Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The problem isn't really the lack of castillian
I've seen two (three?) reviews specifically complaining about the lack of Castillian, but it would be awesome if that's just shorthand for bad Spanish. :D

As I said, the lack of catillian is still important for most spaniards. But the really important part is still the translation's lack of quality.

I don't know what you're trying to say here, that the translation is fine and we complain because it's in latin american spanish, or aside of being bad, we can't stand a non castillian translation, which I have already agreed with.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I just found the issue an amusing one since the reviews did not call out the quality other than to say that it was in the wrong kind of Spanish. I realize that there are considerable variations in Spanish, it just struck me as funny.

I have no idea what the quality of the translation is, since I haven't seen any of the Spanish texts and wouldn't be great at judging them anyway.

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
what sucks is that now I can't finish a crisis designed around occupying some idiot with a companion because AFAIK there's no way to re-recruit companions in the bloom.
Use the Bronze Sphere

Sentinel

Arcane
Nah, the philethis would not have been a good companion. The shtick gets old fast, as anyone who watched the ur-philethis Kosh on Babylon 5 knows. :D I think the three encounters with it (them?) are ample for that character.
I'd take him in a heartbeat over those people that I carried mostly for extra effort points and cipher slots

You know, that's my biggest gripe with the game so far. Having dialogues and interaction with environment tied to a dice roll felt fresh and engaging at first, but if you're trying to play completionist, it quickly becomes a game of how do I extract more points, instead of an roleplaying game.
Why do devs keep going for dice-rolls instead of determined required values like for example New Vegas did?
Only thing it does is encourage save scumming.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I just found the issue an amusing one since the reviews did not call out the quality other than to say that it was in the wrong kind of Spanish.

Gamereactor spain definetly did.

Además, parece haber sido traducido por dos personas totalmente diferentes. Algunos párrafos son preciosos, coherentes, con giros neutros que conservan ese toque literario del original, pero de pronto se cruza un galimatías sin sentido, sintaxis extrañas, frases confusas que hacen que las conversaciones no tengan sentido. En algunos casos podría ser excusable, porque la cantidad de personajes que hablan de forma críptica o que están locos es muy alta en un juego como Torment Tides of Numenera, pero aquí hablamos directamente de fallos a la altura de Google Translate que dificultan diálogos ya de por sí densos y que requieren un esfuerzo de comprensión lectora.

https://www.gamereactor.es/analisis/378823/Torment+Tides+of+Numenera/?page=2

I also commented about its poor quality in my review, even if I didn't gave much details (again, I changed languages pretty early on)

While the dislike for having to endure a latin american spanish translation is real and inevitable among spaniards (look for Simpsons clips in latin american and catillian and read the comments if you want to go down the rabbit hole), I would prefer if it didn't distract from the most pressing issue here, which is that the quality of the translation itself needs to be addressed. And looking at the InXile forums, seems like most of them need to be addressed.

pippin

The producers thought the first Homer in the latino spanish dub was better for the character than Castellaneta by a long shot :shittydog:

I do think it's a bit unprofessional to do that, though. Just like we have chinese and simplified chinese, and br speak and portuguese, we should have latin spanish and iberian spanish.
After that we could have american and english as well :M

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
So, nobody knows if I can change faction when I don't need the free rests anymore? ;d

Projas

Patron
So, nobody knows if I can change faction when I don't need the free rests anymore? ;d
The game doesn't really have joinable factions, the cult is probably the only exception and only in certain circumstances. So you'll be fine.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
genocide should have been a companion
Sign me up.

Uh when only one person in the thread is saying he finished the game that quickly you should consider the possibility that he's a freakishly fast reader before pulling out he Fargo memes

And it's supposed to be replayable with different C&C, just like AoD. Apparently some whiners didn't get the memo.

It's pretty on-rails, though, with an extremely limited number of CNPC:s. Aside from doing a playthrough we're you're trying to fail every single check on purpose (because there's no other way), I'm really not seeing any replay value here.

There is no faction system in the game of any meaning whatsoever, so by consequence, you don't need to worry about that.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
While the dislike for having to endure a latin american spanish translation is real and inevitable among spaniards (look for Simpsons clips in latin american and catillian and read the comments if you want to go down the rabbit hole), I would prefer if it didn't distract from the most pressing issue here, which is that the quality of the translation itself needs to be addressed. And looking at the InXile forums, seems like most of them need to be addressed.

I only saw one picture of the Spanish translation, and indeed, it feels off. I'm one to play all of my games in English, no exceptions, even when it comes to games like Planescape: Torment. So I admit I'm a little biased towards the English original. But I don't have this problem with movies themselves, as long as the dub is extremely professional (have you seen Disney's Zorro in Latin American Spanish? It was so good I thought that was the original language).

Let's see if you agree with me. With this image in mind:

2017225173342_1.jpg

Here's how I would translate it:

Qorro - Éxito: Qorro te examina unos instantes y suspira.

- De acuerdo -dice-. Déjanos saber si ves algo que pueda ser de nuestro interés. Quisiera poder decir que puedo pagar por tu favor, pero de ser ricos no estaríamos aquí, ¿verdad?

[Escanear pensamientos] - Si no dice la verdad, ha de ser un excelente mentiroso. Debo haberme equivocado.

pippin

From that screen, I can see the mistakes are not just based on translation issues, but on basic writing ones as well. In any kind of writing, avoiding the repetition of words is like rule 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6.

Projas

Patron
It's pretty on-rails, though, with an extremely limited number of CNPC:s. Aside from doing a playthrough we're you're trying to fail every single check on purpose (because there's no other way), I'm really not seeing any replay value here.
There are usually different ways to solve quests and different outcomes. And it doesn't usually depend on failing or passing a skill check. There's replayability in that.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
It's the fourth time this comes up in a conversation:

067AQ4d.png

But it's never explained what the "Tidal Affinity Skill" actually fucking is, or how it's accessed. And this is fairly early on, so don't give me some shit about how it'll be unlocked as part of the story, because if so, the game is even worse than I thought. Seriously, why the fuck are there listed conversation requirements that makes no fucking sense to the player at the point in which the restriction is presented? Fuck you, inXile.

There are usually different ways to solve quests and different outcomes. And it doesn't usually depend on failing or passing a skill check. There's replayability in that.

Different choices does not mean that there's different consequences, or that the consequences are somehow relevant. So far all I've seen are different routes to the same conclusion.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy

I will say this again. There is no way of telling whether the tides are actually providing different outcomes or not. You need to play the game at least one more time and try different things to see if there is any difference. I just found one explicit opportunity to use a tide until now.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
It's the fourth time this comes up in a conversation:

067AQ4d.png

But it's never explained what the "Tidal Affinity Skill" actually fucking is, or how it's accessed. And this is fairly early on, so don't give me some shit about how it'll be unlocked as part of the story, because if so, the game is even worse than I thought. Seriously, why the fuck are there listed conversation requirements that makes no fucking sense to the player at the point in which the restriction is presented? Fuck you, inXile.

It can be unlocked within 15 minutes of reaching sagus cliff. Or 15 hours, if you don't go right but center/left first and get tied in other quests.

Would you like a quest compass?

pippin

The controversy over Castilian vs. Latin American Spanish amused me (as someone whose learned Spanish variously from a Cuban-American, a Costa Rican school, and a semester abroad in Spain).

cuban and costa rican aren't proper sources of latino spanish
central americans are fake latinos

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent

I will say this again. There is no way of telling whether the tides are actually providing different outcomes or not. You need to play the game at least one more time and try different things to see if there is any difference.

It doesn't help that the tides are in no way consistent. You can easily slip in and out of various tidal alignments, so it's not even like you can say "I'm going to go for X, because I went Y last time", making comparison fucking nonsensical.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Say what you will about consoles, but first party Sony games get fully dubbed and translated European Portuguese.

It's a way to create engagement with younger players or those players not comfortable with English, building loyal fan base that will buy future releases.

Shitting on your buyers with poor localization only breads bad will... You can't imagine how pissed a Portuguese player gets if his game is dubbed in Brazilian Portuguese, or a Spanish player being forced to hear south American castillan.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
[...]

The thing with a quest compass is that some games are so shitty that they need a quest compass. You remove the quest compass from Oblivion or Skyrim or pretty much any modern-day ARPG, you have no idea where you need to go, because it's never actually conveyed to you where you need to go - the game is designed around the quest compass, and without it, the game becomes a lesson in frustration. There are, however, games that are designed by retards and that could use a quest compass, but they still opt out of having a quest compass. They then use this as an excuse in their next game "because people were confused" or frustrated with not knowing what was going on or couldn't find quest locations, instead of actually designing a game that isn't shit.

So yes, by all means, since Tides of Numenera is evidently so shit that it could use a quest compass, give me a quest compass. Spell that shit out to me and hold my hand, because the game is being an obtuse piece of shit for absolutely no reason.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
[...]

The thing with a quest compass is that some games are so shitty that they need a quest compass. You remove the quest compass from Oblivion or Skyrim or pretty much any modern-day ARPG, you have no idea where you need to go, because it's never actually conveyed to you where you need to go - the game is designed around the quest compass, and without it, the game becomes a lesson in frustration. There are, however, games that are designed by retards and that could use a quest compass, but they still opt out of having a quest compass. They then use this as an excuse in their next game because people were frustrated with not knowing what was going on or couldn't find quest locations, instead of actually designing a game that isn't shit.

So yes, by all means, since Tides of Numenera is evidently so shit that it could use a quest compass, give me a quest compass. Spell that shit out to me and hold my hand, because the game is being an obtuse piece of shit for absolutely no reason.

So.. exactly like PS:T. At least they succeeded in that (I still fukcing remember trying to become mage with TNO for the first time. Hours well spent on searching enlightenment)

Projas

Patron

I will say this again. There is no way of telling whether the tides are actually providing different outcomes or not. You need to play the game at least one more time and try different things to see if there is any difference. I just found one explicit opportunity to use a tide until now.
I'm not talking about tides. I'm talking about actually seeing a different outcome based on how you choose to solve the quest. Tides are just cosmetic from what I've seen so far.
[...]

The thing with a quest compass is that some games are so shitty that they need a quest compass. You remove the quest compass from Oblivion or Skyrim or pretty much any modern-day ARPG, you have no idea where you need to go, because it's never actually conveyed to you where you need to go - the game is designed around the quest compass, and without it, the game becomes a lesson in frustration. There are, however, games that are designed by retards and that could use a quest compass, but they still opt out of having a quest compass. They then use this as an excuse in their next game "because people were confused" or frustrated with not knowing what was going on or couldn't find quest locations, instead of actually designing a game that isn't shit.

Have some patience, jesus. You'll get it eventually, there is nothing confusing or obtuse about obtaining it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom