Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

Lambach

Arcane
But I am too busy clicking purple globes, looking at pretty scenery and waiting for some sort of revelation from the game for now.

Now that you put it that way, maybe I should try getting stoned as fuck before playing.

Is the alien guy with a special interest in reproduction in the Ministry of Truth a parody of the average Bioware fan?

Can you leave NPCs behind and pick them later, of some of them leave forever?
I'm talking about that kid that you can pick with you, but she whines a lot if you try to dump her. With just 3 npc the party feels to small.

Shadenuat

Arcane
NOOOO THEY TOOK THE LOLI WITH GODROCK FROM MEH

Is the alien guy with a special interest in reproduction in the Ministry of Truth a parody of the average Bioware fan?

Can you leave NPCs behind and pick them later, of some of them leave forever?
I'm talking about that kid that you can pick with you, but she whines a lot if you try to dump her. With just 3 npc the party feels to small.
You can even summon most of them or possibly all using some special item you find from across the whole game even if you left them like 3 game story arcs ago in the first city.

Sratopotator

Savant
It's good game. Nothing to see in this thread, move along. (even the butthurt is minimal, wtf)

It's great game for story(telling)fags, atmospherefags, side content-fags. Everybody else need not apply.
And it's no wonder, PS:T was strong in these categories and weak in others. Maybe apart from companion npcs, they're very meh in Numenera.
The tone of the game is dark enough to get a little planescape-y feeling, something i was worried about when looking at the art direction of the whole project - too colorful and bright. UI is somewhat functional, but it's obviously barely thought-out and ugly as fuck. And, writing is uneven. Sometimes it's insightful, funny, maybe even smart, and sometimes it's borderline shit - certainly PS:T crushes Numenera in terms of consistent writing.

I did not finish it yet, but it's fun. Fun enough to buy, (DC 2018 edition of course, it's the best!) i might even do it, but i have hard time giving money to Fargo.

I have one question about the game to people who finished it - Are there any more complex interactions with companions? Something like Dakkon's zerthimon stuff, or catching Morte on lies. Or is it all: "Ask me about this in Act IV" shit??

tldr: Something that PST and Numanuma have indisputably in common, is they're both imperfect as fuck. Meaning it's a faithful "sequel"!! And, you can even say that Numenera is objectively a better game, because it's much less of an JRPG!!

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Unity engine + lots of area transitions and loading screens.

Never a good combo.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Do you have anything else about the game you want to call out or talk about?

Chris Avellone:
It's great to see Tides of Numenera pick up the torch - and I wouldn't mind seeing Torment itself continue in the original Planescape universe. Who knows? Maybe there's hope.

:abyssgazer:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Dropping mage duels, harsh counters and overpowered items in PoE is not sticking to the original formula.

Eh, there's plenty of seriously overpowered items in PoE. Not many hard counters perhaps, but having items that boost defense vs an ailment by +30 is pretty damn good and should generally be enough.
Mage duels are indeed notably absent.
Nothing like Gram the sword of grief, which drains one level per hit Or Aslyferund Elven Chain which makes you completely immune to unenchanted weapons is in BG2 is in PoE.

Gram: Pretty neat, though the enemies still have to fail the death save. Wonder how often that happens at the Throne of Bhaal levels when you get the level draining effect.
Aslyferund Elven Chain: Immune to mundane. Really? Too bad almost noone uses unenchanted weapons when you get it. Still a good armor for a mage or bard.

Meanwhile in PoE we have among others:
Stormcaller: A fast hunting bow which has a 10% chance to cast Returning Storm on hit when wielded by a Ranger, which does good damage and stuns enemies in a large radius AND attacks with this bow lower enemy resistance to Shock AND it deals Pierce/Shock damage, whichever the enemies resist less. This item is considered unfair by many and some shun using it in their games, since it stunlocks entire crowds indefinitely, while dealing high damage.
Cipher and Chanter also get strong Shock spells from their respective spellbooks on hit.

Steadfast: a sword that grants Outmanouvering passive to Fighters, Chanters and Wizards. Making them target enemy Willpower rather then Deflection (AC), if it's lower. It also gives immunity to Fear.
For other classes it may cast Sunlance on Hit, Champion's Boon (+10 Might, +10 Per & +5DR) on kill or Restore Major Endurance.

Shod-In-Faith: Boots that cast Consecrated Ground when Critically Hit: a powerful aoe heal-over-time, which mostly eliminates the need for individual healing spells.

Armor, Cloak, Shield which grant Retaliate (which stack).

The Unlabored Blade: a dagger with a small chance to cast a powerfull offensive bouncing spell Firebug on Crit. Crits happen very often though, especially for a barbarian who attacks in a huge aoe. Also +20% attack speed, some other spells per rest, up to Mythic quality.

Ryona's Breastplate: Various powerful defensive buffs

St. Ydwen's Redeemer: already mentioned, kills Vessels (undead) on hit. May also cast Pillar of Faith for a Fighter (damage+knockdown), Divine Mark for a Paladin (damage + AC debuff) or Despondent Blows (ToHit debuff) for Barbarians. Plus Revive 1/rest.

Abydon's Hammer: kills Eyeless on crit and many other powers.

Forgemaster's Gloves: Summons Firebrand 3x per rest. Firebrand is a flaming sword which deals purely Fire damage, has much higher base damage and +0,5 Crit damage modifier. Makes a Barbarian's aoe Carnage explode with each attack, like a human fireball. Is buffed by Scion of Flame. Note it was nerfed, because at launch the sword targeted enemy Reflex defence, rather then Deflection (AC), so was completly overpowered vs most enemies.

Many "regular" artifacts Prone on Crit, Stun on Crit and do other nasty stuff. Note Crits are much easier to achiever in PoE then in IE games. You can buff accuracy in relation to enemy (lowered) deflection by roughly 60 pts. And you have effects with 20-30% Hit to Crit conversion.
So I could list many other items that are VERY strong. But I think that's enough for now.
Some of the soulbound stuff's highlight is %age chance to cast spell on hit :lol: BG2 has lot more interesting itemization due to hard counters.
just refer mikes rpg center he lists pretty much every equipment in bg2. The 2 i mentioned are just from the top of my head.

Also the highlight of BG2 was the mage duels. Spell Triggers Contingencies and Sequencers anyone? Compared that to neutered spells in PoE. sheesh.

So what is wrong with % chance to trigger an effect on hit? Silver Sword also had what, 10% chance on a CRIT to roll a low Reflex check or die? So roughly once every 100 connecting attacks enemy must do an (easy-ish) save or die?
Hard counters? PoE now has these as well. At least for some effects, like Fear, Prone. Plus lot of spell effects being triggered on being critted.
Plus the items in PoE interact with character abilities in interesting ways. BG didn't have that... but obviously the characters didn't have any interesting special abilities there.

And yeah, yeah, no mage duels in PoE. A shame. But it's not impossible to make a great game without them. Contingencies and Sequencers are cool, but PoE has a fair share of stupidly overpowered spell effects without directly copying everything.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
It's not happening, man. It's not.

I know.

And I also know, that if it's going to happen, MCA would just do some useless and shallow job on it, like designing a pet.

I really wonder about MCA motivations; the man has been doing unremarkable side jobs on other people works since... ever? Doesn't he want to create something of his own (again)?

Lambach

Arcane
So what is wrong with % chance to trigger an effect on hit? Silver Sword also had what, 10% chance on a CRIT to roll a low Reflex check or die? So roughly once every 100 connecting attacks enemy must do an (easy-ish) save or die?

c422226858ce79283677cd98916dd688.png

Plus lot of spell effects being triggered on being critted.

Spell crits only extend the duration and/or damage, IIRC.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Okay, so I must have confused the effect of the Silver Sword with the Neverwinter Nights version. Doesn't change the fact that the effect doesn't work very often.

Regarding spell effects triggered, I meant lots of items with spell effects triggered when the character who wears the item gets critted.

Lambach

Arcane
Okay, so I must have confused the effect of the Silver Sword with the Neverwinter Nights version. Doesn't change the fact that the effect doesn't work very often.

There is no Silver Sword in NWN1, and in NWN2 it doesn't have the instakill ability, it has a bunch of activated ones.

Regardless, nobody can honestly claim the itemization in PoE is better or at least on-par with BG2. They improved it in TWM but it still felt a bit meh.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Do you guys visited the cirurgical parlor? I just made a transplant with a numenera analyser. There are a bunch of other weird shit there to buy.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I was constantly referencing this, and once when tabbing out, I realized that I can't be the only one annoyed by the arbitrary nature of The Tides, and since the devs shitcanned the codex, the entire idea of the tides is obtuse, so I thought I'd simply share this:

4Dl2f5M.png

I didn't have to include the quote on the bottom, but I did it just so everyone knows that the writers had absolutely no fucking clue what Alignments actually are or how they work.

For some reason, my character is solid gold, and seems to be dipping in and out of silver. This is incredibly odd, because while I always try to not be an asshole, that's not at all what I'm going for. It also seems to be easy to rack up red without actually being passionate, emotional or zealous - which is partly because you never know how to read certain sentences.

Every game should at least have the Disposition/Reputation system of PoE if they can't have good writing. Knowing whether you're being [Aggressive], [Benevolent] or [Deceptive] when you say "Hand it over" is actually quite helpful.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
WE WUZ PLANETESCAPE TOURNAMENT AND SHIEET.
Fuck this

PSnQvaR.png
Yeah. Did this when I realized I was just going places and brainlessly consuming content for like 6 hours. Very strong feeling of "I should be doing something else with my time" that one generally gets when playing Ubisoft open world games.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I'm saying this because that greek reviewer was trashing the game saying that numenera items don't do anything, but apparently they do.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
You have literally just spent previous 10 pages raging that developers absolutely can't change the original formula. Now apparently that they're not innovating enough. If you keep doing 180s at this rate you will generate enough electricity to power a small city.

Everyone has their own mixture of tradition and innovation, including RPG devs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom