felt like I have zero control on what was going on. Playing as a Nano the game felt like nice bizarre isometric Adventure game with strange roleplaying system and clunky combat system tied to it for some unknown reason.

I liked the way the game handles Castoff's death. I rarely reloaded the game when I failed something because in any case I got interesting outcomes.

The graphics: ugly character models (or it's just my old video card), bad mere and portraits art and nice backgrounds. Not as good as this though:

The sound: I'd prefer a bit more VA - at least one voiced phrases for some of the NPCs like First Castoff or Gar-koto would be great for giving more personality to the characters. Companion VA was okay. The Soundtrack was a bit disappointing - there are very few memorable melodies, one of them sounds like a b-side from PS:T OST. I'm sure Mark Morgan can do better than that if he stops posting SJW stuff on Twitter.

The performance was surprisingly decent on my 6 year old PC. I only had a black screen once (though I Alt-Tabbed the game and restarted) and had problems with using Effort a couple of times - the button went black and I was unable to press it. Otherwise the game ran well.

I want to replay the game using different classes and taking other companions, but I'll most likely wait for patches as long as InXile promised to rework the crises.

I have a mixed feelings about the game - I enjoyed playing and never had any thoughts like "Wow, this is awful, I can't stand this!" but when I start to analyze different aspects of the game I dislike or consider most of them mediocre. I think the best thing here is the unique atmosphere and weird setting - that's what kept my interest during the playthrough.

Compared to PS:T TToN is worse in every aspect (now I even don't think this Turn-Based combat system is better than that RTWP crap). Without comparing you can expect an unusual wordy game with odd atmosphere, which is very rare on today's market.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Finished at last. Silver Tongue Nano. ~27 hours, completed most of the side-quests.

The main story line was okay, I was not really emotionally involved, there were no shocking twists, but I didn't find any plainly dumb parts either. On the other hand there were a lot of cool side-quests and characters plus the overall weird atmosphere did it's job. Can't tell anything about the writing because I played the Russian version, it was clearly unedited, but at least the translation was there at day one.

The companions (I took Aligern, Erritis and Rhin) were all rather boring. Erritis looked promising at the beginning, but even he appeared pretty insipid in the end.

Gameplay - I do not mind reading a lot, so the wordiness was a good thing for me. Can't say much about the roleplaying system and itemization, I boosted my INT all the way on level ups and got Scan Thoughts - that was all I need to complete the game. I barely used any Cyphers. The combat I was unwillingly involved in during Crises was really bad. It was Arcanum level bad. I felt like I have zero control on what was going on. Playing as a Nano the game felt like nice bizarre isometric Adventure game with strange roleplaying system and clunky combat system tied to it for some unknown reason.

I liked the way the game handles Castoff's death. I rarely reloaded the game when I failed something because in any case I got interesting outcomes.

The graphics: ugly character models (or it's just my old video card), bad mere and portraits art and nice backgrounds. Not as good as this though:

The sound: I'd prefer a bit more VA - at least one voiced phrases for some of the NPCs like First Castoff or Gar-koto would be great for giving more personality to the characters. Companion VA was okay. The Soundtrack was a bit disappointing - there are very few memorable melodies, one of them sounds like a b-side from PS:T OST. I'm sure Mark Morgan can do better than that if he stops posting SJW stuff on Twitter.

The performance was surprisingly decent on my 6 year old PC. I only had a black screen once (though I Alt-Tabbed the game and restarted) and had problems with using Effort a couple of times - the button went black and I was unable to press it. Otherwise the game ran well.

I want to replay the game using different classes and taking other companions, but I'll most likely wait for patches as long as InXile promised to rework the crises.

I have a mixed feelings about the game - I enjoyed playing and never had any thoughts like "Wow, this is awful, I can't stand this!" but when I start to analyze different aspects of the game I dislike or consider most of them mediocre. I think the best thing here is the unique atmosphere and weird setting - that's what kept my interest during the playthrough.

Compared to PS:T TToN is worse in every aspect (now I even don't think this Turn-Based combat system is better than that RTWP crap). Without comparing you can expect an unusual wordy game with odd atmosphere, which is very rare on today's market.

*psst* Hey, kid.

Wanna write a neutral-negative review?
12987.jpg

RationalLunatic

Literate
I have a mixed feelings about the game - I enjoyed playing and never had any thoughts like "Wow, this is awful, I can't stand this!" but when I start to analyze different aspects of the game I dislike or consider most of them mediocre.

I feel you, bro. It's like this game can't even do a good job at allowing you to hate it. Not awfully bad, by no means great, just meh.

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
So I just finished this game and I quite like it. Everybody't entitled to their opinion, and the majority here seems to hate it, but I don't care. The game was entertaining and it broadened my mind.

The game is wordy, make no mistake. At first I was afraid the lore dumps would kill me, but instead I grew stronger (by comparison, Pillars bored me with its exposition, aside from a few truly interesting ideas like the animal-soul-children). In the end, I ended up caring about a lot of the things that happened in the game.
There were a lot of ideas, places and characters in the game that I found myself intrigued by and wanting to learn more.
Inifere aka the Rap God. Why the fuck I couldn't discuss the latest revelations with him in the Labyrinth, though? :negative:
The Lascars. Is their ship ever supposed to come? I wonder what would have happened if I had stolen their navigation device...
The Bloom and what Matkina will do with it.
Fucking Erritis.
Whatever happened to Melmoth Leviarm (the founder of corpse-eaters)? I managed to save him in Miel Avest, but never found him afterwards. I would've liked to have talked to the main Dendra-o-Hur guy in Sagus Cliffs about him.
What happened to the time travelling Bloom craftsman, since I sold the info of his past (future) wife to the Decanted? I wanted to see his reaction to it.
etc...
By comparison, even though the gameplay (combat) in it was arguably more fun, I don't remember a single significant thing about Divinity Original Sin's plot. All I remember is "Not in the mood for cheese" and that you fight a dragon in the end.
On a side note, I also wish they implemented some more cool hidden endings. I've even thought of one
if you somehow manage to trap the Sorrow beyond the endless gate, then close it (possibly trapping yourself there, as well). Let the Sorrow battle it out with the nameless things that dwell there, since they seem more than a match for it.

I enjoyed the combat as well, I thought it was pretty fun and quick. It can be a bit of a bore to sit through a lot of enemies' turns, but that's a problem with any turn-based game. There were just enough abilities to make it fun, although I wish there were some truly overpowered ones.

The game only froze once in the entire time, and that's when I left it running overnight. I also found just 1 minor bug. So bugs/stability-wise, I don't know what's everybody's problem.

My biggest complaint with the game is that it DOESN'T HAVE QUITE ENOUGH CONTENT. Between the cut strech goal content (that they promised to return/add in the near future), and not quite enough quests/reactivity, and no world map, the game seems too short and shallow at times. I think it's Baldur's Gate 1 syndrome, where they spent too much time implementing everything and not enough time adding stuff in. If they make an expansion or a sequel, I hope it will be kind of like BG2 and allow us to explore the Ninth World a lot more and play around in it.
As it is, I give the game about 7 symbols of Torment out of 10.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
MrBuzzKill You can't discuss the revelations about him because I didn't have time as a writer to add that level of depth to his reflection in the Labyrinth and because I didn't know enough about the structure of the game to know what would be topical when. That's all on me. You can't
trap the Sorrow beyond the endless gate
because it won't cross that threshold in the first place.

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
MrBuzzKill You can't discuss the revelations about him because I didn't have time as a writer to add that level of depth to his reflection in the Labyrinth and because I didn't know enough about the structure of the game to know what would be topical when. That's all on me. You can't
trap the Sorrow beyond the endless gate
because it won't cross that threshold in the first place.
Why not? Is there an in-universe explanation I missed?

Azarkon

Arcane
To be fair, they are aware of that absuridty; one of the central conceits of the setting is that humans mysteriously reappeared in the Ninth World a few thousand years ago. Nobody knows how long they were gone or who or what brought them back, but several of the predecessor civilisations were nonhuman.

It's not that absurd that there could be pockets of creatures resembling humans a billion years into the future. They'd be our modern equivalent of living fossils. Horseshoe crabs, which do resemble their ancestors that lived 450 million years ago, is an example. A new species of humans could also have evolved from apes by this time. In the former case, they'd have to come up with how this population managed to preserve most of the morphological features of today's humans while remaining relatively isolated. In the latter case, they'd have to explain why evolution favored a second emergence of humans from apes. In both cases, they'd have to develop a million or billion years long history for these populations.

But I guess it's just easier to say 'humans similar to those in our world appeared a few thousand years ago! IT'S A MYSTARY!'

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I'm pretty sure that conceit was mine, and my reasoning was that basically the Sorrow knew its own limits well enough to avoid that place -- which is exactly why TCG set out to open the Gate in the first place, as a bolt-hole from the Sorrow, but it turned out to be inadequate. I can't remember now whether he did so because he had concerns about the assailability of the moon or whether he made the moon because he realized the area beyond the Gate was unsuitable for hiding out. In any event, Inifere specifically says that the Sorrow can't come in, and then he offers to let you stay there if you want to escape the Sorrow, which is a game-ending choice.

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
I'm pretty sure that conceit was mine, and my reasoning was that basically the Sorrow knew its own limits well enough to avoid that place -- which is exactly why TCG set out to open the Gate in the first place, as a bolt-hole from the Sorrow, but it turned out to be inadequate. I can't remember now whether he did so because he had concerns about the assailability of the moon or whether he made the moon because he realized the area beyond the Gate was unsuitable for hiding out. In any event, Inifere specifically says that the Sorrow can't come in, and then he offers to let you stay there if you want to escape the Sorrow, which is a game-ending choice.
Thanks for clarifying, now I feel like a retard for not remembering that the basic reason Inifere even went there in the first place was to hide from the Sorrow. Maybe those things are the reason it won't come in? I'm just a sucker for huge powerful entities conflicting with each other.
Sorrow vs the Bloom
The Bloom vs Things
The Adversaries vs the Bloom
The Dalad vs the race that built Waits-For-Prey

Possibly my favorite quote from the game:

c0d2f98089394759858e22ba27a43432.jpeg

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer

Thanks. :D

The sad thing is, reading through your list of versus match-ups, I realize how little I actually know about the game's content. I'm not even sure who the Dalad are. (Did you mean Tabaht? In which case, I believe they're actually the ones who made Waits-for-Prey....)

MrBuzzKill

Arcane

Thanks. :D

The sad thing is, reading through your list of versus match-ups, I realize how little I actually know about the game's content. I'm not even sure who the Dalad are. (Did you mean Tabaht? In which case, I believe they're actually the ones who made Waits-for-Prey....)
You did that Philethis too? Wow, I seem to be a fan of your writing.
As for the Dalad, they're
the race that originally researched and made (practical use of?) the Tides, and possibly the race that created the Sorrow as well. It's revealed in one of the 2 last meres.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
As for the Dalad, they're
the race that originally researched and made (practical use of?) the Tides, and possibly the race that created the Sorrow as well. It's revealed in one of the 2 last meres.
I believe that's the Tabaht, and if so, they are the same ones who built that construct (at least, I think so).,

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Question: if Planescape Torment would have an succesor but not in Planescape world (due to licence), what setting would be the most appropriate beside Numenera?

Prime Junta

Question: if Planescape Torment would have an succesor but not in Planescape world (due to licence), what setting would be the most appropriate beside Numenera?

Malazan.

The answer is always Malazan.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom